Courtney Upshaw

PDaDdy

Is anyone still thinking DE in the first round? I was vocal about my support for both Coples and Upshaw but as usual forum members turn it into a polarizing issue because you can't like one guy without hating the other. I think I still prefer Coples over Upshaw but since the combine nobody is banging the drum for Upshaw anymore? Where is the love? Did the guy forget how to play football or do people think he might be a reach at #10 or a bad fit for our defense?

Is anyone still thinking DE in the first round? I was vocal about my support for both Coples and Upshaw but as usual forum members turn it into a polarizing issue because you can't like one guy without hating the other. I think I still prefer Coples over Upshaw but since the combine nobody is banging the drum for Upshaw anymore? Where is the love? Did the guy forget how to play football or do people think he might be a reach at #10 or a bad fit for our defense?

Upshaw showed serious stiff hips in the on-field drills. You need to have the athletic ability to change direction as a defender and he looks like a straight ahead, bull rush, limited downs type of player. He might drop into the second round if he doesn't show better at his pro day.

Im still a big fan of Upshaw but he did suck it up at the combine. I think he would be a great DE for us and could pull his hand off the ground to shift looks with out changing personel. I think Couples is lazy and dont want him. Hopefully Miami takes him and he stinks.

Upshaws pro day better be a good showing for his sake. I still belive he will be a very solid pro.

Upshaw showed serious stiff hips in the on-field drills. You need to have the athletic ability to change direction as a defender and he looks like a straight ahead, bull rush, limited downs type of player. He might drop into the second round if he doesn't show better at his pro day.

That is what I am worried about as well. Everyone likes to throw out the usual disclaimers regarding why the consensus higher rated player, like Coples, isn't any good. Measureables mean nothing. The combine is the underwear Olympics. So and so has no motor. On and on. I was just wondering what the feeling was on Upshaw and his measureables and combine performance. I got ripped by quite a few for preferring Coples over Upshaw but I haven't heard a single peep about Upshaw in over a week.

I was wondering where all his supporters were and if they still feel the same way? I still think he is a good football player but I have had the same fears about him before his combine performance or lack there of. I'm no expert on these potential tweener guys but I'm thinking he is more of a 3-4 OLB. This is the kind of guy that Pittsburgh would take, work with and probably have a decent football player inside 1 - 3 years.

I don't think he is a fit for our team anymore as a potential 4-3 DE or a 4-3 OLB. I certainly don't think he is #10 overall worthy anymore either.

I like Upshaw. I think he will be a good solid run-stopping 4-3 DE with very good instincts who will generate occasional

pass rush through power and tenacity. Just watching some games of his tells you that he isn't likely to be the premier pass rushing

DE that the Bills are missing. I think that the combine just confirmed that he is as described.

My preference is to get a DE instead of an OLB but I don't want either of them based on the limited amount of games I've watched them play. The combine just confirmed my suspicions about Upshaw's lack of athleticism. That's not to say he wasn't a great player in college because he was. It just means I have doubts about how his game transitions to a higher level of play.

Anyway, they both look like reaches at 10 at this point. Give me BPA and I won't be surprised if that's one of the OTs already mentioned in other threads. Regardless of what happens with Bell's contract.

GO BILLS!!!

I like Upshaw and would be happy if the Bills got him at 10. I dont care too much about the combine performance since he proved for almost 3 years that he could play at a very high level.

For players that have as much film and highlights as he does, the combine should not be changing anyone's mind.

When you watch Courtney Upshaw play, he is an animal. His "stiff hips" and slow cone drills go right out the window. Upshaw is a 3 down player day 1 on this Bills team. He can play LE and let Kelsay play RE with Merriman. Upshaw sets the edge, is instinctive to the ball, and beyond that, finishes plays. That alone makes him worthy of the pick.

He is probably the safest DE to take in the first round.

What I would love to see is for the Bills to trade down with Cincy, pick up both of their 1st round picks, and take Upshaw and the best WR on the board. That solves 2 problems in the 1st round, and the FO can spend the rest of the draft bringing in high quality depth so that when the inevitable 21 man IR List begins to build, this team isn't left with Ruvell Martin and that guy who got picked up mid-season off the waiver wire.

Coples sucks and Upshaw doesn't fit.

1330802647[/url]' post='2394123']

I hate saying this, but the best fit for Upshaw is probably the Jets at 16.

Yep. While he's not my first choice for the bills because I'm not sold on him as a pass rushing DE, It would suck if he landed with the jets. I think he can be a great 3-4 OLB. Let's hope he goes off the board before the jets pick.

A bleacher report with a mocks from different analysts heavily favored Upshaw at ten recently. The biggest factor was that he can play run and pass.

I also agree that the combine is not any comparison to a players body of work ( Tape ) not stats but who did he play against and what did he do that day? Right now i dont like much of any one at ten unless one of the top five fall. Not that they are not potentially longterm players just nothing seems special this year. Trade down. Find someone Buddy.

if we get Upshaw we should be fine all considered. but still i vote no for Coples. sorry guys.

A bleacher report with a mocks from different analysts heavily favored Upshaw at ten recently. The biggest factor was that he can play run and pass.

I also agree that the combine is not any comparison to a players body of work ( Tape ) not stats but who did he play against and what did he do that day? Right now i dont like much of any one at ten unless one of the top five fall. Not that they are not potentially longterm players just nothing seems special this year. Trade down. Find someone Buddy.

if we get Upshaw we should be fine all considered. but still i vote no for Coples. sorry guys.

Why would you say that when he completely bombed out at his combine? Melvin Ingram wowed everyone with his athleticism and Upshaw looked stiffer than Mitt Romney at a Jay Z concert. He's a power only guy with clear physical limitations whether he's playing as a OLB or DE. So his body size sucks for which ever position you put him at, and he doesn't have the ability to move very well. How is that fine for our pick at #10?

I get that he looks good on tape, but that's at the college level. I think all signs point to Upshaw being a disappointing first round pick for whichever team takes him that high.

Edited by 1billsfan

I really like Upshaw. He has got phenominal instincts. But he isn't an elite pass rusher. I agree with Buddy that someone good will be there in the second. The question is is Courtney Upshaw good enough at 10? If we were still running a 3-4, I think Ingram and Upshaw would merit a lot of consideration at 10. But I am not so sure with a 4-3. Upshaw can set the edge, but can he rush the passer? Ingram can rush the passer, but can he set the edge? I don't think you want those questions at 10.

I am beginning to think they may take Floyd at 10. But what the heck do I know? I've heard that Floyd isn't the best route runner. But I've also heard he's a great blocker. And I sure as hell ain't Buddy Nix.

But whoever is there at 10, I think we take BPA. We've done that the past 2 years. And we'll do it this year.

First, if he is at 10 then i am okay with that. I have alot of preferences besides him. But because of the overall leanings of the folks who know? , i can see he might be the pick. He is not elite at pass or run but can play both well enough to be considered.

If he is BPA then i am ok with it.

Still i am adamant that we trade down this season. i know it's alot to ask but i think we could get two pass rushers that will be almost as good or better than anyone in the top ten right now.

But more importantly what the heck were you doing with Mitt Romney at Jay z concert? that will sourly affect your credibilty here i think :sick:

I really like Upshaw. He has got phenominal instincts. But he isn't an elite pass rusher. I agree with Buddy that someone good will be there in the second. The question is is Courtney Upshaw good enough at 10? If we were still running a 3-4, I think Ingram and Upshaw would merit a lot of consideration at 10. But I am not so sure with a 4-3. Upshaw can set the edge, but can he rush the passer? Ingram can rush the passer, but can he set the edge? I don't think you want those questions at 10.

I am beginning to think they may take Floyd at 10. But what the heck do I know? I've heard that Floyd isn't the best route runner. But I've also heard he's a great blocker. And I sure as hell ain't Buddy Nix.

But whoever is there at 10, I think we take BPA. We've done that the past 2 years. And we'll do it this year.

I am really starting to face up that we will not get someone i would like in first. Still have concerns with receivers and tackles specifically at 10. I should be glad if we could get Kirkpatrick at this point

First, if he is at 10 then i am okay with that. I have alot of preferences besides him. But because of the overall leanings of the folks who know? , i can see he might be the pick. He is not elite at pass or run but can play both well enough to be considered.

If he is BPA then i am ok with it.

Still i am adamant that we trade down this season. i know it's alot to ask but i think we could get two pass rushers that will be almost as good or better than anyone in the top ten right now.

But more importantly what the heck were you doing with Mitt Romney at Jay z concert? that will sourly affect your credibilty here i think :sick:

Hey, I thought it was a pretty good metaphor! Upshaw is the very definition of a tweener. I think he drops like a rock and goes in the second round. Hightower will get picked before him. There's no way I can see the Bills taking Upshaw at #10.

Well i hope he does. Then we can consider all the available talent there really in the second. Curry comes to mind. D. Hightower has been talked up by us and i am sure we could find some more gems there too. our second is #41 isn't it? I hope we can get our rushers from thereabouts. DaveW still talks about flexibilty with defenses and defensive players today and getting a guy that can play 3 downs regardless of what the offense lines up. Tough year for us and a lot of pressure on the staff i feel. Thanks #1

Edited by 3rdand12

Why dont we draft Upshaw and Curry, 1-2, and have our replacements/upgrades for Merriman and Kelsay? :thumbsup:

Should note, I also like Ingram a lot and would probably take him over Upshaw. I dont think Ingram will be available though.

Edited by DrDareustein