Why do the last 12 years get lumped together

When Buddy Nix took the job he said we would build this team through the draft and then pay our own players. He has also shown that to be true. He has also shown in the Fitz, Chandler and Pears deal that they are willing to pick up a cast away, see if they fit in the system and then pay them.

This off season we have fewer holes than in the past. We are missing a few key pieces. We need a DE that can get to the QB. We need an OLB and a #2 receiver. We may have the #2 receiver in the fold already with Easley. We won’t know until we can see him play. Outside of these holes we have players who can play.

I am tired of hearing people say that Ralph is cheap because he won’t pay for top coaches and GM. Buddy seems to know what he is doing. Doug is a good young talent. Chan is one of the best offensive minds in the game. Dave has built a Super Bowl winning D. I am not sure but this may be the best coaching staff we have had since the early 90's.

Edited by PNW_Bills_Fan

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am entitled to be annoyed with how the Bills have done business over the last 10 years. That being said, I don't think anyone has said they're not heading in the right direction.

The problem is everything gets lumped together. I think the last 12 years there has been three different era's. You have the TD era and we all are glad that is over. We had the ML/Russ Brandon temp era. It was a time of healing for Ralph. What we got out of it was a business COO that knows how to run the Bills. Russ is who is behind the Bills being viability in our region. He didn't help get us a good team, but he did earn the trust of Ralph. Now we have the Buddy and Chan Era and this era is the one that has helped turn this around. We have a COO that knows Business. We have a GM and Assistant GM that know talent. We have a Head Coach and Assistant Head Coach that know how to win. I agree we can be mad at the past, but the last two years have been about building and I see the evidence of that.

When Buddy Nix took the job he said we would build this team through the draft and then pay our own players. He has also shown that to be true. He has also shown in the Fitz, Chandler and Pears deal that they are willing to pick up a cast away, see if they fit in the system and then pay them.

This off season we have fewer holes than in the past. We are missing a few key pieces. We need a DE that can get to the QB. We need an OLB and a #2 receiver. We may have the #2 receiver in the fold already with Easley. We won’t know until we can see him play. Outside of these holes we have players who can play.

I am tired of hearing people say that Ralph is cheap because he won’t pay for top coaches and GM. Buddy seems to know what he is doing. Doug is a good young talent. Chan is one of the best offensive minds in the game. Dave has built a Super Bowl winning D. I am not sure but this may be the best coaching staff we have had since the early 90's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxuHYVmWlmU

This off season we have fewer holes than in the past. We are missing a few key pieces. We need a DE that can get to the QB. We need an OLB and a #2 receiver. We may have the #2 receiver in the fold already with Easley. We won't know until we can see him play. Outside of these holes we have players who can play.

I am tired of hearing people say that Ralph is cheap because he won't pay for top coaches and GM. Buddy seems to know what he is doing. Doug is a good young talent. Chan is one of the best offensive minds in the game. Dave has built a Super Bowl winning D. I am not sure but this may be the best coaching staff we have had since the early 90's.

Not to pee in your Cheerios, but I see things totally different from you.

First of all Fitz was already on the team when Buddy Nix got to Buffalo as GM. What bugs me is that thru two full drafts and free agency periods there are still problem areas that were never really addressed the first two years. If you look at the core star starters on this team, Fitz, Fred Jackson, Stevie Johnson, Kyle Williams, George Wilson, Andy Levitre, Eric Wood, Chris Kelsay, Jairus Byrd were all brought in under Dick Jauron, not Buddy Nix!

Why does it take 3 years to find a pass rusher? Why does it take 3 years to build that O line, and that line is a big reason why the offense failed the last two years, injuries and no proper depth. The defense is still as bad as it was when Nix took over, switching to a 3-4 and now back to a 4-3 has been moronic.

