New England post Pioli

JPS

that only tells a partial story.....it's Nate Solder AND $13 mil year in savings to spend on another player....like Vince Wilfork ($8 mil/yr)

Nate Solder 8/4/2011: Signed a four-year, $8,540,500 contract ($2.1 mil/yr).

Richard Seymour 2/16/2011: Signed a two-year, $30 million contract. The deal contains $15 million guaranteed -- all in the form of Seymour's first-year base salary ($15 mil/yr).

I hear you. But I think the talent/cap could have been managed better. The Seymour contract is an Al Davis contract, so it's especially ridiculous. If BB would have signed Seymour to a long term contract at 6 per year, he might have been able to do it...but it came down to ego. Nobody puts Bill Belichick's feet to the fire. Samuel-gone. Seymour-same.

Along with some others, I wondered aloud on this board if the Pats were making good decisions when they signed Ochocinco and Seymour last year. Of course, we were attacked as football neophytes and worse for daring to second-guess the infallible Bill Belichck & company. Obviously, those indeed turned out to be missteps by the Pats and there have been others recently as well. You don't create the league's worse passing defense with consistently great personnel moves. I'm hoping the trend continues and their dynasty comes to a quick end. Could create a vacuum that the Bills then occupy.

Haynesworth!

Gesundheit!!!

As Mr Weo stated earlier, they were in the SB this year. Has to be doing something right.

Yeah, it's called planetary alignment… you could also call it a perfect storm.

I'm 100% with JPS and JohnnyGold here.

The Patriots were lucky to beat the Ravens and had they lost, they would have not beaten a single team with a winning record this year.

They almost got lucky and won their first Super Bowl since being exposed as the BEST CHEATERS OF ALL TIME.

But they lost.

Bottom line is that they wouldn't have won a Super Bowl except for the fact that they cheated.

Don't get me wrong. The Pats are still a great organization who have dominated our division forever. But I think history will show that Belichick was a bit too eager to win draft day and his unchallengeable ego prevented the Patriots from dominating Superbowls the way they should have. I just love that they traded out of the Clay Matthews pick and now they need a pass rusher.