Pennslyvnia Judge

DaveinElma

http://news.yahoo.com/penn-judge-muslims-allowed-attack-people-insulting-mohammad-210000330.html

The incident occurred at the Mechanicsburg, Pa., Halloween parade where Ernie Perce, an atheist activist, marched as a zombie Muhammad. Talaag Elbayomy, a Muslim, attacked Perce, and he was arrested by police.

Judge Martin threw the case out on the grounds that Elbayomy was obligated to attack Perce because of his culture and religion. Judge Martin stated that the First Amendment of the Constitution does not permit people to provoke other people. He also called Perce, the plaintiff in the case, a "doofus." In effect, Perce was the perpetrator of the assault, in Judge Martin's view, and Elbayomy the innocent. The Sharia law that the Muslim attacker followed trumped the First Amendment.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were both stupid as hell. One for being such an asshat as to go out dressed as something he knew was going to cause a fight. The other for giving him what he was so obviously fishing for. The judge should have hit them both with a fine, or jail, or whatever the punishment would have been.

Edited by Bigfatbillsfan

They were both stupid as hell. One for being such an asshat as to go out dressed as something he knew was going to cause a fight. The other for giving him what he was so obviously fishing for. The judge should have hit them both with a fine, or jail, or whatever the punishment would have been.

Um, no.

While it might be stupid to dress as something that might offend someone on Halloween, it certainly isn't grounds for being punished or assaulted. You know there are a lot of wing nuts offended by Halloween costumes and Halloween in general. I suppose we should honor their feelings by slapping fines on some little kid dressed as Jar Jar Binks (OK bad example; that kid and his parents should both be fined in that case).

There's no law against being "stupid as hell"

Only one was charged with assualt and he was excused by the judge.

They don't matter anyway.........its the judges actions and his very revealing rant at the victim that I would encourage everyone here to read.

The Sharia Court of Pennsylvania — the Transcript

Judge tosses charge against Muslim who allegedly attacked atheist for mocking Mohammed

So, you are for usurping the Constitution?

There's no law against being "stupid as hell"

Only one was charged with assualt and he was excused by the judge.

They don't matter anyway.........its the judges actions and his very revealing rant at the victim that I would encourage everyone here to read.

The Sharia Court of Pennsylvania — the Transcript

Judge tosses charge against Muslim who allegedly attacked atheist for mocking Mohammed

Yeah, that's pretty stupid. Hopefully the judge wont be on the bench for long.

So I guess the judge would be willing to someone off it they attack him provided the attacker's religion says that people dressing up as judges insults his religion.

I think if you want to cause a fight, you dress up as zombie Mohammed and go to Riyadh, not Mechanicsburg.

And the judge is a knucklehead. He threw out the charges to make a point that the First Amendment doesn't cover insulting behavior. Uh...yes, it does. Doesn't make it right, but the First Amendment doesn't cover the freedom of "polite" speech.

So, BFBF you changed your mind?

I would say that thinking about it further, yes the first amendment argument makes a little more sense. You could make a case that parading around dressed as Mohammad in front of a bunch of Muslims might be along the same lines as yelling fire in a crowded movie theater but I don't know what the demographic of the population of that town is.

I would say that thinking about it further, yes the first amendment argument makes a little more sense. You could make a case that parading around dressed as Mohammad in front of a bunch of Muslims might be along the same lines as yelling fire in a crowded movie theater but I don't know what the demographic of the population of that town is.

I'm thinking mostly American.

You can stretch that logic to say that firebombing an abortion clinic is protected under freedom of religion, because abortion clinics offend fundamentalist Christians.

Did the judge also apologize to the defendant?

Yes, but the President, Secretary of State and numerous generals beat him to it. In the meantime President Karzai made no comments about the 6 days of attacks on NATO forces and the numerous deaths because some Qurans were burned because they were being used as message boards for prisoners. From my understanding, writing in a Quran is forbidden and the way to properly destroy one is to burn it. Oh well, hypocrisy is rampart everywhere I guess. THe 911 perps certainly had their fun time in the strip clubs, but I guess Kandi never took off her Burka and she was a relative.

From my understanding, writing in a Quran is forbidden and the way to properly destroy one is to burn it.

I realize this is being nitpicky, but I think this is incorrect. I think burial is the preferred method, although I'm pretty sure the Quran doesn't provide any explicit instructions to that point.

I realize this is being nitpicky, but I think this is incorrect. I think burial is the preferred method, although I'm pretty sure the Quran doesn't provide any explicit instructions to that point.

I had heard somewhere that burning it was the proper disposal, but I just googled Quran/disposal and got a bunch of sites wanting to kill infidels. I guess it's my bad. Please don't take me to court in Mechanicsburg. I might have to plead out to avoid having my tongue cut off.

Edited by 3rdnlng