Nix was a retired ex head of scouts and personnel and was promoted to GM. RW didn't hire a headhunter to find and bring in a top GM, instead he hired a man who had no actual GM experience at age 70. Nix has made a bunch of mistakes in his first two years. He brought in some totally useless players and over paid them. He has drafted for positions that were already deep, and failed to address areas of desperate need.

While Nix has done some good things he has also made plenty of mistakes. Chan Gailey was fired from his two previous jobs and was then hired and promoted to an NFL head coach. His mistakes were hired a DC that was down right horrible, and fielded the worst defense against the run in the entire 50 year history of the franchise, and yet retained him for a second year. Gailey hired a bunch of his assistants from his days as HC of Georgia Tech. Those inexperienced assistants were more then likely the biggest reason the team declined its first year under Gailey as the player roster is about the same as when Jauron was the HC.

I dunno about you but I didn't notice that much difference between Gailey calling the offensive players and when the Bills had Turk Schonert calling the plays. It seems like both were trying to run the Patriots offensive play book without the Patriots players. Constant shotgun passing plays with only one decent WR. The Bills ran the exact same game plan no matter who the players were on the field, its as if injuries had no impact, Gailey was going to run his offense regardless.

So far this HC & GM still haven't even equaled Marv levy & Dick Jaurons record of 7-9, and yet the core starters are all from that supposedly bad Jauron era. The only real difference has been the changing of the GM, coaches and scheme.

I'll praise this regime when they beat dick Jamorons record of 7-9

First of all Fitz was already on the team when Buddy Nix got to Buffalo as GM. What bugs me is that thru two full drafts and free agency periods there are still problem areas that were never really addressed the first two years. If you look at the core star starters on this team, Fitz, Fred Jackson, Stevie Johnson, Kyle Williams, George Wilson, Andy Levitre, Eric Wood, Chris Kelsay, Jairus Byrd were all brought in under Dick Jauron, not Buddy Nix!

Why does it take 3 years to find a pass rusher? Why does it take 3 years to build that O line, and that line is a big reason why the offense failed the last two years, injuries and no proper depth. The defense is still as bad as it was when Nix took over, switching to a 3-4 and now back to a 4-3 has been moronic.

Nix was a retired ex head of scouts and personnel and was promoted to GM. RW didn't hire a headhunter to find and bring in a top GM, instead he hired a man who had no actual GM experience at age 70. Nix has made a bunch of mistakes in his first two years. He brought in some totally useless players and over paid them. He has drafted for positions that were already deep, and failed to address areas of desperate need.

While Nix has done some good things he has also made plenty of mistakes. Chan Gailey was fired from his two previous jobs and was then hired and promoted to an NFL head coach. His mistakes were hired a DC that was down right horrible, and fielded the worst defense against the run in the entire 50 year history of the franchise, and yet retained him for a second year. Gailey hired a bunch of his assistants from his days as HC of Georgia Tech. Those inexperienced assistants were more then likely the biggest reason the team declined its first year under Gailey as the player roster is about the same as when Jauron was the HC.

I dunno about you but I didn't notice that much difference between Gailey calling the offensive players and when the Bills had Turk Schonert calling the plays. It seems like both were trying to run the Patriots offensive play book without the Patriots players. Constant shotgun passing plays with only one decent WR. The Bills ran the exact same game plan no matter who the players were on the field, its as if injuries had no impact, Gailey was going to run his offense regardless.

So far this HC & GM still haven't even equaled Marv levy & Dick Jaurons record of 7-9, and yet the core starters are all from that supposedly bad Jauron era. The only real difference has been the changing of the GM, coaches and scheme.

Seriously?

From the Moron/Levy drafts, there is a total of 5 players remaining. One, Kyle Williams, from 2006. A big fat ZERO from 2007. Four, which could end up being 1, from 2008(Johnson, Bell, Corner, McKelvin). In 2009 Nix took over as head of college scouting, so Byrd, Levitre and Wood could be considered his players. In total, from 06-08(3 drafts), it could end up being 2 players remaining from those drafts. Let that sink in for a second.

