Mario's Contract & Cap Hit

Tremendous deal for the Bills.

They take the majority of the cap hit this year, with the free agent market already dried up and their major players re-signed.

After that, the number goes down considerably and opens up room for more moves in 2013 and 2014.

And the Bills have between $12-13M for rookie contacts and Fred's extension. That's why Buddy said we are done.

PTR

Also I think D.Edwards and his 3.8 million dollar cap number will likely be cut to free up some space for extensions this season. D.Edwards is a serviceable player but we aren't running a 3-4 anymore and he makes a nice chunk of change. I could see the Bills going out and making a couple bargain additions like Barnett or Morrison last season. But the big moves are done.

Also I think D.Edwards and his 3.8 million dollar cap number will likely be cut to free up some space for extensions this season. D.Edwards is a serviceable player but we aren't running a 3-4 anymore and he makes a nice chunk of change. I could see the Bills going out and making a couple bargain additions like Barnett or Morrison last season. But the big moves are done.

That sounds about right. If we are ok with cap room, I wonder if we do keep Dwan and kick him inside and use him as a rotational DT. Another question actually - last year I recall Gailey/Nix saying we played the 4-3 about 50% of the snaps compared to the 3-4. Do we actually keep Dwan for that type of continued flexibility?

What I think that some people forget is that we're still using the "cash-to-cap" system in our contracts, and that even with this signing, we're still $12.9M under the cap in Cash-to-Cap! Great planning by Buddy & the finance folks to get this deal done - pretty amazing that such a deal was even possible under cash-to-cap.

Tremendous deal for the Bills.

They take the majority of the cap hit this year, with the free agent market already dried up and their major players re-signed.

After that, the number goes down considerably and opens up room for more moves in 2013 and 2014.

Again, have said this in multiple threads, just because his payout is 24.9 million this year does not mean that's the cap hit. The cap hit is about 9 million.

http://wgr550.com/pages/12570205.php?contentType=4&contentId=10206617

So no, the majority of the cap hit is not this year. They amortize some of the signing bonus over the length of the contract so it doesn't hit all in one year. There is now way with Stevies new contract and Marios and everyone else we resigned this year we would still be $12.9 under the cap. In fact Stevies cap hit is only $4.9 million

Edited by Wayne Cubed

That sounds about right. If we are ok with cap room, I wonder if we do keep Dwan and kick him inside and use him as a rotational DT. Another question actually - last year I recall Gailey/Nix saying we played the 4-3 about 50% of the snaps compared to the 3-4. Do we actually keep Dwan for that type of continued flexibility?

Sounds very risky to run a 3-4 considering that Mario would have to either be off the field or be a OLB. Likely if we do want to run a 3-4 look it would just be maybe for a few snaps a game. D.Edwards isn't a 4-3 DT and with S.Johnson, Troup, Heard, and Jasper there is a ton of depth behind Williams and Dareus.

If Dwan was a lower cap hit I would say bring him to camp but with all the extensions we might have to do this season that 4 million for a career 3-4 player is too much of a luxury. Also its unfair to Dwan who should get a chance to hit the open market, lots of 3-4 teams could want a guy like Dwan.

What I think that some people forget is that we're still using the "cash-to-cap" system in our contracts, and that even with this signing, we're still $12.9M under the cap in Cash-to-Cap! Great planning by Buddy & the finance folks to get this deal done - pretty amazing that such a deal was even possible under cash-to-cap.

The cap situation (being flat) this year has never really happened before. The only way this deal was able to happen was because of that. The bigger spenders didn't have room to spend, only the crap teams that had space to roll over would be able to get it done. We were all bitching last season about not really getting anyone and making a splash. If we did we may not have gotten this deal done. It was just the perfect storm and my hat is tipped to Overdorf - this is deal is structured in a very cap friendly way!

Again, have said this in multiple threads, just because his payout is 24.9 million this year does not mean that's the cap hit. The cap hit is about 9 million.

http://wgr550.com/pages/12570205.php?contentType=4&contentId=10206617

I thought the NFL changed the way it counts its cap. That more so the signing bonuses and roster bonuses counted against the cap. I could be wrong but maybe that cap number is more in line with the old CBA? The cap hit can't be 9 million and the Bills likely wouldn't have structured it to go up and up as the contract went on.

I thought the NFL changed the way it counts its cap. That more so the signing bonuses and roster bonuses counted against the cap. I could be wrong but maybe that cap number is more in line with the old CBA? The cap hit can't be 9 million and the Bills likely wouldn't have structured it to go up and up as the contract went on.

They would if they were smart, the salary cap is most likely going to go up next year. In 2014 the TV contract kicks in so the salary cap and player salaries will go up. Look at the break down WGR did, it makes absolute sense. Take the biggest hit when the TV contracts kick in

Sounds very risky to run a 3-4 considering that Mario would have to either be off the field or be a OLB. Likely if we do want to run a 3-4 look it would just be maybe for a few snaps a game. D.Edwards isn't a 4-3 DT and with S.Johnson, Troup, Heard, and Jasper there is a ton of depth behind Williams and Dareus.

If Dwan was a lower cap hit I would say bring him to camp but with all the extensions we might have to do this season that 4 million for a career 3-4 player is too much of a luxury. Also its unfair to Dwan who should get a chance to hit the open market, lots of 3-4 teams could want a guy like Dwan.

We committed to go back to the 4-3 at the end of last season regardless if we had Mario or not. I think he is due a $1.2 roster bonus this year and I think if we were going to cut Dwan we would have done it by now. That's why I asked if he could kick in to a rotational DT...

I would only expect to see a 3-4 a few times a game. What irritates me is tha we were a 4-3 and had LBs for that which we dumped to go to the 3-4 and now we are going back again...what a waste.

We committed to go back to the 4-3 at the end of last season regardless if we had Mario or not. I think he is due a $1.2 roster bonus this year and I think if we were going to cut Dwan we would have done it by now. That's why I asked if he could kick in to a rotational DT...

I would only expect to see a 3-4 a few times a game. What irritates me is tha we were a 4-3 and had LBs for that which we dumped to go to the 3-4 and now we are going back again...what a waste.

Reed....we are not WASTING anything....we were mostly in a 43 look last year because we couldnt run the 34 with the pieces we had....

We were closer to a 43 before the Mario Williams signing......now we are pretty much all the way there

Reed....we are not WASTING anything....we were mostly in a 43 look last year because we couldnt run the 34 with the pieces we had....

We were closer to a 43 before the Mario Williams signing......now we are pretty much all the way there

I didn't exactly mean it the way it came out and waste might have been a poor choice of a word. It is obvious we couldn't get all the talent we needed to run the 3-4 and they have said as much. The "waste" part (2seasons) was just that we spent a couple seasons with either signing 34 only players and losing 43 only players - to commit to going back and spending the time to teach Kelsay, Johnson et al new positions. It would also be nice to have a Poz (who would have stayed if we were a 4-3) right now and even Schobel (who didn't want to learn a new system), or to have gone after someone else other than Dwan or even taking Troup in the second round. We could have filled other holes back then. That is all I was saying. I am perfectly happy where we are right now as a D, we jsut took the long way to get there. Thankfully, as Gailey and Nix have said the players they drafted can play in either a 43 or 24, so that is a big plus.

It's pretty clear we got Mario under the perfect storm of conditions both in terms of us, the future of the cap, and other teams not being in great position this year. From Mario's standpoint this was not the best year to go free but here we are reaping all the benefits and he still got the giant contract so I doubt neither of us are complaining (yet).