More Good Economic News

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/jobless-claims-drop-near-4-133321128.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The number of Americans filing for new unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell to a near four-year low last week, suggesting the labor market recovery was quickening.

Other data on Thursday showing solid expansion in factory activity in the Mid-Atlantic area this month and builders breaking more ground on new residential projects in January offered more evidence of a sustained momentum in the economy.

Oh ya! :thumbsup:

Remember though. This isn't real. It's all just a conspiracy by the MSM to make Obama look better If we were to take the number of people who did file for unemployment, divide it by the Number of jobs lost + loss of GDP - Romney's IQ and carry the 4 you'll find out that more people left the work force this past month so the fact that the economy produced more jobs is bunk.

Remember though. This isn't real. It's all just a conspiracy by the MSM to make Obama look better If we were to take the number of people who did file for unemployment, divide it by the Number of jobs lost + loss of GDP - Romney's IQ and carry the 4 you'll find out that more people left the work force this past month so the fact that the economy produced more jobs is bunk.

Wow! I refrained, but I guess this proves it, you're DiN²

Ha ha! You forgot the government has fixed the numbers

It should also be noted that Government, I mean General Motors, had a record profitable year and their stock shot up eight percent today. All lies, of course, but there it is

Most of the economic data is massaged, unemployment, inflation, GDP, etc etc, it didn't start with Obama and it's not just the U.S. and not it's not just government figures as there have been an increasing number of restatement of earnings for American S&P 1500 companies.

CBO: Longest Period of High Unemployment Since Great Depression

CBO: U.S. enduring the longest period of high unemployment since the Great Depression

By Alex M. Parker

February 16, 2012 RSS Feed Print

After three years with unemployment topping 8 percent, the U.S. has seen the longest period of high unemployment since the Great Depression, the Congressional Budget Office noted in a report issued today.

And, despite some recent good news on the economic front, the CBO is still predicting that unemployment will remain above 8 percent until 2014. The report also notes that, including those who haven't sought work in the past four weeks and those who are working part-time but seeking full-time employment, the unemployment rate would be 15 percent.

The CBO made its comments in a report examining the long-term effects of joblessness, and possible policy options to boost employment, including unemployment insurance reforms and job training programs. The report came at the request of Democratic Michigan Rep. Sander Levin, but Republicans quickly jumped on the chance to bash President Obama's stimulus program, which is also reaching its three-year anniversary today.

And if you count all the discouraged workers, not just the ones that they noted over the past 4 weeks, but all of them. REAL UNEMPLOYMENT is at a whopping 23%

But yeah you're right, it's all a conspiracy.

Don't you care to know the truth? Or does the koolaid taste too good?

Look at it man! Look at it! Even since the bounce in jobs that we have been experiencing, which is an improvement, you will see that the REAL UNEMPLOYMENT rate hasn't dropped at all!

Seek the truth man!

Edited by Magox

And if you count all the discouraged workers, not just the ones that they noted over the past 4 weeks, but all of them. REAL UNEMPLOYMENT is at a whopping 23%

But yeah you're right, it's all a conspiracy.

Don't you care to know the truth? Or does the koolaid taste too good?

Look at it man! Look at it! Even since the bounce in jobs that we have been experiencing, which is an improvement, you will see that the REAL UNEMPLOYMENT rate hasn't dropped at all!

Seek the truth man!

Yes, and if Romney was President it would be 2% <_<

Whatever

Ha ha! You forgot the government has fixed the numbers

It should also be noted that Government, I mean General Motors, had a record profitable year and their stock shot up eight percent today. All lies, of course, but there it is

You forgot the most commonly used shallow response.

Everything bad that has occurred over the past three years is due to President Bush and not President Obama.

Therefore when the unemployment figures and other economic indicators all went south even after the great "stimulus" mirage, that was because of the previous administration

When the U.S. economy remained stagnant over the next two years (Even though the regular recovery cycle after a recession had come and passed)it was because Mr. Obama hadn't truly realized how bad President Bush had left it.

