Left tackles

Just our of curiosity not saying this is a plan or going to happen, but I was just on the Bills website and saw a picture of Jasper http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Jasper-and-Tops-share-healthy-lessons-with-students/de88069e-6a49-488d-81cb-75d048bef49f

I know he is listed as G right now...is there any way for the 3rd time we try to make this guy our LT? He is a beast and isn't all that fat looking...

FYI - I really wanted to use Peter Pan here cause I think I would get a lot of you with it, but I didn't want to ruin this post.

Edit: I left the pan link in there on accident! here is the real link!! Sorry all

Jasper

Edited by reed83 4th Rounder

No. Five things could happen, though.

(1) Bell could re-sign and remain healthy for the second time in 5 seasons. (35% chance)

(2) Reiff (a RT most of his career) could slide to the Bills, and he or Hairston becomes a good LT (50%)

(3) Bills could move up and take Kalil. (5%)

(4) Bills could draft David DeCastro and move existing Guard Pears or Levitre to tackle. (5%)

(5) Bills could draft a 3rd or 4th round LT who makes good because of the line chemistry. (65%)

Did you hear Mayock talk about DeCastro today. At Stanford's Pro day, DeCastro was playing Center and Mayock asked him if he sees himself as a Center. The answer was a casual YES, but Mayock seemed to have a man crush on DeCastro. Seems like a dedicated football player, the same can be said of Kuechly. Can you ever go wrong with these type of guys?

Some of these are more likely RT's in the NFL, though. Datko's falling fast. Look here in Column 1. The number in parentheses is the slot at which we think he'll be taken. BTW, the one climbing up is Brandon Mosley.

Cool website. We'll never know what we have in a player til we get pads on em but, Brandon Mosley doesn't interest me at all.

Did you hear Mayock talk about DeCastro today. At Stanford's Pro day, DeCastro was playing Center and Mayock asked him if he sees himself as a Center. The answer was a casual YES, but Mayock seemed to have a man crush on DeCastro. Seems like a dedicated football player, the same can be said of Kuechly. Can you ever go wrong with these type of guys?

Buddy asks us to believe him when he speaks an awful lot... How many times have you heard him say "We've said all along..." That being said, Nix is on record saying The Bills are good from G to G, but they will definitely Draft an OT...He also said Shep is going to start in the middle of the new 4-3...So...If we are to believe Buddy, DeCastro and Kuechly are probably not in the plans at #10 overall... B-)

Would you think the best safety in this draft, Mark Barro, could cover AFC East TE's, and would you like to see him in play at #10? Or is it better to hurry the passer with our new pass rushers, draft Floyd, and play ball control on offense to try and outscore them?

You've asked worthwhile questions.

I don't know enough about college football in general, or Barro in particular, to have a feel for whether he could cover the AFC East's TEs. That being said, my instinct is to go with Floyd over Barro for several reasons.

1) I don't like taking a safety early unless he's a very special player.

2) The Bills have reasonably good safeties already in the form of Byrd and Wilson. It's going to be tough for someone to be enough better than that to justify tenth overall.

3) I like the idea of the offense having a WR who can still make plays despite being double-covered. The Cowboys of the '90s had Irvin, the 49ers had Rice, the Bills had Reed . . . we could use a guy like that.

But . . . if Barro could cover Gronkowski one-on-one, and keep him under control, then I could be tempted to change my opinion. Put another way, I'd take Barro if and only if he had a significantly higher draft grade than any other player available at the Bills' pick.

Edit: there are some positions the Bills should not consider drafting at 10th overall. These include RB (for glaringly obvious reasons), interior OL, LB, and probably RT. (I'm not a big fan of using top-10 picks on RTs, and I like Hairston there anyway.) If Barro is significantly better than any other player available at a non-crossed-off position, then and only then do you take him.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

It's a very small percentage but there IS a slight chance Adams makes it to the 2nd round. Will he make 9 picks in the 2nd round where we pick? I doubt it.

He's 6-7, 320, played in the Big 10 and can man either side. He'll go in the 1st round, perhaps as somebody's BPA.

Buddy asks us to believe him when he speaks an awful lot... How many times have you heard him say "We've said all along..." That being said, Nix is on record saying The Bills are good from G to G, but they will definitely Draft an OT...He also said Shep is going to start in the middle of the new 4-3...So...If we are to believe Buddy, DeCastro and Kuechly are probably not in the plans at #10 overall... B-)

And I believe much...make that most...of what Buddy says.

