Why do the last 12 years get lumped together

I would love to have gone better than 7-9 in Chan/Nix's first few seasons, but I am sure glad we are not playing the most boring and unwatchable football in the NFL anymore like we did under Jouron. That was the most pathletic display of NFL football ever. Sure, it worked 7 times a year but not because we were better than any of teams we beat, we won 7 times a year because the other teams didn't know they could play as piss poor as the Bills. I'll take Chan 100 time out of 100 when being compared to Jouron as the head coach.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it all gets lumped together because of the only thing that matters, our record.

4-12, 6-10, are not seasons to be proud of, it's more of the same in the end.

That being said, it *feels* different, for some reason, but there better be results to back up that feeling soon.

I would love to have gone better than 7-9 in Chan/Nix's first few seasons, but I am sure glad we are not playing the most boring and unwatchable football in the NFL anymore like we did under Jouron. That was the most pathletic display of NFL football ever. Sure, it worked 7 times a year but not because we were better than any of teams we beat, we won 7 times a year because the other teams didn't know they could play as piss poor as the Bills. I'll take Chan 100 time out of 100 when being compared to Jouron as the head coach.

My sentiments exactly. I gotta say, I was despondent by the end of the Jauron era. I have loved this team my whole life, been through more dark times than good times, but my love never diminished...until Jauron came along, and stayed too long. It had gotten to the point where I dreaded Sundays more than I looked forward to them. Jauron's teams were not only not very good, they managed to snuff out any trace of the fun of football, for me.

To this day, I feel a little indebted to Terrell Owens, who, in his own way, I think, shamed the Bills (Mr Wilson?) into finally pulling the plug on Jaruon. TO's behavior and attitude were pretty exemplary during his season in Buffalo, but if you recall, he popped off about the way the offensive talent was being used after a misreable loss to the Titans...and was finally canned that week. Perry Fewell took over that last 7 weeks, and it just felt different, almost immediately.

Now, I like Chan Gailey. I like his personality, and I think he is smart. I do wish, at times, he was less pass happy...but man, under him, this team has been so much more enjoyable to watch...even when the results haven't been what we would like. I realize, going into every season, only a few teams have a realistic chance of winning a Super Bowl, and I can live with the fact that it might be my team only once in a very blue moon...but my god, just make the games fun to watch. So far, Nix and Gailey deserve a lot of credit for making Bills football entertaining, once again.

Edited by Buftex

-10-22 over the last 2 years

-Have you looked at the 2010 draft?

-Deciding to go with Fitz as the future

-Serious concerns about Chan's playcalling

-Zero pass rush (forever)

The Pollys are out in full force since Stevie was resigned. Nobody is mentioning that the talent that has been resigned is average talent (Stevie might crack the top 20 WRs). If the Bills do everything they can to improve the pass rush, WR depth and LB depth then I will start to become more excited. Until then, I reserve the right to say same ol same ol at OBD.

I gotta give it up to Rico. He nailed it a few years ago when he posted those prophetic words that are in my signature. I hope it changes but if you're not skeptical, you're just foolish.

My sentiments exactly. I gotta say, I was despondent by the end of the Jauron era. I have loved this team my whole life, been through more dark times than good times, but my love never diminished...until Jauron came along, and stayed too long. It had gotten to the point where I dreaded Sundays more than I looked forward to them. Jauron's teams were not only not very good, they managed to snuff out any trace of the fun of football, for me.

To this day, I feel a little indebted to Terrell Owens, who, in his own way, I think, shamed the Bills (Mr Wilson?) into finally pulling the plug on Jaruon. TO's behavior and attitude were pretty exemplary during his season in Buffalo, but if you recall, he popped off about the way the offensive talent was being used after a misreable loss to the Titans...and was finally canned that week. Perry Fewell took over that last 7 weeks, and it just felt different, almost immediately.

