Your Favorite Noir Movies

CosmicBills

I'm in search of some good Noir movies to watch over the next couple weeks. I'm fairly well versed in the classics of the genre (Double Indemnity, Sunset Boulevard, Naked City, all the Chandler stuff etc) but I'm sure there are ones I'm missing. What are your favorites of the genre?

My top 3 would be:

1. Double Indemnity

2. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (sacreligious I'm sure)

3. The Big Sleep

I'm in search of some good Noir movies to watch over the next couple weeks. I'm fairly well versed in the classics of the genre (Double Indemnity, Sunset Boulevard, Naked City, all the Chandler stuff etc) but I'm sure there are ones I'm missing. What are your favorites of the genre?

My top 3 would be:

1. Double Indemnity

3. The Big Sleep

I didn't know what the term "noir movie" meant until I read the title of your favorites.

I think this topic is off limits even for this board. I don't really watch that stuff but some of my clients do. I'll have to get a few of those titles. Debbie Does Dallas and 21 Hump Street are classics but yours sound more eclectic other than Double indemnity which just sounds gross.

I didn't know what the term "noir movie" meant until I read the title of your favorites.

I think this topic is off limits even for this board. I don't really watch that stuff but some of my clients do. I'll have to get a few of those titles. Debbie Does Dallas and 21 Hump Street are classics but yours sound more eclectic other than Double indemnity which just sounds gross.

Yeah, it's kinda gross. But it's HUGE in Canada.

"L.A. Confidential"- I still am flabbergasted when I realize that "Titanic" won best picture over this movie.

I also really enjoyed "Brick", a small film from 2005 with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Lukas Haas & Emilie de Ravin. The idea of having a modern day high school story with a film noir setting sounds odd, but it actually worked out good.

"L.A. Confidential"- I still am flabbergasted when I realize that "Titanic" won best picture over this movie.

I also really enjoyed "Brick", a small film from 2005 with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Lukas Haas & Emilie de Ravin. The idea of having a modern day high school story with a film noir setting sounds odd, but it actually worked out good.

I'm not sure people have really caught on as to just how solid of an actor JGL has evolved into. I never watched 3rd Rock, but I think he was sort of having to fight to get out from that role. But this kid has a ton of range and he's a terrific character actor. I don't think a lot of people saw it, as it wasn't a great film (although it had a stellar cast), but when you look at his role in "Killshot" and contrast that with his other work in "500 Days of Summer", "Hesher", "50/50", and even "G.I.Joe", it's actually some very impressive work. These roles are each very different and he is convincing in every one of them. He's become one of my favorite actors over the past few years.

Sleeping Booty?

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Jessica :wub:

My top 3 would be:

1. Double Indemnity

3. The Big Sleep

One you're probably already aware of that I like is The House On Telegraph Hill. Some would argue that it's not a true film noir, but it seems like one to me.

I guess some people like to fall back on some technical definition of the genre, but I'd rather not get into that kind of boring analysis. For me, it's about a certain kind of darkness of mood/feeling/atmosphere and I think this movie has it.