How does Mario Williams change your prediction for next season?

Before Mario signed yesterday, I was thinking best case scenario would be 10-6 and a possible wild card spot if all of your key players stayed healthy for most of the year, but I was thinking 8-8 would be more likely. After yesterday's signing, I think this is a 12 win team, and possible division winner. Our D-line just went from mediocre at best to top 3 in the league IMO, which will be absolutely huge in opening things up for and taking pressure off the rest of the D, and help field position on offense as well. If we can just address left tackle, either by re-signing Bell or in the draft (or both) and add a receiver, this team could look much better than the team that started last year 5-2. The only other area I'm concerned about is backup QB, because if we had someone halfway competent who could step in for a few weeks to let Fitz's ribs heal properly, I don't think we lose 7 in a row last year either, but I digress. How do you think this signing impacts the team's record next year?

I think he's good for 2 wins, himself.

I think it's more important that we stay healthy AND improve our depth.

My optimistic prediction is 10-6. That's if we keep healthy. If not, then below .500.

Remember, we lost players at just about every position last year, and seemingly every year before that.

Edited by Dorkington

I'll let the Senator say it!

Thank you, GB...

It doesn't change a thing...not a damned thing....

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

"I expect to be undefeated...I expect to win every game!" - Chan Gailey

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Edited by The Senator

A LOT!! I think he's a Bruce Smith caliber kind of guy and I'm impressed with our tackles. We have to get a little help at linebacker and we'll be playoff worthy on defense. Getting the offensive line in shape with a good solid LT and some depth, and one more wide receiver and I think we might get into the playoffs.

I would imagine the expectation for this season should be wildcard or bust. The pieces if healthy appear to be in place. Whatever amount of wins that is doesn't matter (9/10/11), but that should be the goal.

I think anything less than a playoff berth will be a disappointing season and failure, although injuries at key positions could derail that.

This is the third year of the Nix/Chan experiment. Some strides were made last year. Nix has been adding to the talent and previously woeful depth. The offense and defense has some serious potential that must be realized. Coaching on defense should be greatly improved. The third year of being in Chan's offense should help a lot, too, although few of them have actually played two full years.

The Super Mario signing should be a game changer to be sure.

The defense now should be at least average in the NFL, if not above average.

If they get a little more quality LB help and some depth, above average for sure.

So a lot of this season rests on the shoulders of Gailey and his offense.

Can he get both Spiller and FredEX engaged successfully?

Can he figure out a way to keep the short passing game effective all season and not able to be shut down like it was the last half of last season?

As always a lot depends upon how healthy the starters manage to be all season, on both sides of the ball.

But I do not believe the offense, or the fans, will be able to blame the defense this season if things don't go well.

Yeah it is technically the third year, but yet it is really only the second year of them making improvements and building. The first year was just an evaluation of the players and organization. Modrak was still in charge of the draft, Edwards was declared our starter, etc. Yes this is a big year for us; but to say it is make or break for Gailey is a bit much. I think everyone can see how much this team is changing and growing. Nix and Ralph both said that consistency is important - I honestly don't see them blowing it up again with a new HC.

That being said, Nix said he thought we were a 10 win team last year and we should have been. We let the Giants and Bengals off the ropes and they beat us, plus without our injuries we could have gotten a few more. I think Mario strengthens the rest of the D with just his presence on the field. I can see us getting to 12 wins staying healthy and having some good luck. He is just a piece, a big one at that. To get over the top, we still need a LT, a CB and we really need a WR to stretch the field. I love Wood think he is a great Center and a beast as a player, but I'm not going to lie - I hope his leg/body holds up. If he gets injured again, that is a huge hole to fill.

I think anything less than a playoff berth will be a disappointing season and failure, although injuries at key positions could derail that.

This is the third year of the Nix/Chan experiment. Some strides were made last year. Nix has been adding to the talent and previously woeful depth. The offense and defense has some serious potential that must be realized. Coaching on defense should be greatly improved. The third year of being in Chan's offense should help a lot, too, although few of them have actually played two full years.

I'm with you on this. The Bills, for the first time in a long time, don't have any MAJOR holes to fill. 2nd WR is a question mark, but both Jones and Easley will compete for that spot and I think one will step forward. I'd like to see a LT with the first pick. Otherwise, they'll be drafting for depth and potential.

It's time to take the next step.

I think Bills fans need to be prepared for 8-8. Though I personally expect 10-6/9-7. Mario makes a big impact no doubt, but no single player (except maybe a great QB) can take a 6-10 and turn it into 11-5, 10-6. If they get there, it will be because everyone stays healthy and Fitz makes some major strides about the offense. My biggest worry is that Gailey is forced into running the same offensive scheme as last year and it will really handicap them. I also worry that Fitz regresses and next season everyone is pulling their hair out about the Bills making a move for a QB. Spiller and Jackson need to be used to the best of their ability. I don't think the Bills can make big strides if Gailey decides to feature only one of the backs as primary back, he needs both to contribute. And Spiller proved beyond a doubt that he is very capable and deserves 10-15 touches. Remember, we only have him for like, what? 2-3 more seasons? At most? Its time to utilize him.

Edited by Union2008