Teleprompters Should Be Illegal?

A smarmy sentiment, but perhaps Mr. Santorum should get off of his grandstand.

Does it really matter whether one uses a TelePrompTer to deliver a speech versus repeating what has been said in message meetings, etc.? The latter takes a good memory. Speaking for myself, I've taken some public speaking classes and it can be terrifying up there, even for someone who is trained to do it. Speaking off-the-cuff is admirable for those who can do it and stay on point, but I would not expect it from a guy who's giving a 30-minute talk, and where his/her words will be recorded and used for posterity --- the chance of a misstatement is too big and the consequences too real (especially when talking about foreign policy/military issues). When talking about Iran, Republican or Democrat, I don't want an errant comment be misunderstood because of a lapse in wording/brain fart/foot in mouth; there's a reason why those kinds of speeches are so strictly controlled.

Besides that, depending on a candidate's level of involvement in the process, those speeches have been looked over by him/her and tweaked or approved, have been written by someone who knows the candidate, their ideas, and their language.

If Rick can speak extemporaneously, fine --- good for him. But I don't want someone who can't do that well, but is otherwise a good candidate excluded because s/he isn't a parrot or an actor.

I am NOT a big fan of them especially when Bush II was butchering them... But, as back then... Who cares? Who is to say it does not contain their own words? No different than paper. Lincoln read the Gettysburg Address from paper.

That's rich...The Riddler complaining about someone else's abuse of the language...

Yeah. Let's outlaw teleprompters. And Speech Writers. And press liasons. And ...

Nice job with keeping Santorum around, GOP. That dude is a total whack job.

The only people I know who can actually speak well without notes and for that long a time, sell snake oil, time-shares and used cars. Frankly, I don't trust people who can go into a diatribe of persuasion because time and experience has shown they're so keen and full of vim/vigor because they're out to help themselves, not me.

We've come to the point where Santorum is hurting the party. I expect it from Gingrich because he's quite simply a narcissist. But for Santorum to have any hope of being the next cycle's front-runner in GOP style, he needs to step aside soon and say he supports the presumptive nominee who's gotten ~40% of the delegates needed. Romney will probably have enough on the 24 April primaries, or certainly with California. The GOP will not forgive him if this intrasquad match contributes to Obama getting 4 more years and a "progressive" agenda that would have nothing left to lose.

Polls late last week were showing a Romney +5 and +9 lead in Alabama and Mississippi.... and showed him winning by 3 points in November. That was Rasmussen. And ABC/WP yesterday has Romney winning the general by 2. Looks like Obama 1) was on the wrong side of the "free" contraception story and 2) is going to take a beating with gas prices this summer.

We've come to the point where Santorum is hurting the party. I expect it from Gingrich because he's quite simply a narcissist. But for Santorum to have any hope of being the next cycle's front-runner in GOP style, he needs to step aside soon and say he supports the presumptive nominee who's gotten ~40% of the delegates needed. Romney will probably have enough on the 24 April primaries, or certainly with California. The GOP will not forgive him if this intrasquad match contributes to Obama getting 4 more years and a "progressive" agenda that would have nothing left to lose.

I think that ship has sailed, and perhaps has Ricky which is about the only reason I can think of that he is still in this. Gingrich is a legend in his own mind and he and too knows this is his last hurrah. Both have no chance of winning outright before the convention and think they'll be power brokers that together will roll Romney and give him the bums rush out the door. I can't say I'm all for Romney, but I can say I am all against both RS (Rotten Sum'B word) and NG (Nasty Guy).

But for Santorum to have any hope of being the next cycle's front-runner in GOP style, he needs to step aside soon

If by "next cycle" you're referring to future presidential elections, I see no way a guy like Santorum will be able to ever rise above the current GOP's bench...people like Paul Ryan and Marco Rubio, the latter of whom is well-regarded among conservatives as a person who speaks amazingly well with nothing but a marked up napkin. Google some Rubio speeches and you'll see what I mean. There's a reason the left is going "birther" on him. He scares the living crap out of them, and Santorum would never be able to compete against either Ryan or Rubio.

I am NOT a big fan of them especially when Bush II was butchering them... But, as back then... Who cares? Who is to say it does not contain their own words? No different than paper. Lincoln read the Gettysburg Address from paper.

You mean President Lincoln wasn't reading off an iPad? Oh, the indignity!