What Buddy Says He'll Do, He Does

Of course, Buddy's definition of "being straight with him" could differ from Fred's when it gets down to dollars and cents. That said, Buddy told him they'd talk and discuss an extension, and that's exactly what they're doing.

I'm interested to see how this goes. I would guess that Freddy is going to be looking for something similar to the 4yr $32m extensiion ($18m guaranteed) that Marshawn just got. I would she shocked if the Bills are interested in giving him anything even close to that. I'm not even sure the Bills are going to want to pay him what CJ is getting (5yr $25m with $20.8 guaranteed). I'm thinking a 2 yr extension with $9-12m in new money is what will be offered.

I believe that an extension will be more of a pay raise without the intention of keeping Jackson following next season. The re-signing of Choice keeps depth and size.

Agreed. That or a deal with most of the money up front so the Bills can easily walk away if need be.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I'm interested to see how this goes. I would guess that Freddy is going to be looking for something similar to the 4yr $32m extensiion ($18m guaranteed) that Marshawn just got. I would she shocked if the Bills are interested in giving him anything even close to that. I'm not even sure the Bills are going to want to pay him what CJ is getting (5yr $25m with $20.8 guaranteed). I'm thinking a 2 yr extension with $9-12m in new money is what will be offered.

It will surely be a tough negotiation which is why Buddy deserves all the respect in the world. It isn't an easy job when it comes to the business side of the NFL and so Buddy has done an excellent job of bringing back a couple of our own players with the addition of MW and Anderson.

Last year in the draft he and his team of scouts and coaches did an excellent job with the picks. The year before that not so much. But if we have a strong draft this year, Buddy will be remembered forever with us Bills fans and be mentioned in the same sentence with Polian mark my words.

I just love the honesty in Buddy and Chan... Buddy's definitely more of a negotiator than Chan which is why Nix does what he does and Chan coaches. But you can look both those guys in their eyes and see the truth.

Let's please put the will Fred Jackson be traded talk to rest please... We love him, Buddy loves him and he will get paid...

http://m.buffalobills.com/s/5960/153?itemPos=3

I believe Buddy will do what he said he would do but i'm not sure that Fred & Buddy will be on the same page when it comes to the money part of the new contract !!

I just read an article on BB.com & it was a interview with Buddy & he said some thing like - we will be as straight with Fred as we need to be ..

That in some ways tells me that Buddy is not going to give Fred the kind of money that let's say Matt Forte is going to get , even though Fred had the same or even better stats than Forte ..

The age thing is going to wind up raising it's head in the contract negotiations & although the numbers might be fair for a RB over 30 i don't think that it will be all that Fred is thinking he wants .. But hey Buddy has recently knocked me over with the whole Mario signing so i guess you never really know now do we ???

Let's please put the will Fred Jackson be traded talk to rest please... We love him, Buddy loves him and he will get paid...

http://m.buffalobills.com/s/5960/153?itemPos=3

Agreed! Buddy has been as honest as he can be without giving anything away. The 1 thing about him that Pissed me off was his inability to go after Big Name FA the past 2 seasons. He finally decided to be a GM at the Start of FA Period this season and has made me and a host of other Bills fans very happy...

I really hope the extension doesn't turn out to be a problem. It would really sour what so far is a good offseason. I do fear that when the bills make a proposal, that Fred will feel offended and then just bad things happen. I am hoping this whole thing works out for the better, both sides are happy, and Fred has his whole career as a bill

Just two quick things about Buddy's first 2 years as GM. The first year he was hired only months before the draft, and even though he had been part of planning that draft, he was stuck with the information gathered before that. I think that would have impaired some of the drafting. Secondly, it is tough to give him a bad grade for last years free agency period as it was so truncated due to the lock out. He did get Barnett after he was released and did go after Tyson Clabo, even though I don't think Clabo ever was really going to sign with the Bills. So, in my mind, this is his first real offseason with a full time to prepare for the draft and go after free agents he wants in Buffalo.

Some fans have had a hard time adjusting to competent, straightforward management at One Bills Drive. I don't blame anybody for that especially after the psyche damaging Donahoe years and the front office anarchy following it. It's been a circus for a long long time, and for fans that started following the team in the last decade, it's all they've ever known about how the Bills do business.

Years in the future, we'll be talking about how Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey righted the Bills ship despite being discounted by nearly everybody "out there" every step of the way.

If F. Jackson wanted to retire a Bill, how long would that be? Realistically, 3 years, tops. Thats in a system where he isn't used all the time, and where there is a runner like Spiller who will get more and more of the reps. Could Fred carry the load, if he had to, for 3 more years? If he did, while maintaining his talent level and without constant injury, then he'd be a real physical phenom. So, I think it is a 3 year deal, worth about 9 million.

Thinking this way, he's getting 10 million dollars (including this year's pay) to finish out his career here. That's not chump change. The only problem would be if he were to consider himself "BEST BACK IN THE NFL" type talented now and for the next few years, and wanting to be paid accordingly.

It's a bit of tough luck for Fred, because the Bills just couldn't see, or accept - and, I think it is they just couldn't accept an undrafted, former European league or Arena league player could be this good, that overlooked. They couldn't SEE WHAT WAS IN FRONT OF THEM!!! And, he was doing it ALL ALONG! - that Freddy was that good, and they went ahead and drafted Spiller, and then were forced to work him in, and all the while Fred is playing like the best back in Football.

Now he's going to get his last contract, and I think he could have a Curtis Martin type, high level of play till the end type career. He hasn't had that many injuries, nor much beating, all things considered. Get it Done!

Some fans have had a hard time adjusting to competent, straightforward management at One Bills Drive. I don't blame anybody for that especially after the psyche damaging Donahoe years and the front office anarchy following it. It's been a circus for a long long time, and for fans that started following the team in the last decade, it's all they've ever known about how the Bills do business.

Years in the future, we'll be talking about how Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey righted the Bills ship despite being discounted by nearly everybody "out there" every step of the way.

Agreed 100%

It's a bit of tough luck for Fred, because the Bills just couldn't see, or accept - and, I think it is they just couldn't accept an undrafted, former European league or Arena league player could be this good, that overlooked. They couldn't SEE WHAT WAS IN FRONT OF THEM!!! And, he was doing it ALL ALONG! - that Freddy was that good, and they went ahead and drafted Spiller, and then were forced to work him in, and all the while Fred is playing like the best back in Football.

And it wasn't just the Bills.

There were LOTS of Bills fans on this very forum, even as recently as the end of the 2010 season who simply were not giving Freddy the respect that he deserved.

Every single time he had the ball in his hands from the day the Bills signed him in 2006 he was an excellent football player. Fans who were not influenced by his undrafted status knew they were looking at one of the NFLs best running backs but most fans and even his own employer seemingly didn't recognize his talent.

Mind boggling.

It's not like he suddenly became a better player than he was before. He always maximized his touches. It's just that he finally got some decent blocking in 2011.

I really hope the extension doesn't turn out to be a problem. It would really sour what so far is a good offseason. I do fear that when the bills make a proposal, that Fred will feel offended and then just bad things happen. I am hoping this whole thing works out for the better, both sides are happy, and Fred has his whole career as a bill

After the drama during camp last year I too worry that this offer might not get us where we want. I suspect we are looking at a 3 year offer (so 2 new years) between 12-15ish total. Team will see it as generous as if they make him play, odds are he never comes close to seeing 6-7.5m per the next two years, Freddy may be insulted that he never gets the big contract seeing it as 4m per for 3 years and his last pay day

The biggest difference between Fred Jackson and selfish bags of crap like Jason Peters is that Freddy puts team first. Even if Fred gets offered less money or fewer years than an elite NFL RB I can't imagine him holding out. In fact seeing the investment Ralph Wilson is making now, I don't think he will want to hurt the Bills by missing OTAs or camp. Fred is the kind of player who would rather take a slight and use it to push himself to achieve even more.

I think both Chan and Buddy have a lot if respect for Fred but they have to do what they think will make the Bills stronger. I expect Buddy to make a generous, front-loaded deal that leaves the Bills an out if Fred declines quickly. Probably several incentives too.

PTR

The biggest difference between Fred Jackson and selfish bags of crap like Jason Peters is that Freddy puts team first. Even if Fred gets offered less money or fewer years than an elite NFL RB I can't imagine him holding out. In fact seeing the investment Ralph Wilson is making now, I don't think he will want to hurt the Bills by missing OTAs or camp. Fred is the kind of player who would rather take a slight and use it to push himself to achieve even more.

I think both Chan and Buddy have a lot if respect for Fred but they have to do what they think will make the Bills stronger. I expect Buddy to make a generous, front-loaded deal that leaves the Bills an out if Fred declines quickly. Probably several incentives too.

PTR

If they think he may decline quickly, why would the Bills give him all of the money up front?