What I don't believe is that he's going to give us or any other NFL GMs any indication at all what his true intentions are regarding the draft...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to be undefeated...I expect to win every game." - Chan Gailey

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

(1) Bell could re-sign and remain healthy for the second time in 5 seasons. (35% chance)

(2) Reiff (a RT most of his career) could slide to the Bills, and he or Hairston becomes a good LT (50%)

(4) Bills could draft David DeCastro and move existing Guard Pears or Levitre to tackle. (5%)

(5) Bills could draft a 3rd or 4th round LT who makes good because of the line chemistry. (65%)

Not sure what percentages mean, but they add up to 155%.

The key will be how well these players grade out against Martin, who I think would be our only logical choice if we were to take one at 10.

I prefer a skill player, I want Floyd hands down if he is there. I just don't want us to reach for an LT and I'm worried we might.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Floyd is a big reach at 10. I would love a reciever but there aren't any really good ones this year. Blackmon is about the only one that is not a reach in the top 15 picks. Just a bad year for wide outs. They say most of them are 2nd round talent. If they want Floyd, they should see if someone would give them a 2nd round pick and their number 1 to move up to 10. Floyd is reach at 10.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Floyd is a big reach at 10. I would love a reciever but there aren't any really good ones this year. Blackmon is about the only one that is not a reach in the top 15 picks. Just a bad year for wide outs. They say most of them are 2nd round talent. If they want Floyd, they should see if someone would give them a 2nd round pick and their number 1 to move up to 10. Floyd is reach at 10.

Floyd really isn't a reach at 10, he goes as high as to the 'Phins & Jags in some mocks and is the consensus 2nd best after Blackmon. Our resident Draft expert Astro put a nice post together about Floyd in another thread, that I am a bit too lazy to look up right now - I think it is the PFT Mock draft thread. There are also a few threads where his videos are. Kid is the real deal. He is a beast in run blocking, catches in traffic and between a couple defenders, has a big size frame, catches the ball well, runs fast - He is a complete package. Watch the film...It don't lie...

Someone said something similar to this in another thread, trading down is not like ordering a pizza. You just don't call a magic number and get it done. It is highly doubtful that a player will fall to us at 10 that another team below will covet and have to have. Buddy has said repeatedly that he doesn't like to trade up or down for that matter...

From Walter Football:

"Michael Floyd broke almost every receiving record in Notre Dame history. The big, quick wideout was a dominant force the past two seasons after serving as the complementary receiver to Golden Tate early on. He recorded 100 catches for 1,147 yards and nine touchdowns in 2011.

Floyd frequently was an overwhelming force on the field. He is a polished receiver who works well in all levels of the defense. He can make tough catches in the middle or along the sideline because of impressive body control. He runs good routes with the quickness to get separation. He is big receiver and presents a good target for his quarterback. Floyd runs well with the ball in his hands, and is a hard, physical presence on defensive backs. Floyd may not have the elite speed to flat out race by NFL secondaries, but he has enough to speed to make big plays down the field. Floyd is well-rounded as a run blocker. With his consistency in production to go along with his skill set, he looks like he has the capacity to be a No. 1 receiver in the NFL."

So I have to ask why do you feel he is a reach? Most draft experts and GMs think this is a deep year for WRs. I gave you afew reasons why he should be the pick and pointed you in the direction of the stats. Compared to other college WRs, he is great...He would be a huge asset on this team

Edited by reed83 4th Rounder

Please don't mention Datko and Zebrie Sanders as possible Left Tackle selections. I am a huge Florida State fan and while Datko and Sanders are really athletic kids(which is why they are thought highly of)these two are sooooooo overrated its not even funny. The offensive line was the weak link of FSU's team this year by far and I know Datko was injured all year but it was still bad the year before when he played. Sanders measures and looks like a prototypical Left Tackle in the NFL but he can't run block to save his life and neither can Datko. Sanders is also a holding machine and constantly gets beat by speed rushers and it shows on tape and he didn't nothing to remedy that when he participated at the Senior Bowl. Datko has been injured pretty much his whole career and if you want an underachieving injury prone left tackle then by all means take him. Like I said, huge Florida State fan and have seen these guys for quite awhile and even I with all my bias wouldn't touch Sanders until the 4th round and Datko until the 5th.

