New England post Pioli

JPS

I was looking at past draft last night during the Sabres game and something made me smile. Other than trading away his best player in Richard Seymour for a future #1 (which turned out to be the great Ron Brace), the genius Belichick has done a few things that Pats fans must cry about: Other than Seymour, he traded the 23rd pick to Baltimore down 26 (Oher), then traded the 26th pick to Green Bay, which turned out to be Clay Matthews.

Can you imagine the Pats with Seymour and Matthews on that team? At least he got the likes of Terrence Wheatley, Taylor Price and Darius Butler.

I was looking at past draft last night during the Sabres game and something made me smile. Other than trading away his best player in Richard Seymour for a future #1 (which turned out to be the great Ron Brace), the genius Belichick has done a few things that Pats fans must cry about: Other than Seymour, he traded the 23rd pick to Baltimore down 26 (Oher), then traded the 26th pick to Green Bay, which turned out to be Clay Matthews.

Can you imagine the Pats with Seymour and Matthews on that team? At least he got the likes of Terrence Wheatley, Taylor Price and Darius Butler.

That would put them right in the SB.

Upon further review, I screwed up. The Oakland pick was used to pick up Nate Solder. Better than Ron Brace, but not as good as Seymour.

And I think the Pats would have strung a few titles together if Belichick stopped being cute on draft day and replaced Rodney Harrison, Bruschi, Vrabel, McGinest and Asante Samuel with decent talent. Instead, he has 4 picks in the top 2 rounds every year and an aging QB. The fact that they are in the Superbowl is all Brady.

no news here, patriots haven't been that great since pioli left and they stopped being allowed to video tape their opponents practices to know what plays were going to be run against them on sunday.

this is a bills message board, so the fear of the hoodie and the flying elvis is wildly.. WILDLY.. irrational.

they have:

a 35 year old quarterback who was banged up all last season and isn't getting any younger

no running back

a 5'8, white (not saying its important that he's white, but i am saying im glad we dont have any white wideouts) #1 receiver

wideouts playing in their secondary

no defensive line

a super-lethal, dangerous, unstoppable offense that relies on 2 tight ends running 7 yard patterns accross the middle of the field that was 1 lee evans drop/1 kundiff shank away from being unable to beat any teams that play above .500 football.

we were a stevie johnson benching away from sweeping them

half of the callers to sports radio (i live in new england) think belly is losing touch and has too much control

their drafts have been terrible since pioli left

they are THE shining example of why we should trade EVERY. SINGLE. PICK. for the next 5 years to get a quarterback.

you can make and win the superbowl in this league with a great qb and a good gameplan.

but other than those 2 factors working in their favor (both of which appear to be on the decline) we, collectively as bills fans, need to stop acting like we play in the same division as jesus christ and the apostles in cleats.

no news here, patriots haven't been that great since pioli left and they stopped being allowed to video tape their opponents practices to know what plays were going to be run against them on sunday.

this is a bills message board, so the fear of the hoodie and the flying elvis is wildly.. WILDLY.. irrational.

they have:

a 35 year old quarterback who was banged up all last season and isn't getting any younger

no running back

a 5'8, white (not saying its important that he's white, but i am saying im glad we dont have any white wideouts) #1 receiver

no defensive line

a super-lethal, dangerous, unstoppable offense that relies on 2 tight ends running 7 yard patterns accross the middle of the field that was 1 lee evans drop/1 kundiff shank away from being unable to beat any teams that play above .500 football.

half of the callers to sports radio (i live in new england) think belly is losing touch and has too much control

they are THE shining example of why we should trade EVERY. SINGLE. PICK. for the next 5 years to get a quarterback.

you can make and win the superbowl in this league with a great qb and a good gameplan.

but other than those 2 factors working in their favor (both of which appear to be on the decline) we, collectively as bills fans, need to stop acting like we play in the same division as jesus christ and the apostles in cleats.

So your solution to a team that has no depth is to trade every pick for 5 years for a qb? Im glad you dont work for the Bills

they have:

no running back

no defensive line

we were a stevie johnson benching away from sweeping themhalf of the callers to sports radio (i live in new england) think belly is losing touch and has too much control

Didnt we lose that game by about 25-30 points?

Edited by Deep2Moulds46

Along with some others, I wondered aloud on this board if the Pats were making good decisions when they signed Ochocinco and Seymour last year. Of course, we were attacked as football neophytes and worse for daring to second-guess the infallible Bill Belichck & company. Obviously, those indeed turned out to be missteps by the Pats and there have been others recently as well. You don't create the league's worse passing defense with consistently great personnel moves. I'm hoping the trend continues and their dynasty comes to a quick end. Could create a vacuum that the Bills then occupy.

Along with some others, I wondered aloud on this board if the Pats were making good decisions when they signed Ochocinco and Seymour last year. Of course, we were attacked as football neophytes and worse for daring to second-guess the infallible Bill Belichck & company. Obviously, those indeed turned out to be missteps by the Pats and there have been others recently as well. You don't create the league's worse passing defense with consistently great personnel moves. I'm hoping the trend continues and their dynasty comes to a quick end. Could create a vacuum that the Bills then occupy.

As Mr Weo stated earlier, they were in the SB this year. Has to be doing something right.

they traded Seymour because he was on the last year of his contract. They would not be able to sign both him and Wilfork plus a lot of other FAs they had that year. So they made a choice and traded Seymour. It is hard to rebuild when you are constantly drafting in the high twenties and thirty one. What BB has done is kept them competitive while slowly rebuilding the roster. Like al GMs some moves work out and others do not. tell me what Scott Pioli has done in 3 years with the Chiefs? They made it to the SB this year and of course the Bills went deep into the playoffs. (Opps my mistake)

they traded Seymour because he was on the last year of his contract. They would not be able to sign both him and Wilfork plus a lot of other FAs they had that year. So they made a choice and traded Seymour. It is hard to rebuild when you are constantly drafting in the high twenties and thirty one. What BB has done is kept them competitive while slowly rebuilding the roster. Like al GMs some moves work out and others do not. tell me what Scott Pioli has done in 3 years with the Chiefs? They made it to the SB this year and of course the Bills went deep into the playoffs. (Opps my mistake)

That team without Brady is the Colts without Manning. The day Brady retires, Belichick is a bad coach and a worse GM.

That team without Brady is the Colts without Manning. The day Brady retires, Belichick is a bad coach and a worse GM.

Except that the Pats went 11-5 with Matt Cassel at QB. But they did have a better defense that year. I guess the big question is how good will Ryan Mallet be, assuming he's the heir to Brady.

PTR

Except that the Pats went 11-5 with Matt Cassel at QB. But they did have a better defense that year. I guess the big question is how good will Ryan Mallet be, assuming he's the heir to Brady.

PTR

That team with Cassel was stacked. Moss, Welker, Defense was much better. Remember they went 16-0 the year before and rocked us 52-10

Upon further review, I screwed up. The Oakland pick was used to pick up Nate Solder. Better than Ron Brace, but not as good as Seymour.

And I think the Pats would have strung a few titles together if Belichick stopped being cute on draft day and replaced Rodney Harrison, Bruschi, Vrabel, McGinest and Asante Samuel with decent talent. Instead, he has 4 picks in the top 2 rounds every year and an aging QB. The fact that they are in the Superbowl is all Brady.

No team simply "replaces" their retired stars like that (see: Bills). And the guys who replaced them have been decent, by most definitions of the word.

Spikes is a decent LB. So is Chung (DB) at this point. Arrington had 7 ints this year. McCourty was a Pro Bowler in 2010, so was Mayo. Not bad. We should have drafted so poorly the last few years.

The past 2 pats SB losses turned on a total of 2 crazy good passes/catches by Eli Manning (and a drop by Welker this last one).

they have:

no running back

NE has won 64 or 80% of it's regular season games and appeared in 2 SBs since the beginning of '07.

That banged up QB passed for over 5200 yards and threw 39 TDs. That "white receiver" was the NFL's leading WR.

The worst passing defense belonged to the Packer--how have they drafted over the years?

Your wondering aloud about signing Ochocinco and Seymour unfortunately didn't prevent them from appearing in another SB (another "misstep"?).

Edited by Mr. WEO

they have:

no running back

no defensive line

As far as the white wr's go. There are two in this draft that I think are better than what we have other than #13. One from Va. Tech (Coales) and one from Fresno St (Wylie). I know you weren't insinuating race but.. I just wish you hadn't put the "W" word into the conversation. Beebe wasn't such a bad player as I recall.

that only tells a partial story.....it's Nate Solder AND $13 mil year in savings to spend on another player....like Vince Wilfork ($8 mil/yr)

Nate Solder 8/4/2011: Signed a four-year, $8,540,500 contract ($2.1 mil/yr).

Richard Seymour 2/16/2011: Signed a two-year, $30 million contract. The deal contains $15 million guaranteed -- all in the form of Seymour's first-year base salary ($15 mil/yr).