Peters , Wilson ----- Mckelvin ????

T master

Sitting around bored , trying to find anything up beat to read about the Bills , besides the downer that Stevie J more than likely will not be coming back b/c he will greed himself right off the team . I started day dreaming another dream that has happened for the bills in another capacity , then i thought what if we reversed it ???? Offense to Defense ---- Defense to Offense --- HMMM <_< ??

We are more than likely going to lose Stevie as i said b/c he wants top dollar & Nix is reasonable but not stupid .. If they pay what SJ wants i don't believe there will be much left for other FA or draftee's , so i for one think he's gone .. Another one i think is gone is Roscoe P . b/c of his injury status .. His first year with the team in 05 he started out hurt & has just went from there , but we need a speed guy to take his place either by draft OR by experiment ??? (it's worked before)

IN steps the experiment !! A few years back we took a WR & a TE & turned them into pro bowl caliber players at different positions , that being G Wilson & J Peters .. We have a DB that has great speed but can't cover real well but may be able to turn his fate & use what he knows about covering to get open on the other side of the ball , & in comparison to RP could take Roscoes place & possibly (& i did say possibly) do well ??

Stick with me -- Roscoe is 5' 9" tall 175 lbs ran a 4.4 in his pro day before the draft & b/c of his size, it could be part of the reason why he is always hurt . But he was one of the best punt & kick returners we have had on the team for a long time ..

Comparison = Leodis Mckelvin is 5' 10" tall & 186 lbs (10 lbs heavier) ran a 4.3 in his pro day before the draft , has less of a injury history & we know the guy can run back Punt's & kick off's .. Beside the New England deal his return record isn't that bad , as we were reintroduced to for a bit of last year .

So if the Bills did the change with Peters & Wilson why not Mckelvin ?? It would be worth a try to see if he could be the speed guy on the outside rather than another 1st round pick going bust on us , he could take Roscoes place one less draft pick used on a WR , one less 1st round bust !! And too he is about the same size & is as fast as Lee Evans , If he has good hands (which he does have 5 INT's) & we know he can make people miss in the open field due to his return abilities , you never know he could be the missing link in Chan's offense that we have been looking for ??

OK remember it's just day dreaming but go ahead & start the ridicule Bills fans !!!!

Edited by T master

I say why not.. Look the idea behind drafting is to get starters in your 1st, and 2nd rounds for sure. That means taking the best "sure thing" available at that slot. To me that means taking a guy that you don't **need** but is an upgrade, and making things happen either in FA or by switching roles for the positons you do need. I like the OP's idea, but it sounds a lot better on paper than it probably would in practice.

Tim-

Apples and Oranges. Wilson and Peters where both undrafted free agents...meaning that the bills had very little invested in them so they could sit bench and learn the position and they both spent time on the practice squad. This is not going to happen to a first round draft pick, nobody is going to pay McKevin's first round pick salry for a #4 or 5 project reciever

McKelvin has terrible ball skills. IRRC that was the big knock on him coming out of school. Somehow i don't think his skills have improved

Not a terrible idea but it makes more sense to do something like this early in their career

I could see him running a route on O, fogetting he was a receiver, and the balling hitting him in the head or something.

Sitting around bored , trying to find anything up beat to read about the Bills , besides the downer that Stevie J more than likely will not be coming back b/c he will greed himself right off the team . I started day dreaming another dream that has happened for the bills in another capacity , then i thought what if we reversed it ???? Offense to Defense ---- Defense to Offense --- HMMM <_< ??

We are more than likely going to lose Stevie as i said b/c he wants top dollar & Nix is reasonable but not stupid .. If they pay what SJ wants i don't believe there will be much left for other FA or draftee's , so i for one think he's gone .. Another one i think is gone is Roscoe P . b/c of his injury status .. His first year with the team in 05 he started out hurt & has just went from there , but we need a speed guy to take his place either by edraft OR by experiment ??? (it's worked before)

t

This is what teams do in order to win- clean out the dead wood and replace it with talent and ability, the kind that wins, no excuses. Johnson, Parrish, McKelvin, let them all go... we can do better than these players, despite the noise from some.

t

This is what teams do in order to win- clean out the dead wood and replace it with talent and ability, the kind that wins, no excuses. Johnson, Parrish, McKelvin, let them all go... we can do better than these players, despite the noise from some.