Sanders had 8 total penalties in 13 games. Try watching the gamse sometimes. The onyl reason you're pissed at him is because there was a big play called back by a Sanders hold. Also, if you'd watched the games and followed FSU football, you'd have easily seen that the problems with the OL were the rest of the line. Farenkrug never cut it at OG last season. They started 3 guys with minimal starting experience, including some true freshmen.

For the rest of you, in 2010 (Sanders jr year), he was lined up next to one of the most senior-laden, experienced lines, with the likes of Rodney Hudson (2nd round OG and 4 year starter), Ryan McMahon (3 year starter at C), and Datko (then a jr). In 2011, Sanders was starting next to the likes of a Juco transfer, a couple of sophmores and RS freshmen with minimal playing time and some true freshmen. But yeah, lets blame FSUs OL problems on Zebrie Sanders. :wallbash:

From Walter Football:

"Michael Floyd broke almost every receiving record in Notre Dame history. The big, quick wideout was a dominant force the past two seasons after serving as the complementary receiver to Golden Tate early on. He recorded 100 catches for 1,147 yards and nine touchdowns in 2011.

Playing 2nd fiddle to Golden Tate isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for the 10th overall pick in the draft. In his first 2 years in the league

he has caught an 56 passes for a 10.9 ypc average and zero (0) TDs. Not horrible, but certainly not elite WR territory, either.

Playing 2nd fiddle to Golden Tate isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for the 10th overall pick in the draft. In his first 2 years in the league

he has caught an 56 passes for a 10.9 ypc average and zero (0) TDs. Not horrible, but certainly not elite WR territory, either.

So when he was 18 years old he was having better seasons than Most college WRs, that's your knock on him?

Keep digging.

Would it be crazy to consider DeCastro @ #10? He may be the best player on the board at that point. Can possibly back up at center and start with Levitre at G. Gives us great depth and a plug an play guy for 10 years. I watched him at the combine and he is far and away the most impressive O lineman. You can tell he has a nasty streak as well.

As much as people dismiss this pick because of our depth at Guard, I have to assume the Bills have spent so much money on the D-line this offseason because they didn't feel they could address it in the draft. Now, the Bills have also spent the last two drafts going heavy on defense. Sure, we still could use a CB and a really awesome LB, but for the most part, our defense is close to final.

On the other hand, our Offense has some polishing to do still: After watching the Nix approach to this team, I'm thinking his philosophy is to strengthen both sides of the ball from the interior of the lines outward. Now, we do have 3 capable guards already. One seems to be able to backup center pretty well, too. However - there is a difference between having one probowl caliber Guard and another good one, and having two probowl caliber guards - AND A CENTER! (not to mention, Levitre's contract is coming up soon, I believe). So, If Nix were to draft DeCastro in the first, and a promising LT in the second or third - we could see a line that is complete, absolutely loaded with talent, FOR THE MOST PART ALMOST COMPLETELY INTERCHANGEABLE!!! (Levitre can play LT, Hairston can play both LT and RT, Wood can play C and Guard, Decastro would be set at Guard) My point is - we'd have depth, if there were an injury anywhere we could move a piece here or there and still have a strong line. It would resolve the lines for good for maybe 5 years.

And, I have to believe, with our running backs as good as they are, with our defense now set to be a turnover machine, having a great O-line - Fitz would be given this year to prove he is consistent. IF HE PROVES HE ISN'T - AND WE'VE GIVEN HIM ALL HE COULD ASK FOR IN A LINE - THEN A ROOKIE QB COMING INTO THIS TEAM NEXT YEAR, WITH A YEAR OF EXPERIENCE UNDER THIS KIND OF LINE, NOT TO MENTION ANOTHER OFFSEASON TO PICK UP TE'S OR WR'S - I could easily see this as the plan. And it would be fine with me.

Edited by sllib olaffub

As much as people dismiss this pick because of our depth at Guard, I have to assume the Bills have spent so much money on the D-line this offseason because they didn't feel they could address it in the draft. Now, the Bills have also spent the last two drafts going heavy on defense. Sure, we still could use a CB and a really awesome LB, but for the most part, our defense is close to final.