In 2010 when gailey/nix took over they were handed a pile of crap. Johnson wasn't even in the starting line up. The team as a whole lacked talent or couldn't evalute it(Johnson).

The 2010 draft yeilded Spiller, Troup, Carrington, Moats, Batten, Easley. Spiller looks like the real deal, Carrington is starting to make an impact and Moats and Batten are good depth. Easley and Troup are still an unknown.

The 2011 draft was even better. With Dareus, A. Williams, Sheppard, Hariston, Searcy and Rodgers looking to be big contributors. Both Whites are good depth as well.

In those 2 and will say half drafts, Nix has identified more talent than Jauron/Levy could in 3+ drafts. He's putting the pieces back together and the wins will come.

But to say Nix was handed a program capable of winning and rich with talent is a load of BS IMO.

Edited by Wayne333

Seriously?

From the Moron/Levy drafts, there is a total of 5 players remaining. One, Kyle Williams, from 2006. A big fat ZERO from 2007. Four, which could end up being 1, from 2008(Johnson, Bell, Corner, McKelvin). In 2009 Nix took over as head of college scouting, so Byrd, Levitre and Wood could be considered his players. In total, from 06-08(3 drafts), it could end up being 2 players remaining from those drafts. Let that sink in for a second.

In 2010 when gailey/nix took over they were handed a pile of crap. Johnson wasn't even in the starting line up. The team as a whole lacked talent or couldn't evalute it(Johnson).

The 2010 draft yeilded Spiller, Troup, Carrington, Moats, Batten, Easley. Spiller looks like the real deal, Carrington is starting to make an impact and Moats and Batten are good depth. Easley and Troup are still an unknown.

The 2011 draft was even better. With Dareus, A. Williams, Sheppard, Hariston, Searcy and Rodgers looking to be big contributors. Both Whites are good depth as well.

In those 2 and will say half drafts, Nix has identified more talent than Jauron/Levy could in 3+ drafts. He's putting the pieces back together and the wins will come.

But to say Nix was handed a program capable of winning and rich with talent is a load of BS IMO.

Exactly where in my post did I say Nix inherited a team rich with talent? He inherited a 6-10 / 7-9 team and made it worse....not better!

Five players? I count 9+ others i didn't mention. Both Poz, and Whitner would both still be Buffalo Bills and starting if they didn't choose to leave. If Lynch were still with the Bills Spiller would be 3rd string. That 2010 draft class didn't start one player from day one of the 2010 season, and yet it was a bad 4-12 team. Those players only made the field because of injuries to the starters this past year. Perhaps now, 3 years after they were drafted some might get a starting job and finally earn a roster spot. CJ Spiller is still not the starter after three years, the 2010 #9 pick overall is still a backup to a player brought in by Levy / Jauron.

Starting QB...Jauron

Starting RB...Jauron

Starting #1 WR...Jauron

Starting center ...Jauron

starting guard...Jauron

starting LT... Jauron

Those players are the best offensive players on the team and all were brought in by Jauron / Levy, who had the final say in the draft. I get a kick that fans so eager to defend Nix will state he drafted Wood & Levite, oh but Jauron drafted Maybin.

This GM in one of his first press conferences stated " your going to think I'm crazy, but this team is not that far away" Clearly he looked over the roster and thought the team could win with the talent he had, or he wouldn't have made that statement. Then after the team going losing their first 8 games in a row he back tracked and said " this will take some time."

The problem wasn't the talent on the field, it was all the inexperienced and bad coaches Chan Gailey hired. I suppose next you will defend George Edwards and the two years wasted switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and now back to a 4-3. That 2010 Bills team should have been better then 4-12 had this GM & HC made the right moves. Cornell Green at 2 million a year was a complete waste at RT and was benched and finally cut after only 5 games. Then Nix was forced to find warm bodies off the waiver wire to fill in at RT. This one area was a big reason why the offense couldn't run or pass very well in the first half of 2010.