So then what you are saying is that they should have never took the chance of changing Peters or Wilson , they should have just cut them & paid to get others in their place ??????

I was just saying seeing as Mckelvin is in the last year of his rookie contract & is probably making league minimum this year coupled with the fact that after this year (unless he makes a huge jump in the return game) he will probably be gone .. Wouldn't it make more sense to at least try rather than just give up in true bills fans fashion ??????

And this goes for the other guy that said it would never happen with a 1st rounder -- why not again possibly make something out of the guy , or at least try to get some potential out of a 1st round pick in another capacity rather than just letting him go & getting nothing but wasted time & money for the effort ??

It sounds like you all have a old school mentality to Bills football & should upgrade your train of thought , the guy is only like mid 20's & you all would rather see him move to another team & come back & help kick our butts rather than just check out a POSSIBILITY -- Go Figure !!!!!

Edited by T master

besides the downer that Stevie J more than likely will not be coming back b/c he will greed himself right off the team .

You lost me right there. It is a business first, for the players as well as the owners. You say "greed himself right off the team" like it's a bad thing. Thinking with the homer switch in the off position for just a minute, he would be nuts not to explore every option at this point. If the Bills wanted to avoid that, they could have put a tempting offer out during the season like they did for the Amish rifle. But the way it sits now, I see it potentially as (assuming he gets offers other than from the Bills):

1) Take an offer from another team and play in a bigger market, for at least the same (if not more) money, on a team that has a decent chance of going deep into the playoffs next season, in a city that has outstanding nightlife (not that Johnson likes to party or anything ;) ).

-- or --

2) Take an offer from Buffalo and ... play for the Bills.

It isn't greeding himself off the team, it is not being an idiot homer about his business decision.

I hope he ends up on the Bills, but to blame him if he does not is just plain being silly.

The Bills could still drop the franchise (toe)tag on him. But that keeps him for what, one rebuilding year longer?

Edited by CodeMonkey

How is SJ getting max dollars for his best shot at setting him up for life greed? Would you turn down extra money to play for this losing franchise? Players take less to win or play with other superstars. We have no superstars. If SJ walks it is on Nix for not getting a contract done in training camp last year.

You lost me right there. It is a business first, for the players as well as the owners. You say "greed himself right off the team" like it's a bad thing. Thinking with the homer switch in the off position for just a minute, he would be nuts not to explore every option at this point. If the Bills wanted to avoid that, they could have put a tempting offer out during the season like they did for the Amish rifle. But the way it sits now, I see it potentially as (assuming he gets offers other than from the Bills):

1) Take an offer from another team and play in a bigger market, for at least the same (if not more) money, on a team that has a decent chance of going deep into the playoffs next season, in a city that has outstanding nightlife (not that Johnson likes to party or anything ;) ).

-- or --

2) Take an offer from Buffalo and ... play for the Bills.

It isn't greeding himself off the team, it is not being an idiot homer about his business decision.

I hope he ends up on the Bills, but to blame him if he does not is just plain being silly.

The Bills could still drop the franchise (toe)tag on him. But that keeps him for what, one rebuilding year longer?

It's definitely a business and you've got to take care of yourself because you know ownership will do the same in each and every case. And coming off their rookie contracts is usually the only big chance for most players to hit that big payday so I don't fault Johnson one bit. Most players are out of the league or playing for close to the veteran minimum after 9 or 10 seasons (if they last that long). The Bills could have choosen to negotiate and discuss a contract well before this point but did not, something they seem to do all too often with players that have good open market value.

I'm not real clear on where an 'outstanding nightlife' falls in the priorty of things though but I agree playing for a team with championship potential has to be a priority when you consider and weigh offers.

McKelvin has terrible ball skills. IRRC that was the big knock on him coming out of school. Somehow i don't think his skills have improved

Not a terrible idea but it makes more sense to do something like this early in their career

This...

I think he had 2 picks in college and it was a point of emphasis that he couldn't catch during the draft.

I'm not real clear on where an 'outstanding nightlife' falls in the priorty of things though but I agree playing for a team with championship potential has to be a priority when you consider and weigh offers.

Oh well below the other things to be sure. But if you were a 25 year old single millionaire and all other things being equal, would you choose to live in say Miami or Buffalo :)