The USFL is back

Make it a late spring/summer league so it's not up against the NFL. It would make the USFL a good league for teams to send players who they might consider signing for further evaluation. How about a team in Rochester at Sahlen's Stadium?

PTR

I conquer with this fellow.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True farm team would turn my interest from 0% to 100%. That would be exciting.

Agreed!

The NFL Network could use some original programming. It would be better then the CFL.

PTR

Another great idea. NFLN gets hard to watch at times.

I have a hard time believing that any NFL-sanctioned minor league could not be profitable. I know owners lost money on NFLE but that had to be more about maintaining an operation offshore and all the associated costs. I could be wrong but it just seems like a no-brainer.

PTR

• 3 months later...

Wow so it wasn't a April fools joke. :worthy: Cool! That makes this interesting. If they were smart they would put one in Mexico City and maybe some other Canadian city (not TO or Hamilton) nearish the boarder, Just outside of the US is what the NFL would be smart to expand to if they really were interested in making it a "world" sport (which in my opinion they are not in the least). Also Rochester wouldn't be a bad place.

You must compete in fall. The most successful league that did so was the American Football League and that lead to the great NFL. We are wired to watch the greatest game in the fall and early winter. Football itself is based on maximum competition and if another league wants to make it they're gonna have to face the giant head on. Across the street from McDonalds is a wendys or BK. give the consumer a choice on Sundays.

You must compete in fall. The most successful league that did so was the American Football League and that lead to the great NFL. We are wired to watch the greatest game in the fall and early winter. Football itself is based on maximum competition and if another league wants to make it they're gonna have to face the giant head on. Across the street from McDonalds is a wendys or BK. give the consumer a choice on Sundays.

Not so. The original USFL might have survived had they kept the spring schedule. It was the foolish idea to move to a competing schedule with the NFLmthat put the final nail in the coffin. One of the major draws was that there would be football when you would normally be stuck watching baseball training league.

fact is, the NFL is so huge now, that another league will never be able to directly compete. Maybe 25 years ago, but not now...

They should make it a true minor/developmental league for the NFL. Then all the professional caliber prospects can go play there instead of the NCAA. Get all the ridiculous money and corruption out of college sports.

They should make it a true minor/developmental league for the NFL. Then all the professional caliber prospects can go play there instead of the NCAA. Get all the ridiculous money and corruption out of college sports.

Agreed.

Some of those college players who have zero basis for being on a college campus could play in the developmental leagues instead.

Football could be just like in hockey where there are numerous sources of player talent (college, juniors, semi-pro)

Agreed.

Some of those college players who have zero basis for being on a college campus could play in the developmental leagues instead.

Football could be just like in hockey where there are numerous sources of player talent (college, juniors, semi-pro)

Exactly. What's the tiny percentage of college football players that ever play a down in the NFL? It's gotta be less than 5%. Skim that small amount of talent off the top, send them to the USFL, and it's not like Michigan/Ohio State, Auburn/Bama or any other college game with rabid fanbases will be any less compelling. Then all the scuzzball agents, jewelers and other assorted gladhanders are free to glom onto the USFL players.

Edited by jimmyo

Agreed.

Totally agree. The NCAA and college programs are just money making scams. I wish they would get out of the education field. Just own a team instead and pay these kids already, best of luck to the new league, hope it does well. I will watch it.

Agreed.

This pretty much hits it on the head. If the new league was a "semi-pro" type of league it would benefit all parties involved. The NFL could pool talent there, colleges wouldn't be so rdiculous. The only thing I'd add is to a reply from someone else that the league should be in spring/summer. I say the opposite. Play games on a certain day(s) of the week but in the fall. When I think football I automatically think fall/winter. The only problem is trying to compete with a schedule. Of course youbdont want to go up against NFL on Sundays or NCAA on Saturdays. Picking a day is the hardest part. Maybe something like half the games on Tues night and the other half on Wed night.

Now they can get a team back in Los Angeles.

Exactly. This worked out fine for NFL Europe.

Also since they are targeting San Jose, it would be foolish to have it going the same time as the NFL season, especially with the 49'ers moving to Santa Clara.

LA will get their team but it will be the RAIDERS!

If they are to do this league again, they should stop targeting cities that just don't support football teams (i.e. Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Orlando). Since it is a spring league the teams should be put in cities that already have NFL teams or in cities near them (i.e. Newark, Arlington, Boston, San Jose, Birmingham, Houston, Chicago, maybe even Niagara Falls Canada).

Agreed.

Gee--it's like the UFL never existed.

Anyway, why would any top college prospect bypass the best way into the NFL and instead join the equivalent (at best) of the NBA's D league? The USFL, or any other pro league not the NFL, by definition would be for guys who couldn't make it into the NFL or were dumped out.

And the "USFL" has given itself a deadline of Sept to get commitments from 8 currently nonexistent team owners in unknown cities? That's 7 weeks way.