Dennis Dixon

Per PFT, Dennis Dixon is visiting Denver. I have been of the mindset that Buffalo should have been inquiring about trading for him as a backup for some time now. Now that he is a UFA, I see no reason that we would not bring him in for a visit. I think he is an underrated athletic QB that Gailey could really coach up to fill the void if Fitz were hurt again or has regressed from his early season form from last year. Don't think he's cost much either. Am I missing something?

POW!!!

Dixon is well-liked and well-respected in these parts.

His lack of a career is a bit of a mystery.

On the other hand, Doug Whaley is presumably very dialed-in to Dennis Dixon and his talents… and it sure seems the Bills are committed to one more year of the same 3 QBs we currently have.

Per PFT, Dennis Dixon is visiting Denver. I have been of the mindset that Buffalo should have been inquiring about trading for him as a backup for some time now. Now that he is a UFA, I see no reason that we would not bring him in for a visit. I think he is an underrated athletic QB that Gailey could really coach up to fill the void if Fitz were hurt again or has regressed from his early season form from last year. Don't think he's cost much either. Am I missing something?

POW!!!

I think he wants a chance to start somewhere. I could be wrong,but he would be an excellent replacement candidate for Thigpen.

POW!!!

Because he backs up CHARLIE BATCH

Because he could stand behind a stop sign and not be seen. I watched him a lot here in oregon, not what I would want in a leader.

I wouldn't know as well as you but I always got the exact opposite feeling about Dixon.

I thought he had a great career at Oregon and graduated with honors and played with a torn ACL.

I'm curious about what specifically you do not like about Dixon.

I wouldn't know as well as you but I always got the exact opposite feeling about Dixon.

I thought he had a great career at Oregon and graduated with honors and played with a torn ACL.

I'm curious about what specifically you do not like about Dixon.

I don't think his opinion of Dixon matters. What matters is the opinions of the 32 GM's in the league. I would say that there must be a reason why he hasn't had the opportunity to start yet, and there is a reason no team is jumping at the chance to sign him yet.

I don't think his opinion of Dixon matters. What matters is the opinions of the 32 GM's in the league. I would say that there must be a reason why he hasn't had the opportunity to start yet, and there is a reason no team is jumping at the chance to sign him yet.

Of course.

I already made the point that Bills Assistant GM Doug Whaley was in Pittsburgh for 2+ years with Dixon but I'm curious as to the opinion of an Oregon fan about a former Oregon player… especially as it runs counter to the prevailing opinion around here.

Looking for some insight.

Because he backs up CHARLIE BATCH

He'd be an upgrade to Thigpen but thats not saying much. Batch is almost 102 years old and dixon hasn't beat him out? I'd rather them draft a QB.

Of course.

I already made the point that Bills Assistant GM Doug Whaley was in Pittsburgh for 2+ years with Dixon but I'm curious as to the opinion of an Oregon fan about a former Oregon player… especially as it runs counter to the prevailing opinion around here.

Looking for some insight.

Decent athlete but if you're asking about insight into Oregon. Just put a jersey on in the state of Oregon and you're a God. He wasn't that good. Darron Thomas, this past seasons starter in Oregon will go undrafted but all locals think he's just amazing. Yes Thomas is under a different coach and system than Dixon was but the outcome is the same as far as making them out to be better then they are. I think dixon is a product of their system. Yes he's rail thin and I'm

Not sure the work ethic is really there for him to be a starter. Especially when he requested a trade and then threatened to hold out. I don't recall Gale Gilbert ever holding out.

Decent athlete but if you're asking about insight into Oregon. Just put a jersey on in the state of Oregon and you're a God. He wasn't that good. Darron Thomas, this past seasons starter in Oregon will go undrafted but all locals think he's just amazing. Yes Thomas is under a different coach and system than Dixon was but the outcome is the same as far as making them out to be better then they are. I think dixon is a product of their system. Yes he's rail thin and I'm

Not sure the work ethic is really there for him to be a starter. Especially when he requested a trade and then threatened to hold out. I don't recall Gale Gilbert ever holding out.

BTW, Chip Kelly ran the Ducks offense before he got the HC job.

He'd be an upgrade to Thigpen but thats not saying much. Batch is almost 102 years old and dixon hasn't beat him out? I'd rather them draft a QB.

Everyone says this ^ But why is eh such an upgrade? He has 3 starts, 2 tds and an INT. He was great at Oregon, but a lot of players are great in college. When Ben was suspended, they brought back Leftwich to put in front of him, and Batch. That tells me, he probably isnt very good.

I have this re-curring dream that Fitz goes down in pre-season, and the Bills have to start Tyler Thigpen...he lights it up, and leads the Bills to their first playoff appearence since 1999...and a whole bunch of internet, NFL arm-chair talent evaluators have to sit at a table and eat a big bowl of crow... :rolleyes:

Dixon is well-liked and well-respected in these parts.

His lack of a career is a bit of a mystery.

On the other hand, Doug Whaley is presumably very dialed-in to Dennis Dixon and his talents… and it sure seems the Bills are committed to one more year of the same 3 QBs we currently have.

Dixon's career is not that much of a mystery. He's behind Batch, Leftwich, and Big Ben. No room to play in that situation. The Bills had better sign a QB this offseason. I am 100% for getting Dixon. I think the OP is right on about his abilities. If Fitz gets injured and Thigpen is our only option we might as well kiss all the great work we've done so far this offesason goodbye.

I really like Dennis Dixon and have lobbied for the Bills to sign him as a project for a couple years. We really don't have a spot for him right now though.

Brad Smith to WR. Dixon challenge Thigpen in camp for #2 spot.

I have this re-curring dream that Fitz goes down in pre-season, and the Bills have to start Tyler Thigpen...he lights it up, and leads the Bills to their first playoff appearence since 1999...and a whole bunch of internet, NFL arm-chair talent evaluators have to sit at a table and eat a big bowl of crow... :rolleyes:

I've had dreams of winning the power-ball. Hasn't happened yet ;)

Everyone says this ^ But why is eh such an upgrade? He has 3 starts, 2 tds and an INT. He was great at Oregon, but a lot of players are great in college. When Ben was suspended, they brought back Leftwich to put in front of him, and Batch. That tells me, he probably isnt very good.

He's good. Let's see, if your the Steelers, do you bring back a former NFL starter, or a backup to take Ben's place. Answer: a former NFL starter who's had decent success. It's not an indication of Dixon's ability, it's an indication that PIT is QB rich.

Could be wrong but if I recall correctly Thigpen is in the 2nd year of a 3 year deal where he's making fairly substantial money as a back up. I think he's our guy for this year at least. If Fitzy struggles or is hurt the entire project we're building for is screwed.

He's good. Let's see, if your the Steelers, do you bring back a former NFL starter, or a backup to take Ben's place. Answer: a former NFL starter who's had decent success. It's not an indication of Dixon's ability, it's an indication that PIT is QB rich.

If hes so good why is he generating no interest except to compete with Caleb Hannie?

Maybe the steelers didnt trust him