Now, I like Chan Gailey. I like his personality, and I think he is smart. I do wish, at times, he was less pass happy...but man, under him, this team has been so much more enjoyable to watch...even when the results haven't been what we would like. I realize, going into every season, only a few teams have a realistic chance of winning a Super Bowl, and I can live with the fact that it might be my team only once in a very blue moon...but my god, just make the games fun to watch. So far, Nix and Gailey deserve a lot of credit for making Bills football entertaining, once again.

So after 2 seasons of the ChaNix era the Bills went 10-22 whereas the last 2 full seasons of the Jauron era the Bills went 14-18.

While neither record is something to be proud of, there has been an obvious drop-off under ChaNix. Yet to some that is acceptable because somehow, even though the team is losing more, they are more fun to watch now. It is interesting to see how peoples minds work.

If ChaNix goes 4-12 and get fired next season (not wanting that to happen by the way), 2 seasons after that we will see posts saying how much more fun the Bills are to watch under the new people than under those "losers" ChaNix.

Edited by CodeMonkey

So after 2 seasons of the ChaNix era the Bills went 10-22 whereas the last 2 full seasons of the Jauron era the Bills went 14-18.

While neither record is something to be proud of, there has been an obvious drop-off under ChaNix. Yet to some that is acceptable because somehow, even though the team is losing more, they are more fun to watch now. It is interesting to see how peoples minds work.

Yup... 10 wins or 14 wins aren't very different... I happen to think the team is closer to turning the corner now, than they ever were under Jauron. They still have their problems, no doubt, but you can see improvement... under Jauron, the game of waiting for the other team to make more mistakes than your own team was just horrible football, and not very enjoyable in any way.

-10-22 over the last 2 years

-Have you looked at the 2010 draft?

-Deciding to go with Fitz as the future

-Serious concerns about Chan's playcalling

-Zero pass rush (forever)

The Pollys are out in full force since Stevie was resigned. Nobody is mentioning that the talent that has been resigned is average talent (Stevie might crack the top 20 WRs). If the Bills do everything they can to improve the pass rush, WR depth and LB depth then I will start to become more excited. Until then, I reserve the right to say same ol same ol at OBD.

I gotta give it up to Rico. He nailed it a few years ago when he posted those prophetic words that are in my signature. I hope it changes but if you're not skeptical, you're just foolish.

Main difference between Rico's quote was that this year the inevitable decline happened a little later than normal.

When a player, like a Jason Peters leaves those same pollyanna's say the team was bad with him. When Buffalo retains someone, in this case SJ, everyone runs to the mountain top to shout how things are now different. Well, keeping SJ was something that both sides needed. As good a deal as it appears for team and player, they need to add to him beginning Tuesday at 4PM. Just saying you'll build through the draft while signing some scrub UFA's, and picking up cast-offs isn't enough to be more than 7-9.

Ah well, it's the off-season. 2011 is a distant and nearly forgotten for some.

Let me first say that I like the direction Buddy and Chan are taking this team in, but for me the past twelve years get lumped together for one simple reason. No playoffs. Until that changes, the Buddy and Chan era should absolutely be lumped together with all the rest.

Yup... 10 wins or 14 wins aren't very different... I happen to think the team is closer to turning the corner now, than they ever were under Jauron. They still have their problems, no doubt, but you can see improvement... under Jauron, the game of waiting for the other team to make more mistakes than your own team was just horrible football, and not very enjoyable in any way.

12% if my math is correct. Fairly significant to me.

I understand what you are saying. And I guess to some just believing the team is heading in the right direction can change their psyche enough to overlook the seasons records and make them feel better about the worse (at least as far as records are concerned) seasons.

The Pollys are out in full force since Stevie was resigned.

When a player, like a Jason Peters leaves those same pollyanna's say the team was bad with him.

Oh good, the usual Nancies are here. You're so superior because you hedge your bets against the Bills every year. Way to go, super fans... :rolleyes:

12% if my math is correct. Fairly significant to me.

I understand what you are saying. And I guess to some just believing the team is heading in the right direction can change their psyche enough to overlook the seasons records and make them feel better about the worse (at least as far as records are concerned) seasons.

Hey, I have been as critical of this franchise as anyone over the last 5 years or so... but it hasn't stopped me from watching every single play, of every single game. I just like to see improvement somewhere. I have issues (sometimes serious issues) with Gailey's play calling at times, but I also think he has called some really excellent games as well. As stubborn as he has been about relying in the passing game a bit too much for my taste, I also see that the Bills are, finally, developing players. Under Jauron, IMO, very few players ever improved.

If ChaNix goes 4-12 and get fired next season (not wanting that to happen by the way), 2 seasons after that we will see posts saying how much more fun the Bills are to watch under the new people than under those "losers" ChaNix.

It's not just that they are more fun to watch. It doesnt come down to comparing only the final records.

In Chix's first two years we witnessed a complete revamp of the entire franchise. Not only coaches and players, but front office personnel too.

Following along with their plan, anyone with half a brain can see the direction they are taking the team in. It's just unfortunate that the previous decade of floundering put them in a situation that couldnt be turned around in 1 offseason, as so many demand.

When you look at EVERYTHING Nix has done, as a whole, it makes way more sense than the non-plan Donahoe/Levy/Brandon/Jauron were operating under. We can see Nix doing things that us fans have been screaming for for years. But again, the Bills are damned if they do, damned if they dont since Buffalo fans love complaining.

Why would anyone hedge their bets? You would be a fool not to bet the house on the Bills!!

Im not putting up any money, but to remain so pessimistic and hate the team so much (along with anyone who supports it), what is the point of pretending to be a fan?

Im not putting up any money, but to remain so pessimistic and hate the team so much (along with anyone who supports it), what is the point of pretending to be a fan?

So the "haters" hate the team and its supporters.

And the "supporters" support the team and the "haters".

Is that how it works?

Oh good, the usual Nancies are here. You're so superior because you hedge your bets against the Bills every year. Way to go, super fans... :rolleyes:

I like you Dr.D. You're always very civil and you seem like a nice guy. But you are not more of a fan than I am because you believe in unicorns. This is a message board not a circle jerk.

Buddy said show me the baby, not me. The Bills went 1-8 in their last 9 games. They gave up 49 straight points to their division "rival" on the last game of the season. How's that baby looking?

If I'm suppose to temper my doubt you Pollys should temper your baseless enthusiasm. Until then, I'll continue to post not to be right at the end of the year but because it's what I see. Thanks bud. :thumbsup:

If you lump the last 22 years together, the Bills make the Superbowl an average of every 5 1/2 years. That's pretty good, right? :w00t:

Further proof that you can make statistics look as good or bad as you want if you try hard enough :)

It's not just that they are more fun to watch. It doesnt come down to comparing only the final records.

In Chix's first two years we witnessed a complete revamp of the entire franchise. Not only coaches and players, but front office personnel too.

Following along with their plan, anyone with half a brain can see the direction they are taking the team in. It's just unfortunate that the previous decade of floundering put them in a situation that couldnt be turned around in 1 offseason, as so many demand.

When you look at EVERYTHING Nix has done, as a whole, it makes way more sense than the non-plan Donahoe/Levy/Brandon/Jauron were operating under. We can see Nix doing things that us fans have been screaming for for years. But again, the Bills are damned if they do, damned if they dont since Buffalo fans love complaining.

Except for in kindergarten recreational soccer, like it or not records are how teams are measured.

I agree with you that this team wasn't flushed down the toilet in one season, and it wasn't going to be restored to relevancy in one season either. I'm not expecting a SB win this season. In fact, I don't expect to make the playoffs this coming season (though I wouldn't cry if they did ;) ). But ChaNix will have had 3 FA periods, 3 drafts, and 3 seasons of coaching by the end of the next season. I have not seen marked improvement yet, as witnessed by the records. In fact, I have seen quite the opposite. I sure expect to see some next season. 8-8 at least, which is not being unreasonable I don't think. Show me the baby Buddy, sans excuses.

Edited by CodeMonkey