Thoughts...

Alaska Darin

1. Lawyer Milloy is playing at an incredibly high level and it is having a HUGE effect on his secondary teammates. Witness Kevin Thomas' sack/FF. It looked so much like a Milloy play (setup the blocker and then scrape off just in time to reach the QB) that I actually thought it WAS the LAW on the play.

2. Mularkey as a HC has come a LONG way since early in the season in his game management. Witness the Drew fumble (which WAS a fumble) late in the first half on the drive that put the dagger in the Niners. Get them to the line and snap the damn ball, making the replay moot. Led to a TD. I ripped him earlier in the year (against the Pats) for not having the team prepared to do just that. Kudos.

3. Drew is playing with a TON of confidence. That doesn't mean he's playing great (he isn't) but he's playing alot better than he has in quite some time. I'm still concerned about his pocket awareness but even that is significantly improved from earlier in the season. Sam Wyche is obviously having an effect and I'm curious to see what that means over an offseason.

4. Jerry Gray probably isn't going to get a HC offer this offseason and that's not fair - but it's great for us. The turnaround of this defense is complete now, with their ballhawking skills FINALLY changing to the good. I'm sure some of it has to do with the personnel changes and the unselfish move by Troy Vincent to the safety position but it's impressive nonetheless.

5. It's amazing how bounces go when you're playing with confidence and the other team isn't.

6. Sam Adams is AWESOME but Pat Williams is just as important in the scheme of this defense. PW's ability to anchor the middle by himself allows Sam to freelance more and make plays. It was really entertaining to watch Pat toss a woof here and there at the Niners because he was killing them all by himself.

7. Jeff Posey's penalty was a crock, as was Lee Evans'. LE's was even worse considering the LBer hit him out of bounds AT LEAST 20 yards after the whistle blew. Oh, and BTW refs: When they hit our QB in the head and our RB 3 yards out of bounds, those are penalties. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: inconsistant NFL officials.

8. Lee Evans is everything I thought he was going to be. His reception on the out that Drew got whacked in the grill was spectacular despite how easy he made it look. I look forward to watching him making defenses sick for a LONG time.

9. TKO is playing out of his head and right now there isn't a running back in this league who is going to block him one on one with much success. Bengals fans who think he's overrated know as much about football as Mike Brown. It's very obvious that TKO and London are watching alot of film together. Jeff Posey may be in the meeting but he's eating wheat marshmallows or something. I won't be sad if he's not around next season.

10. Josh Stamer's INT yesterday was great. That guy has been lights out on special teams this season and it was nice to see him make a play on regular defense.

11. Sam Aiken is a PHYSICAL football player. He's out of his head on special teams coverage and is our best blocking WR.

12. We desperately need a tight end (big shock). Euhus and Campbell are Pro Bowlers compared to what we had yesterday. I think Euhus is going to be a good one but his penchant for being injured (he's blown out both knees) is a concern.

13. The biggest reason for this turnaround is field position, a battle we've been losing with great consistancy for 3 seasons. Defensive turnovers and excellent special teams can really hide slow starting offenses.

14. It's nice to see directional punting return to the NFL. A big :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: to anyone who thinks Shane Lechler is a better punter than Moorman. Oh and BTW Joe Burns, if you don't stop dropping first down passes that are RIGHT TO YOU, you're going to find yourself selling insurance. That's twice.

15. How'd you like to be standing across the field facing Bobby April right now? Good luck with that. Question for rules afficiandos: Are Lineman allowed to be downfield when the QB (in this case Moorman) has left of the pocket? I've always thought they were.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3.  Drew is playing with a TON of confidence.  That doesn't mean he's playing great (he isn't) but he's playing alot better than he has in quite some time.  I'm still concerned about his pocket awareness but even that is significantly improved from earlier in the season.  Sam Wyche is obviously having an effect and I'm curious to see what that means over an offseason.

180579[/snapback]

I give all the credit to Wyche & Clements for having the patience of Job in working with him.