Now, almost two years passed when our recovery should have began, we are finally (and obliviously to the liberals),inevitably starting an anemic growth period.

This is a testament to the (hamstrung) U.S. capitalistic engine................we can always come back

I can only pray that the Obama campaign (along with its willing media)delude themselves and try and run on his economic record.

You forgot the most commonly used shallow response.

Everything bad that has occurred over the past three years is due to President Bush and not President Obama.

Therefore when the unemployment figures and other economic indicators all went south even after the great "stimulus" mirage, that was because of the previous administration

When the U.S. economy remained stagnant over the next two years (Even though the regular recovery cycle after a recession had come and passed)it was because Mr. Obama hadn't truly realized how bad President Bush had left it.

Now, almost two years passed when our recovery should have began, we are finally (and obliviously to the liberals),inevitably starting an anemic growth period.

This is a testament to the (hamstrung) U.S. capitalistic engine................we can always come back

I can only pray that the Obama campaign (along with its willing media)delude themselves and try and run on his economic record.

The American public has, at best, a three-month memory. The only economic numbers that will matter will be the ones from August to October.

When the U.S. economy remained stagnant over the next two years (Even though the regular recovery cycle after a recession had come and passed)i

Ignorance! The Bush financial crash was much deeper and more severe than any "recession" we have experienced since the 1930's. Housing prices would not have recovered any faster if we went free market wild after 2008, no way. This is taking longer because it was so much more severe

The American public has, at best, a three-month memory. The only economic numbers that will matter will be the ones from August to October.

That is the common misconception Tom, but I respectfully disagree with you.

Certainly the 3 months you mentioned will be very important, but there are millions of people out there whose lives have been (shall we say) made worse by government policies since 2008 and they have loooooooonnng memories.

Mr Obama ran on the anti-Bush sentiment before, he has no such luxury this time.

Ignorance! The Bush financial crash was much deeper and more severe than any "recession" we have experienced since the 1930's. Housing prices would not have recovered any faster if we went free market wild after 2008, no way. This is taking longer because it was so much more severe

You are incorrect.

Certainly the 3 months you mentioned will be very important, but there are millions of people out there whose lives have been (shall we say) made worse by government policies since 2008 and they have loooooooonnng memories.

Mr Obama ran on the anti-Bush sentiment before, he has no such luxury this time.

Without looking it up...what were some of November's economic numbers?

Without looking it up...what were some of November's economic numbers?

I'm sorry, I am not sure.............are you referring to last November? or the November of the last election?

Unemployment has risen from around 5.8% in Nov. 2008, nand likewise fallen from around 9% last November.

I don't have the stats, but the most important number, and therefore the most ignored by the media, is that the actual number of working Americans has fallen to around 63%, lowest in 30 years.

How long did the Great Depression last?

Picture for Davey

I'm sorry, I am not sure.............are you referring to last November? or the November of the last election?

Unemployment has risen from around 5.8% in Nov. 2008, nand likewise fallen from around 9% last November.

I don't have the stats, but the most important number, and therefore the most ignored by the media, is that the actual number of working Americans has fallen to around 63%, lowest in 30 years.

Exactly, you have no idea what you are talking about

It lasted until the buildup for WWII. Although FDR's policies helped some people out and did create some beneficial infrastucture gains it took close to a decade to get enough people to work. (that was more Adolf's and the Emperor's work)Obama is following the same policies without putting the money towards worthy policies. Instead TVA and the dams he gives your's and my money to unions. How do you feel now, with all that cream on your face and the old a-hole not even getting any k-y for the last 3+ years?

It lasted until the buildup for WWII. Although FDR's policies helped some people out and did create some beneficial infrastucture gains it took close to a decade to get enough people to work. (that was more Adolf's and the Emperor's work)Obama is following the same policies without putting the money towards worthy policies. Instead TVA and the dams he gives your's and my money to unions. How do you feel now, with all that cream on your face and the old a-hole not even getting any k-y for the last 3+ years?

Hoover was president for over 3 years of the Depression, that goes way over the limit of what B says these things should last.

And the depression of the 1890s saw well over six years of unemployment at higher than 8%

http://eh.net/encyclopedia/article/whitten.panic.1893

Also, are you suggesting e should go on a WW2 level of stimulus spending spree?

I actually agree with DC, people do have short memories, look at how peoples perception of the economy has unfolded just over the last few months. Obamas approval ratings has hit 50% on a few different polls recently, the right or wrong way indicator albeit still overwhelmingly negative as began to trend higher, plus I can feel it, I can sense a bounce in perception, and this has all happened over the past few months.

Or how about the McCain campaign, he was actually leading in a few polls, but once the economy really went down the tubes and the market began to crash, so did his campaign.

And DiN, where did I say that if under Romney it would be at 2% or for that matter anything that could be misconstrued that way? I'll tell you, nowhere. What I have CONSISTENTLY said over and over is with a president who actually has a basic understanding of the free market economy, that with less regulations, a more pro business relationship with the business community, more dealings with our Emerging market partners and corporate tax reform, that the recovery would be better than this anemic piece of **** of an economy that we have today. I mean for crying out loud, we are growing at 2.5% GDP, that would even suck if we had already recovered. Considering the depth of the hole we are inright now, we should be experiencing much better growth than we are 3 years into the recovery.

Remember that Small business Gallup poll I posted yesterday? HALF of all small businesses cite Overregulation. Remember how I spoke to you about that, and how that was a major deterrent for growth? Remember how you scoffed at it? Well it's right there, and as the president says correctly, "Small businesses are the engine of this economy" Well the engine is sputtering and they are specifically stating overregulation, AND 85% say they don't plan on hiring at all over the next 12 months.

Sorry DiN, we can do better than this.

Hoover was president for over 3 years of the Depression, that goes way over the limit of what B says these things should last.

And the depression of the 1890s saw well over six years of unemployment at higher than 8%

I didn't even have to scent the bait. The guy that is a heartbeat away from the presidency said this:

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/j/joebiden409178.html

Is the old hole you were hiding in going to still be sufficient?

I know its a waste of time, but what the hell, I've got a few to waste.....lol

I'll use small sentences for you.

You gave examples of 2 Depressions

We, were in a Recession...........psssst, they're not the same thing.

Our latest Recession ended (per U.S. Government stats) in June of 2009.

There are many historical references that show how long it takes for us to recover from a recession , we are now in a prolonged recovery.

The current administration's economic efforts have had little effect, and perhaps even lengthened our return.

There are many historical references that show how long it takes for us to recover from a recession , we are now in a prolonged recovery.

The current administration's economic efforts have had little effect, and perhaps even lengthened our return.

You sure are wasting time with your total ignorance. Tell us, jack ass, what actions Obama could have taken that would have created more employment. You say he "perhaps" lengthened the situation, I'd love to hear how that is so. Come on, let's hear.

You do realize--ya right--that the government's built in institutions--new deal era--and deficits kept this recession as a recession, instead of a depression? Or should the government have fought deficits with more budget cuts? I'll just leave it there, you made some stupid assertions, I'm calling you on it, let's

All recessions are the same- this message is brought to you by the letters V, W, U, and L

And DiN, where did I say that if under Romney it would be at 2% or for that matter anything that could be misconstrued that way? I'll tell you, nowhere. What I have CONSISTENTLY said over and over is with a president who actually has a basic understanding of the free market economy, that with less regulations, a more pro business relationship with the business community, more dealings with our Emerging market partners and corporate tax reform, that the recovery would be better than this anemic piece of **** of an economy that we have today. I mean for crying out loud, we are growing at 2.5% GDP, that would even suck if we had already recovered. Considering the depth of the hole we are inright now, we should be experiencing much better growth than we are 3 years into the

So, Obama should be doing much better than the Bush years? :unsure:

Bush didn't have the housing crisis to deal with, yet Obama is suppose to do way better? Come on Mr Objective!