On the other hand, our Offense has some polishing to do still: After watching the Nix approach to this team, I'm thinking his philosophy is to strengthen both sides of the ball from the interior of the lines outward. Now, we do have 3 capable guards already. One seems to be able to backup center pretty well, too. However - there is a difference between having one probowl caliber Guard and another good one, and having two probowl caliber guards - AND A CENTER! (not to mention, Levitre's contract is coming up soon, I believe). So, If Nix were to draft DeCastro in the first, and a promising LT in the second or third - we could see a line that is complete, absolutely loaded with talent, FOR THE MOST PART ALMOST COMPLETELY INTERCHANGEABLE!!! (Levitre can play LT, Hairston can play both LT and RT, Wood can play C and Guard, Decastro would be set at Guard) My point is - we'd have depth, if there were an injury anywhere we could move a piece here or there and still have a strong line. It would resolve the lines for good for maybe 5 years.

And, I have to believe, with our running backs as good as they are, with our defense now set to be a turnover machine, having a great O-line - Fitz would be given this year to prove he is consistent. IF HE PROVES HE ISN'T - AND WE'VE GIVEN HIM ALL HE COULD ASK FOR IN A LINE - THEN A ROOKIE QB COMING INTO THIS TEAM NEXT YEAR, WITH A YEAR OF EXPERIENCE UNDER THIS KIND OF LINE, NOT TO MENTION ANOTHER OFFSEASON TO PICK UP TE'S OR WR'S - I could easily see this as the plan. And it would be fine with me.

I'm not a big fan of picking a guard 10th overall. Even a very highly rated interior OL will normally be there for you in the lower part of the first round. (As Mangold was a few years back. Of course, the Bills chose McCargo instead . . . :( .)

Aside from which, the Bills are already pretty strong in the interior of the OL. They have Levitre, Wood, and Urbik. You pointed out that Levitre is coming up to the end of his contract. But if the plan is to let him go first-contract-and-out, and to use the 10th overall pick to draft his replacement, then they may as well fire everyone who agreed with that decision! :angry: Letting your best draft choices go first-contract-and-out is exactly the kind of boneheaded mistake which has been plaguing this organization since the late '90s! :angry:

The Bills should use the 10th overall player on a guy who will change the complexion of the team. Maybe that's a WR who can be productive despite being double-covered. Maybe that's a CB who can cover the other team's best WR one-on-one. Maybe that's a LT, assuming there's one available worthy of 10th overall. In a perfect world, the Bills would be able to trade the pick for choices in the 2013 draft; and would be able to use those choices on a franchise QB. Barring that, the Bills may be able to trade down out of the 10th overall pick, or perhaps they can trade up for the best LT in the draft. (I forget his name.) And yes, I realize Buddy doesn't like trading. But this might be as good a year as any for him to make an exception, especially if the right deal is available.

So when he was 18 years old he was having better seasons than Most college WRs, that's your knock on him?

Keep digging.

I agree. He's one of the few guys that had 4 very productive years going deep, being a possession-type guy, pretty much everything asked of him with some pretty average QB play to boot.

I hate to make predictions, but I see Eric Moulds in this guy.

I'd rather have a big WR at the first pick, and work on the tackle through the rest of the draft, and picking up free agent scraps at this point. I feel like our system doesn't really need a super stout offensive line, as evidenced last year.

Hopefully over the next off season, we can pick up some OL talent, though.

We went 6-10, there is no evidence that we don't need anything anywhere

So the chances of drafting a 3rd or 4th round tackle being effective are greater than the chances of a 1st round pick being effective? Or are you just that down on Reiff in particular?

If the Bills go into the 2nd round looking for a left tackle it would be a disaster...

2nd guessers will have a field day with Buddy for not fixing the problem sooner...

Nix needs to find the solution to LT either before the draft or he needs to fix the problem fast during the draft.

He may need to trade draft picks to get one... No way do the Bills need a big hole at LT...

Bell has not re-signed.... why? Maybe he is not passing teams physicals ? I don't know... is he still injured?

I do not see a great LT beyond Kalil in the draft...But the problem still needs to be addressed early with a quality selection... I hope the interviews and player work outs at One Bills drive with the visiting players helps to solve the problem...

If Bell excepts the Bills current offer... it means he has to take a physical before he signs the contract...

I wonder if he still has health problems and that is why he is not signing up with any team? Just a question.