Ummmm...Cliff Notes please. :blink:

14. It's nice to see directional punting return to the NFL. A big fyou.gif to anyone who thinks Shane Lechler is a better punter than Moorman. Oh and BTW Joe Burns, if you don't stop dropping first down passes that are RIGHT TO YOU, you're going to find yourself selling insurance. That's twice.

There's something to complain about. Lechler in the Pro Bowl instead of Moorman? Ridiculous. I almost thought they set up that fake punt yesterday with the hopes of the pass being completed and Moorman getting some primetime props...maybe even some recognition for being snubbed.

1.  Lawyer Milloy is playing at an incredibly high level and it is having a HUGE effect on his secondary teammates.  Witness Kevin Thomas' sack/FF.  It looked so much like a Milloy play (setup the blocker and then scrape off just in time to reach the QB) that I actually thought it WAS the LAW on the play.   

2.  Mularkey as a HC has come a LONG way since early in the season in his game management.  Witness the Drew fumble (which WAS a fumble) late in the first half on the drive that put the dagger in the Niners.  Get them to the line and snap the damn ball, making the replay moot.  Led to a TD.  I ripped him earlier in the year (against the Pats) for not having the team prepared to do just that.  Kudos.

3.  Drew is playing with a TON of confidence.  That doesn't mean he's playing great (he isn't) but he's playing alot better than he has in quite some time.  I'm still concerned about his pocket awareness but even that is significantly improved from earlier in the season.  Sam Wyche is obviously having an effect and I'm curious to see what that means over an offseason.

4.  Jerry Gray probably isn't going to get a HC offer this offseason and that's not fair - but it's great for us.  The turnaround of this defense is complete now, with their ballhawking skills FINALLY changing to the good.  I'm sure some of it has to do with the personnel changes and the unselfish move by Troy Vincent to the safety position but it's impressive nonetheless.

5.  It's amazing how bounces go when you're playing with confidence and the other team isn't.

6.  Sam Adams is AWESOME but Pat Williams is just as important in the scheme of this defense.  PW's ability to anchor the middle by himself allows Sam to freelance more and make plays.  It was really entertaining to watch Pat toss a woof here and there at the Niners because he was killing them all by himself.

7.  Jeff Posey's penalty was a crock, as was Lee Evans'.  LE's was even worse considering the LBer hit him out of bounds AT LEAST 20 yards after the whistle blew.  Oh, and BTW refs:  When they hit our QB in the head and our RB 3 yards out of bounds, those are penalties.  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  inconsistant NFL officials.

8.  Lee Evans is everything I thought he was going to be.  His reception on the out that Drew got whacked in the grill was spectacular despite how easy he made it look.  I look forward to watching him making defenses sick for a LONG time.

9.  TKO is playing out of his head and right now there isn't a running back in this league who is going to block him one on one with much success.  Bengals fans who think he's overrated know as much about football as Mike Brown.  It's very obvious that TKO and London are watching alot of film together.  Jeff Posey may be in the meeting but he's eating wheat marshmallows or something.  I won't be sad if he's not around next season.

10.  Josh Stamer's  INT yesterday was great.  That guy has been lights out on special teams this season and it was nice to see him make a play on regular defense.

11.  Sam Aiken is a PHYSICAL football player.  He's out of his head on special teams coverage and is our best blocking WR.

12.  We desperately need a tight end (big shock).  Euhus and Campbell are Pro Bowlers compared to what we had yesterday.  I think Euhus is going to be a good one but his penchant for being injured (he's blown out both knees) is a concern.

13.  The biggest reason for this turnaround is field position, a battle we've been losing with great consistancy for 3 seasons.  Defensive turnovers and excellent special teams can really hide slow starting offenses.

14.  It's nice to see directional punting return to the NFL.  A big  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  to anyone who thinks Shane Lechler is a better punter than Moorman.  Oh and BTW Joe Burns, if you don't stop dropping first down passes that are RIGHT TO YOU, you're going to find yourself selling insurance.  That's twice.

15.  How'd you like to be standing across the field facing Bobby April right now?  Good luck with that.  Question for rules afficiandos: Are Lineman allowed to be downfield when the QB (in this case Moorman) has left of the pocket?  I've always thought they were.

180579[/snapback]

I give the post a 10, but deduct 3 points for your lack of Cowbell...final grade...7/10

Actually, I think Posey is doing well. They do need more depth behind the starters, but I have no problem with the 3 starters we have in there, other than Fletcher's coverage problems, which can be masked with a solid pass rush and better support from the safeties, which seems to be improving.

15.  How'd you like to be standing across the field facing Bobby April right now?  Good luck with that.  Question for rules afficiandos: Are Lineman allowed to be downfield when the QB (in this case Moorman) has left of the pocket?  I've always thought they were.

180579[/snapback]

I agree with the rest of it...100%

regarding this point....I said the same thing to my son (12 years old)...he quickly reminded me that it's just like a regular down and pass play...linemen can't be downfield. :blink:;)

Actually, I think Posey is doing well.  They do need more depth behind the starters, but I have no problem with the 3 starters we have in there, other than Fletcher's coverage problems, which can be masked with a solid pass rush and better support from the safeties, which seems to be improving.

180605[/snapback]

We'll agree to disagree on Posey. I'm not sure what we have behind them because they don't play alot. I'm impressed with Crowell's athleticism but he's certainly lacking experience. All three of the backups have been REALLY good on special teams, though I'm not sure what that means if they ever have to play for real.

Ummmm...Cliff Notes please. :blink:

There's something to complain about. Lechler in the Pro Bowl instead of Moorman? Ridiculous. I almost thought they set up that fake punt yesterday with the hopes of the pass being completed and Moorman getting some primetime props...maybe even some recognition for being snubbed.

180589[/snapback]

Not to take anything away from Moorman, who has been fantastic this year, and one of the Bills MVP's, but Lechler has had a great year, and the stats are very comparable.

Lechler has a longer gross (4 yards) and net (1 yard) average.

Lechler has 4less punts...

Lechler has 31 punts returned and Moorman has 35

Lechler has 21 inside the 20 and Moorman has 16

Lechler has 14 touchbacks and Moorman has 8

Lechler has 3 kicks out of bounds and Moorman has 9

Lechler has 10 downed and Moorman has 13

Lechler has 9 fair caught and Moorman has 6

Pretty even if you ask me. Certainly, Moorman has to deal with the weather, so I would give him an advantage. But it is not, as some would say, that Lechler just booms them and doesn't get punts inside the 20 or FC or downed, etc.

Not to take anything away from Moorman, who has been fantastic this year, and one of the Bills MVP's, but Lechler has had a great year, and the stats are very comparable.

Lechler has  31 punts returned and Moorman has 35

Lechler has  21 inside the 20 and Moorman has 16

Lechler has  3 kicks out of bounds and Moorman has 9

Lechler has  9 fair caught and Moorman has 6

Pretty even if you ask me. Certainly, Moorman has to deal with the weather, so I would give him an advantage. But it is not, as some would say, that Lechler just booms them and doesn't get punts inside the 20 or FC or downed, etc.

180627[/snapback]

All valid points. I think what Moorman does that I haven't seen Lechler do is see the whole field and make the plays when things break down or when he sees the opportunity.

Lechler has  31 punts returned and Moorman has 35

Lechler has  21 inside the 20 and Moorman has 16

Lechler has  3 kicks out of bounds and Moorman has 9

Lechler has  9 fair caught and Moorman has 6

180627[/snapback]

Lechler is a great punter but his net is less than a yard better than Moorman's and he has nearly TWICE as many touchbacks as Moorman despite having less punts. Moorman has been as good as any punter since Ray Guy, in my estimation. That's lofty company.

Right on about special teams. It seemed the Bills ran it back to midfield on every punt and kick return yesterday. Un-BILL-eivable.

Jerry Gray just signed an extension. If I team wanted to make him a head coach, would they have to give the Bills compensation?

Posey get's burned a few times, but he makes some plays too. I think the Bills are happy with him...so far.

Nice thoughts. Did it hurt?

;)