Obama Campaign Video

Don't let that ruin it for you. I'm a big Alec Baldwin fan. I hear he's a real dick but so are half the athletes we root for. And the guy's one of the great actors of our generation. He's so good his 2 brothers got to be actors just by riding his coattails.

Ain't it a B word? I like these guys as actors, and I try to avoid their off screen bs only because I'd like to watch their movies without wanting to poke their eyes out. We need the John Wayne, Clint Eastwood and Humphrey Bogarts of this world---or maybe their grandsons.

Edited by 3rdnlng

Does anyone else think Tom Hanks is the biggest douche in Hollywood?

I can't put my finger on why I feel this way, but for some reason he comes off worse to me than George Clooney, Alec Baldwin, or any other Hollywood type, and it's not even close. I used to be a fan; Forest Gump, the Green Mile; he was great in those movies. Lately his acting is weak (Larry Crown) and he just comes off as a creepy wierd dude in general.

And I thought this before I knew about this ball washing he just graced the chosen one with. BTW, This piece was really embarassing regardless of politics. Someone should ask him if when it was over did he spit or swallow.

I have never understood the appeal of Tom Hanks, as an actor...and, I think "Forest Gump" is one of the biggest POS movies ever made. "Larry Crowne" was one of the absolute worst movies I have ever seen. My girlfriend has impeccably bad taste in movies, so I have seen quite a few bad films..."Larry Crowne" ranks rigth up there.

I know, being one of the minority "lefties" on the PPP, it won't come as any surprise....but I think people like Sean Penn, George Clooney, and Alec Baldwin (to a lesser extent) are all really good actors, even if they are douche's in real life. And, I know that when they are in a movie (again, Baldwin to a lesser extent), it is going to be of a quality that doesn't insult my intelligence (like "Forest Gump" or "Larry Crowne"). Tom Hanks is not a great actor, IMO, and doesn't have a track record of making really good movies...

btw- I know what you mean about Hanks being creepy...in "Larry Crowne" he had so much freaking make-up on, they were trying to make him look younger...it just looked bad.

I have never understood the appeal of Tom Hanks, as an actor...and, I think "Forest Gump" is one of the biggest POS movies ever made. "Larry Crowne" was one of the absolute worst movies I have ever seen. My girlfriend has impeccably bad taste in movies, so I have seen quite a few bad films..."Larry Crowne" ranks rigth up there.

I know, being one of the minority "lefties" on the PPP, it won't come as any surprise....but I think people like Sean Penn, George Clooney, and Alec Baldwin (to a lesser extent) are all really good actors, even if they are douche's in real life. And, I know that when they are in a movie (again, Baldwin to a lesser extent), it is going to be of a quality that doesn't insult my intelligence (like "Forest Gump" or "Larry Crowne"). Tom Hanks is not a great actor, IMO, and doesn't have a track record of making really good movies...

btw- I know what you mean about Hanks being creepy...in "Larry Crowne" he had so much freaking make-up on, they were trying to make him look younger...it just looked bad.

I just never understood the idea of liking/hating actors because of their politics. George Clooney and Sean Penn are very good actors. Penn, at least, is a knucklehead otherwise (Clooney, less so...at least he makes an effort to be knowledgeable about the issues he supports.)

I just never understood the idea of liking/hating actors because of their politics. George Clooney and Sean Penn are very good actors. Penn, at least, is a knucklehead otherwise (Clooney, less so...at least he makes an effort to be knowledgeable about the issues he supports.)

I guess that is kind of what I was trying to say...brevity is not one of my gifts. I like Clooney, on and off the screen...Sean Penn is always involved with great movies (IMO), is a really great actor, but kind of an a-hole off screen.

Don't let that ruin it for you. I'm a big Alec Baldwin fan. I hear he's a real dick but so are half the athletes we root for. And the guy's one of the great actors of our generation. He's so good his 2 brothers got to be actors just by riding his coattails.

Why I'm not watching too many movies or sporting events these days.

Reminds me of a story many years ago. I was working at a restaurant and we were doing the premier after party of some lame movie. I was working the buffet line. We were told we didn't have to serve them just make sure all the food was stocked. Jose Eber (sp?) came through the line and stuck out his plate. I said "hey, how ya doing?" He didn't reply and just pushed his plate more towards me. I smiled and he pushed it closer. I picked up the tongs and he smiled. That is until I handed them to him.

Edited by Chef Jim

B-man whats up buddy?! Haha.

I was just pointing that the video is well made and great political stuff. Doesn't matter whether I agree with it all or not. (Which I don't)

Is any political stuff great? Kinda like that pile of shite is great.

I liked Hanks a lot better when he was doing comedies. He should do more of those.

There is now video of a 2004 fundraiser event that shows Mr. Hanks onstage with a man in blackface, a stuffed gorilla being auctioned, and making some really crass jokes. Some groups are now demanding that this Obama campaign video be re-dubbed with another narrator.

Tom Hanks, Glenn Frey in 2004: Blackface, Race Jokes at Fundraising Auction

The 2004 auction’s routine included a white man in blackface, identified in the footage as investment banker James Montgomery, CEO of the Santa Monica, Calif., firm Montgomery & Co. In addition to blackface makeup and the wig, Montgomery wore a leopard-print toga and an arm band made to look like it consisted of animal teeth.

During a lull in the auction, Frey refers to Montgomery and comments, “See how boring money management and stock investment is, people? It’s not nearly as much fun as, like, professional basketball.”

Wow. I can see the (lame) attempts at political/pundit humor, but some of this stuff crosses the line.

All I can say is this isn't quite a Tom Cruise level of meltdown, but there's a reason why entertainers should be very careful about what they do and say WRT politics and weighty issues. Very easy to get caught up in something and then you've just pissed off ~30-35% of your possible viewers. I've always seen Hanks as a good actor, but after all this I've gotta say that I am seriously disinclined to pay to see any of his projects.

Edited by UConn James

There is now video of a 2004 fundraiser event that shows Mr. Hanks onstage with a man in blackface, a stuffed gorilla being auctioned, and making some really crass jokes. Some groups are now demanding that this Obama campaign video be re-dubbed with another narrator.

I remember when this type of stuff only surfaced against Republicans. The left must really hate that someone else is playing their game.

Tom Hanks, Glenn Frey in 2004: Blackface, Race Jokes at Fundraising Auction

Wow. I can see the (lame) attempts at political/pundit humor, but some of this stuff crosses the line.

All I can say is this isn't quite a Tom Cruise level of meltdown, but there's a reason why entertainers should be very careful about what they do and say WRT politics and weighty issues. Very easy to get caught up in something and then you've just pissed off ~30-35% of your possible viewers. I've always seen Hanks as a good actor, but after all this I've gotta say that I am seriously disinclined to pay to see any of his projects.

In my best Jackie Chiles voice that is "lewd, lascivious, salicious and outrageous".

So I'm reading about DeNiro's comments at a fund raiser with Michelle Obama about the country not being ready for a white First Lady, and I'm reading this article about Hanks and the guy in blackface, and I'm reading this article about Cee Lo Green dropping F bombs at the Obama fundraiser, and I'm thinking if I'm David Axelrod, this is a good time stop handing celebrity supporters the microphone. Take their money and walk away before someone gives the mic to Rosie O'Donnell.

"It ties to a theory I’ve had for a while,

that most apolitical voters desperately want to avoid concluding that the first African-American president of the United States is a failure, on par with a second term for Jimmy Carter.

As a result, they will give Obama until the very last minute to demonstrate an ability to get the job done, to demonstrate that he can generate tangible improvements in their lives.

But, if around October 2012, people don’t see tangible improvements in their lives, well, the bottom may fall out of his numbers. He’ll still have his loyal base, but the vast majority of independents will decide he just can’t get the job done."

--Jim Geraghty, National Review