This same basic offensive talent that was on the team in 2009 brought in by Jauron was here in 2011 and beat the Patriots, and almost beat the NY Giants at their home field.

The Spiller pick when the team was desperate for a pass rusher and O line help even back then in 2010 still makes no sense. Why does it take 3 years to find a pass rusher?

Both this GM and HC have made their share of mistakes or the team would have at least beaten Jaurons 7-9 record by now, and they haven't ...which in my view isn't all that great. I just don't get why you guys are so enamored with Nix & Gailey and a 4-12 to 6-10 record so far.

Starting QB...Jauron - who didn't start under Jauron, was considered a back up, Edwards was the starter

Starting RB...Jauron - who didn't start under Jauron, was considered a back up, Marshawn was the starter

Starting #1 WR...Jauron - AGAIN, who didn't start under Jauron, TO and Evans... Johnson only saw the field because of Gailey/Nix

Starting center ...Jauron - Who was drafted in 09' when Nix was head of college scouting

starting guard...Jauron- Who was drafted in 09' when Nix was head of college scouting

starting LT... Jauron- Who was drafted in 09' when Nix was head of college scouting

3 of the people you listed, Moron coudln't even identify the talent.

so whats your point again?

Edited by Wayne333

This off season we have fewer holes than in the past. We are missing a few key pieces. We need a DE that can get to the QB. We need an OLB and a #2 receiver. We may have the #2 receiver in the fold already with Easley. We won't know until we can see him play. Outside of these holes we have players who can play.

I am tired of hearing people say that Ralph is cheap because he won't pay for top coaches and GM. Buddy seems to know what he is doing. Doug is a good young talent. Chan is one of the best offensive minds in the game. Dave has built a Super Bowl winning D. I am not sure but this may be the best coaching staff we have had since the early 90's.

All good points.

I think there's a remaining "meet the New Boss, same as the Old Boss" mentality after 12 years of futility. There are some positive signs, and some negative signs.

The 2010 draft has not panned out at all, and some of the initial FA acquisitions/signings have been poor to "meh" - Cornell Green, Reggie Torbor, Dwan Edwards.

The 2011 draft and some of the more recent signings have panned out much better - Pears, Rhinehart, Barnett, Chandler - and I think the fact that we've resigned some good players such as Stevie, McGee, Chandler, Lindell - very positive.

The question remains, was 2010 just the dying gasp of the old regime's draft and FA? Or was 2011 an anomoly?

I for one am anxiously awaiting this years draft and FA.

If we come out of it with some of the holes you mention filled (I think we need two LB and an OT besides the DE and #2 WR you mention-plan on Merriman not returning and be pleasantly surprised if he can), there will be good reason to be....

Hopeful

Somehow I doubt that.

The simple answer is: The only thing Buffalo fans like more than the Bills or Sabres is... complaining.

It makes it easier for them to complain, and hate on the team and current regime and the moves they are doing. No matter what happens, the Bills are damned if they do and damned if they dont. People will always complain about the moves because they want to set themselves up to feel good about the failure if it happens again. Lame.

I agree with your entire post.

Go Bills!!

Because it sounds worse to rant about the last 12 years instead of the last two. It also saves them the brain cells needed to actually analyze what went wrong instead of just making easy blanket condemnations.

Very little of the last 12 years had to do with money, IMO. First was Wade and Ralph getting into a pissing match. Then hiring Whitey Donahoe and giving him control. Then Ralph getting burned by Donahoe and running to old friend Marv Levy who couldn't hire a babysitter much less a coach. Then letting Dick(less) Jauron make draft decisions. Then Shanny and Cowher turning down the Bills no matter how much money was offered.

Luckily the promotion of Nix, which seemed like a last resort move at the time, much like hiring Bill Polian was in 1986, seems to be working out.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot