What is plan B at Wide Receiver?

jahnyc

Seems like all of the top FA wide receivers have already signed with other teams. V. Jackson, Colston, Morgan, and Garcon are all gone. Lloyd is over 30 and Manningham is not much of an upgrade. A strong #2 WR is a big need.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Bills really thought they were going to sign Meachem and Williams. With Bell not re-signed, I am guessing they were going to draft a LT if all of this played out as planned.

You have to wonder what numbskull said the Bills were sure they'd sign both players within 24 hours. It's anyone's guess, but losing out on Meachem despite getting him in the door is harsh. At least they've got Donald Jones, David Nelson, Marcus Easley, Derek Hagan, David Clowney, and Naaman Roosevelt. Those guys are probably loving the non-signing. ;)

I don't think there was a Plan B with what's transpired.

When, exactly, did a no. 2 WR become a huge priority? About 5 minutes after we learned some dude from NO was visiting? Relax. There are other, much more important, needs. Robert Meacham was not going to turn the team into anything other than what it will become on its own. (What THAT is, I can't tell you.)

Just want to add one silly little thought...if one of our biggest needs on O (outside of LT) is a WR to stretch the field (read run fly patterns), why not consider bringing Lee Evans back? He culd get deep and on a cap friendly contract...why not? We get speed (if he still has it) and Lee (who was a good soldier for years) get to stay in the NFL.

Meachem goes to SD to be their #1. He wasn't going to be that here, and he wouldn't have gotten paid like it either. Now if Meachem took less money from SD than we offered, that would hurt. I highly doubt that's the case. Let's remember this is a 650-yard/yr WR.

Meachem goes to SD to be their #1. He wasn't going to be that here, and he wouldn't have gotten paid like it either. Now if Meachem took less money from SD than we offered, that would hurt. I highly doubt that's the case. Let's remember this is a 650-yard/yr WR.

Actually there was an unconfirmed report stating the terms of the offer to Meachem.

Based on that report, it's more than what he signed in San Diego for.

You know this 8 hours into free agency?

The options are dwindling. They bet the farm on signing him and he went elsewhere.

The WR depth chart is littered with former UDFAs, practice squad types, late round picks, and guys who've played on multiple teams. It's not looking good.

The two guys I liked before free agency were Garcon and Laurent Robinson.

Robinson is still available, I believe.

Manningham is also out there. I'm not a big fan of the guy but as a number 2 receiver, he's better than anyone on our roster, IMO.

Brandon Lloyd is still out there too though he's 30-years old, has had a spotty career, and anyways, there's the belief that he'll rejoin Josh McDaniels in New England.

I hope they can shift gears quickly and call an agent tonight.

Also, Early Doucet is still out there.

I'd be thrilled with Laurent Robinson.

Laurent Robinson's wiki entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurent_robinson

Check out his combine numbers… sub 4.4 on a slow track in Indy, 6'2", 200 pounds, and in just 14 games last year (he signed late) with only 4 starts he had 858 yards and 11 TDs.

He averaged 15.9 yards per reception and the handful of games I watched, outshone Dez Bryant and Miles Austin by a wide margin.