Pennslyvnia Judge

DaveinElma

I would say that thinking about it further, yes the first amendment argument makes a little more sense. You could make a case that parading around dressed as Mohammad in front of a bunch of Muslims might be along the same lines as yelling fire in a crowded movie theater but I don't know what the demographic of the population of that town is.

Absolutely. Wait---what?

I just can't ever imagine a prosecutor in court, summing up his case in the closing arguments of "The People of NY v. Guy who yelled "fire!" I'n Crowded Theater" by saying:

"You know that as a result of the defendants actions, over 20 people were trampled trying to get out of that theater! What type of person does something like that? I mean, it's not unlike a fellow dressing up like a zombie Mohammed in Mechanicsburg, is it? Can you imagine? Zombie Mohammed? Mechanics burg???. I think we all know how THAT story would end...".

I think on this one, you have to just concede you typed a lot before you thought it through. It happens to the best of us.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely. Wait---what?

I just can't ever imagine a prosecutor in court, summing up his case in the closing arguments of "The People of NY v. Guy who yelled "fire!" I'n Crowded Theater" by saying:

"You know that as a result of the defendants actions, over 20 people were trampled trying to get out of that theater! What type of person does something like that? I mean, it's not unlike a fellow dressing up like a zombie Mohammed in Mechanicsburg, is it? Can you imagine? Zombie Mohammed? Mechanics burg???. I think we all know how THAT story would end...".

I think on this one, you have to just concede you typed a lot before you thought it through. It happens to the best of us.

That's what I did. I let my own personal bias in in my first post. Because the only thing I find more annoying than a militant christian is a militant atheist.

They were both stupid as hell. One for being such an asshat as to go out dressed as something he knew was going to cause a fight. The other for giving him what he was so obviously fishing for. The judge should have hit them both with a fine, or jail, or whatever the punishment would have been.

Yet if someone marched down the street as Zombie Jesus, your liberal ass would be clapping like a trained seal.

!@#$ing hypocrite.

Yet if someone marched down the street as Zombie Jesus, your liberal ass would be clapping like a trained seal.

!@#$ing hypocrite.

Setting aside the stupid judge, if you set out to be an offensive jerkoff, succeed in being an offensive jerkoff, and get punched in the face for being what you set out to be, you got what was coming to you.

Under the law, beating up offensive jerkoffs is not allowed but I'm OK with it.

Setting aside the stupid judge, if you set out to be an offensive jerkoff, succeed in being an offensive jerkoff, and get punched in the face for being what you set out to be, you got what was coming to you.

+1 on this

Very John Adams of you.

Sure you got what was coming to you, but the other guy should be charged.

Last I checked our legal system doesn't blame rape victims for dressing provocatively or blame assualt victims for walking in the wrong part of town. In these cases we don't justify the perpetrators actions because they are simply incapable of showing restraint. I am a big fan of common sense, but failing to exercise caution does not justify violence. I'm sure there were equally pissed off Catholics who did not appreciate the zombie papacy. Had someone assualted the undead pope do you think the ruling would have been the same?

Apparently the courts in Mechanicsburg believe that Muslim's are incapable of exercising self control when they feel insulted. Either that or they believe Sharia has precedence over U.S. law. Either way, I'm sure judge Chamberlain did the right thing by appeasing the man who is uncomfortable by the sight of the zombie prophet. If history is any indicator, then I am certain that this strategy will prevent a larger conflict down the road.

This whole freedom of speech phenomenon means you will occassionally come across certain views which you find insulting or even reprehensible. Thats the price of admission to participate in this global society. Our radical friends need to understand that. If they don't like our rules, too bad. No one is forcing them to come to the U.S.

Last I checked our legal system doesn't blame rape victims for dressing provocatively or blame assualt victims for walking in the wrong part of town. In these cases we don't justify the perpetrators actions because they are simply incapable of showing restraint. I am a big fan of common sense, but failing to exercise caution does not justify violence. I'm sure there were equally pissed off Catholics who did not appreciate the zombie papacy. Had someone assualted the undead pope do you think the ruling would have been the same?

Apparently the courts in Mechanicsburg believe that Muslim's are incapable of exercising self control when they feel insulted. Either that or they believe Sharia has precedence over U.S. law. Either way, I'm sure judge Chamberlain did the right thing by appeasing the man who is uncomfortable by the sight of the zombie prophet. If history is any indicator, then I am certain that this strategy will prevent a larger conflict down the road.

This whole freedom of speech phenomenon means you will occassionally come across certain views which you find insulting or even reprehensible. Thats the price of admission to participate in this global society. Our radical friends need to understand that. If they don't like our rules, too bad. No one is forcing them to come to the U.S.

That is an excellent post.

Who are you?

"I'm out to dress provactively" does not equate to "I am going to dress in a way that makes people's blood boil."

I agree with all of the above. But if you exercise your right to free speech by setting up a protest at my child's funeral, I will punch you in the face. And I'll face the consequences however they fall. This guy set out to anger people and succeeded. Sometimes you get punched for that. To me, there's a far cry between getting punched for being a douche in search of trouble and being beaten, shot, hand-cuffed, etc. for being a douche.

Edited by John Adams

"I'm out to dress provactively" does not equate to "I am going to dress in a way that makes people's blood boil."

Actually, it does. Dressing provocatively is a serious offense and punishable by law under Sharia.

I agree with all of the above. But if you exercise your right to free speech by setting up a protest at my child's funeral, I will punch you in the face. And I'll face the consequences however they fall. This guy set out to anger people and succeeded. Sometimes you get punched for that. To me, there's a far cry between getting punched for being a douche in search of trouble and being beaten, shot, hand-cuffed, etc. for being a douche.

Problem is, the assailant did not face the consequences and theres no indication that the victim set out to instigate. He didn't burst into Friday prayer dressed as Zombie Mohamed, he was dressed up on Halloween and doing nothing more than walking down a street. Prove to me that he was in search of trouble without going full circle and suggesting that dressing as Mohamed is searching for trouble because certain people are incapable of self control.

Edited by Jauronimo

Here is one to punch in the face:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-farrakhan-founders-day-20120227,0,7846023.story

You know what's funny?

I'm old enough to remember a neo-nazi march through Skokie, Illinios, where the do gooders argued that the scum had the right to march and that no harm should come to them because their right to march was protected by a faded document written by wrinkly men in the 18th century. I disliked the ratinale on a personal basis, but I accepted it as the

FRIGGIN LAW OF THIS LAND

What the F is wrong with you people? We didn't escape the crap of Europe only to have that crap follow us here.

You know what's funny?

I'm old enough to remember a neo-nazi march through Skokie, Illinios, where the do gooders argued that the scum had the right to march and that no harm should come to them because their right to march was protected by a faded document written by wrinkly men in the 18th century. I disliked the ratinale on a personal basis, but I accepted it as the

FRIGGIN LAW OF THIS LAND

What the F is wrong with you people? We didn't escape the crap of Europe only to have that crap follow us here.

:thumbsup: