Luke Kuechly at 10

He would be a great pick. We only have 3 Lbs that i would be comfortable having on the field. Those are NB KS and Morrison. You can bank on at least one of those getting hurt. Kuechly can play all 3 lb positions. I honestly think its going to come down to Floyd vs kuechly. Id be happy with either player.

I know there are a lot of people here who are talking up the Bills taking Floyd, but I'm almost certain that Buddy Nix would pick Stephen Hill over Floyd even at #10.

Hill had a great combine, a great pro day where Buddy was front and center in every frame, he's got Chan's serious Georgia Tech connections to understand why there was such low production there.

It would be risky due to the blowback from the critical media and fans calling it a "reach", but Hill has scary numbers and measurables and looks to be the perfect number 2 receiver compliment to SJ.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there are a lot of people here who are talking up the Bills taking Floyd, but I'm almost certain that Buddy Nix would pick Stephen Hill over Floyd even at #10.

Hill had a great combine, a great pro day where Buddy was front and center in every frame, he's got Chan's serious Georgia Tech connections to understand why there was such low production there.

It would be risky due to the blowback from the critical media and fans calling it a "reach", but Hill has scary numbers and measurables and looks to be the perfect number 2 receiver compliment to SJ.

I like Floyd better at 10, but - IF - Kuechly is gone by 10 AND we could trade down to the 15-20 range... Hill could be our pick...

He definitely could be the pick as he has the wheels and instincts to cover and make plays ,my only knock o him is he is not a killer, just a pull down tackler often down field.

But he actually tackles. Kill shots only count in New Orleans.

I think it's starting to look like Kuechly won't be there. Thomas Davis is coming off an injury in Carolina and I think Dan Connor is a UFA. It's a good fit.

But he actually tackles. Kill shots only count in New Orleans.

I think it's starting to look like Kuechly won't be there. Thomas Davis is coming off an injury in Carolina and I think Dan Connor is a UFA. It's a good fit.

I'm not talking about kill shots, I mean form tackling that drives the RBs and WRs back not pulling them down to gain 5 more yards.

Why is everyone assuming that Shep would get benched? The Bills wont take a LB if we cant start along with Shep and Barnett. Barnett easily moved outside, maybe they move Shep to SAM, or maybe the LB they draft they think can play SAM.

LBs are largely becoming obsolete in today's NFL, as on the majority of snaps, you're going to only have 1-2 LBs on the field. (with 4 DLs and 5-6 DBs) Given that we have Barnett and Sheppard, and that Scott is the Nickel LB, there's no point in wasting the #10 pick on an LB.

I agree with this statement. But I have warmed to the idea of taking a LB IF he is a three down player that could cover a Gronk or Hernandez. That is because Shep is not that LB, likely a career 2 down guy, and Barnett is older and wont be around for long.

Why is everyone assuming that Shep would get benched? The Bills wont take a LB if we cant start along with Shep and Barnett. Barnett easily moved outside, maybe they move Shep to SAM, or maybe the LB they draft they think can play SAM.

I agree with this statement. But I have warmed to the idea of taking a LB IF he is a three down player that could cover a Gronk or Hernandez. That is because Shep is not that LB, likely a career 2 down guy, and Barnett is older and wont be around for long.

Sheppard was drafted last year to be our run stuffer. His weaknesses are all pass-rush related...When it comes to tackling and stopping the run - it what he does best.

From Espn: The thing you have to like about Sheppard is that he can give you the physical play you need out of your inside linebacker and the athletic ability to make plays on the perimeter. He does a really nice job of playing downhill and filling in the hole.

From a couple other draft websites...

Pros

Good blend of size and speed, has good bulk, and accelerates well

Supreme awareness, instincts, and football IQ. Great leader on and off the field

Sure tackler, does a good job wrapping up an driving through ball carrier

Takes great angles to the football, always around the ball

Tremendous production, over 110 tackles past 2 years against top SEC Competition

NFL Ready, could start from day 1

Gets good depth in drop

Cons:

Not very physical, doesn't take on blockers well

Not strong at the point of attack, gets stonewalled against lineman

Offers next to nothing as a blitzer

Not overly explosive, looks a bit stiff at times

Needs to play with better pad level

Sheppard, who has been largely pegged as a third or fourth round pick on several draft boards, has ideal speed and play making ability from the inside linebacker position. The former LSU Tiger earned First Team All-SEC honors in 2010 and led his team in tackles for the second consecutive year.

At 6’2, 250, Sheppard doesn’t have an overwhelming physique, but plays fast and physical. In 2010, he racked up 116 tackles, 11 tackles for a loss, four sacks and two forced fumbles. Sheppard has a nose for the ball and is as sure an open-field tackler as there is in his draft class.

National Football League: NFL Draft 2011 - Kelvin Sheppard - NFL.com

"Buddy Nix has committed to adding talent to the Bills' defense through the draft. Sheppard is a tough, physical linebacker with instincts and awareness. He will push for playing time immediately at one of the inside linebacker spots and could be one of the hidden gems of the draft.

Instincts/Recognition: The unquestioned leader of one of the best defenses in the country. Made all the pre snap calls and got fellow teammates in the right position. Reads the run well and attacks the line of scrimmage with speed and aggressiveness. Also reads screen passes well, resulting in loss of yardage or minimal gain. LSU defensive coordinator, John Chavis, called Kelvin the most instinctive linebacker he has ever coached. Against teams that ran the option, had some issues finding the ball, which could leave him susceptible to play action at the next level. Also struggles some with misdirection plays. Does get out of control on occasion and over runs plays, allowing cut backs.

Strength/Toughness: At 6’1” 7/8 and 250 pounds, he has the ideal size for the inside linebacker position. Not afraid to get physical and stick his nose in there. Capable of delivering big hits and causing turnovers. Could benefit from more upper body strength, as he struggles to dislodge from bigger offensive linemen. Very experienced and durable during his college career, playing in 53 games. Plays the game with the fire and emotion you like to see from your signal caller.

Range vs Run: Does have issues shedding blocks against the bigger offensive linemen, but is not entirely overmatched. Has the speed to make plays from sideline-to-sideline and will also look to strip the ball from ball carriers. Uses his hands well to sift through traffic, locate the ball, and make tackles. ery stout on short yardage and goal line situations. Has trouble in space against quicker and shiftier backs and receivers. When pursuing ball carriers, needs to become more consistent with staying under control, eliminating cut backs and missed tackles. Does a nice job of keeping his feet while offensive linemen attempt cut blocks. Can make plays behind the line of scrimmage, accumulating 11 tackles for loss in 2010.

Tackling: Overall, does a good job of wrapping up, but will miss a tackle on occasion. Also takes himself out of position at times, causing him to miss tackles he should make. Does not shy away from contact and will “lay the wood” if a big hit presents itself.

3rd Down Capabilities: A little stiff in coverage, but not a liability by any means. Has the speed and athleticism to refine his coverage skills. Reads screen passes very well. Can cover backs out of the backfield. Does a decent job of covering tight ends over the middle and can use his speed to run with them down the seam. When playing zone, knows his responsibilities and keeps his head up when dropping into coverage. Should have no problem being a 3-down linebacker at the next level. Has also lined up at outside linebacker during his career. Doesn’t display dynamic blitzing abilities, but will get to the quarterback on occasion. ends to get swallowed up when blitzing up the middle. Over the years, h has gotten better at disguising and coming on a delayed blitz.

Intangibles: Three year starter at LSU. Team captain in 2010. First Team All-SEC in 2010. Played in 53 games, starting 30 of them. Ranks as the 9th leading tackler in school history with 311. Accumulated over 100 tackles as both a junior and senior. Graduated with a degree in General Studies. Played basketball and ran track in high school. Models his game after San Francisco Linebacker, Patrick Willis.

Overall Stock: Kelvin Sheppard has the size, speed, and athleticism to succeed as an NFL linebacker. He defends the run well and has the range to make plays from sideline-to-sideline. He may need to work on his coverage ability at the next level and learn to not just rely on his speed. Overall, a solid tackler, but does miss a few here and there because of over aggression and poor technique. Kelvin is versatile enough to play either the Middle Linebacker position or the Outside Linebacker position. Love that he plays with a little mean streak. He may not start as a rookie, but in time he could develop into a solid starter at either position. Until then he will be great special teams contributor. Kelvin should be scooped up at some point on Day 2 of the draft.

NFL Comparison: Nick Barnett

Kuechly has excellent coverage skills. Move him or Shep to SAM and we have a decent set of LBs. I love Barnett and I think Shep will turn into a solid player, but I don't think he's the anchor of our linebacking corps.

Kuechly can be great as all get out. but we have our future with Sheppard well cemented under Chix 's watch. He may not have thrilled anyone last season when we started him. But if you folks had read up on him last year you would surely think this guy can play soon and has huge upside if he learns to cover and tune up his skill with good coaching. Well he looked confused last year sometimes but he wasnt the only one :thumbdown: He also looked to me like he is going to become one heck of a backer.

Now that he has been moved to what i feel is his "natural" position we might really take notice of how good this kid will become.

Sooo..I dont see any need to upgrade or challenge this position> the kid is a leader already. ( "Supreme awareness, instincts, and football IQ. Great leader on and off the field" quote )and there is much more of course.

Now what i feel we do need is a MLB who can cover better than Shepp and spell him all the while developing just one step behind him and to complement Kelvinand the position. Kuechly sounds like the Perfect guy. but i hope we wait till 4a round 4b and get out our polishing tools. lotta good rough material from third on down.

and some very eye catching players in the second maybe.

Now if we were to draft Luke, we should expect him to replace in time Barnett and or Morrison. so if he has the versatilty to play the two outside positions and possible nickel and or TE's. well you can have my vote right now!

Edited by 3rdand12

I did post this in Pdaddy's Stephen Hill thread...

If Floyd is gone, BPAs are Kuechy & DeCastro. CB warrants a mention as well. When was the last time McGee finished a season, Ledois was benched for putrid play last year and is a FA. We brought in Stanford Routt earlier as well although he didn't sign. Kirkpatrick is coming in for visit and Stephon Gilmore who I liked at #41 seems to be hitting the first round in some mocks and has even moved above Kirkpatrick. Kirkpatrick isn't great at man coverage, which Wanny said we won't play much of. He has also been mentioned as a safety prospect. Chan & Buddy love players that can play multiple positions. Is the top LB or G worth taking over a CB? I could make a case for Kuechly over the CB. DeCastro is more difficult to justify (and yes he will be a exceptional player)

Last season in a pre-draft interview Buddy indicated they were drafting for depth last year and to stop the run. We grabbed starters in FA this season, who fix the pass rush. Buddy expects the playoffs and thought we had a 10 win team last season without the injuries. Gailey says we should compete for the division. It seems like this draft we may indeed be looking for immediate starters in the first few rounds.

This would be terrible. Nobody ever even heard of this guy until he ran a fast 40 at the combine. Some of you get so starry eyed over workout numbers. Floyd is immensely better. And he ran a 4.4. Not too shabby either.

This would be terrible. Nobody ever even heard of this guy until he ran a fast 40 at the combine. Some of you get so starry eyed over workout numbers. Floyd is immensely better. And he ran a 4.4. Not too shabby either.

"Yeah, but he's white, And when he makes a tackle 5-6+ yards down field, we can all yell "LUUUUUUUUUUUUKE!""

-disgruntled Pos fans

"Yeah, but he's white, And when he makes a tackle 5-6+ yards down field, we can all yell "LUUUUUUUUUUUUKE!""

-disgruntled Pos fans

rico, just b/c there aren't many puerto ricans playing in the NFL doesn't mean you have to be ripping on white LBs :thumbsup:

and i could be wrong, but the post that you quoted was not referring to Luke, rather stephen hill

rico, just b/c there aren't many puerto ricans playing in the NFL doesn't mean you have to be ripping on white LBs :thumbsup:

and i could be wrong, but the post that you quoted was not referring to Luke, rather stephen hill

:lol:

Looks like you are right, my bad.:D