You sure are wasting time with your total ignorance. Tell us, jack ass, what actions Obama could have taken that would have created more employment. You say he "perhaps" lengthened the situation, I'd love to hear how that is so. Come on, let's hear.

You do realize--ya right--that the government's built in institutions--new deal era--and deficits kept this recession as a recession, instead of a depression? Or should the government have fought deficits with more budget cuts? I'll just leave it there, you made some stupid assertions, I'm calling you on it, let's

Well, if you are still alive after drinking all those gallons of obama cream then maybe you would understand that if he wasn't the most business unfriendly president that I know of, maybe we would be doing better.

I didn't even have to scent the bait. The guy that is a heartbeat away from the presidency said this:

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/j/joebiden409178.html

Is the old hole you were hiding in going to still be sufficient?

What the hell does a Joe Biden quote have to do with the length of the Great Depression?

What the hell does a Joe Biden quote have to do with the length of the Great Depression?

A little more sense as you and your twin Dave make on a daily basis. Joe Biden was an Obama decision. If he's capable of a decision like that, what makes you think his other decisions won't be all !@#$ed up? I'm getting to understand why OC and DC are the way they are-----dealing with idiots like you.

Gas prices are up = it's Obama's fault

The US is slowly recovering from a financial nose dive = it's Obama's fault.

An unseasonably warm winter = it's Obama's fault

Revolts in the Middle East = it's Obama's fault

A morman, a gnewt and a santorum... = it's Obama's fault

(I thought Republicans were all supposed to be good christians.)

Osama is dead = it's Obama's fault

The Iraq war is over = it's Obama's fault

Gas prices are up = it's Obama's fault

The US is slowly recovering from a financial nose dive = it's Obama's fault.

An unseasonably warm winter = it's Obama's fault

Revolts in the Middle East = it's Obama's fault

A morman, a gnewt and a santorum... = it's Obama's fault

(I thought Republicans were all supposed to be good christians.)

Osama is dead = it's Obama's fault

The Iraq war is over = it's Obama's fault

Your use of exaggeration to try and make a point falls hopelessly flat

There are many things that are due to this president's poor management skills....there are many that are not.

People will continue to point out the things that are.

You do give yourself , and your mindset, away with your......"I thought all Republicans were supposed to be good Christians"

there are millions of people out there whose lives have been (shall we say) made worse by government policies since 2008 and they have loooooooonnng memories.

Fixed.

The majority of those people are too stupid to realize it because Obama has driven us another $5T in debt handing out cash to those people (and his buddies). Therefore, most of them will vote for him again. More Obama = More food stamps for me!!

I think the "Obama saved us from another Great Depression!" is my favorite talking point of the last 3 years. It's even better than quoting the # of jobs "created or saved".

The only reason why it wasn't depression is because Congress acted quickly to inject money into the economy. Rather than take the Hoover approach and do nothing say prosperity is right around the corner. We see how well that approach worked.

A little more sense as you and your twin Dave make on a daily basis. Joe Biden was an Obama decision. If he's capable of a decision like that, what makes you think his other decisions won't be all !@#$ed up? I'm getting to understand why OC and DC are the way they are-----dealing with idiots like you.

Using a quote by the vice president to prove how stupid the president is is quite the stretch. With the slow recovery of the economy you guys are having a harder and harder time to find things to blame on the dems. Crap like this post is proof of that.

“The rate of unemployment in the United States has exceeded 8 percent since February 2009, making the past three years the longest stretch of high unemployment in this country since the Great Depression. Moreover, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) projects that the unemployment rate will remain above 8 percent until 2014. The official unemployment rate excludes those individuals who would like to work but have not searched for a job in the past four weeks as well as those who are working part-time but would prefer full-time work; if those people were counted among the unemployed, the unemployment rate in January 2012 would have been about 15 percent. Compounding the problem of high unemployment, the share of unemployed people looking for work for more than six months—referred to as the long-term unemployed—topped 40 percent in December 2009 for the first time since 1948, when such data began to be collected; it has remained above that level ever since.”

Obama sucks. It's impossible for him to help a free market economy because he's a socialist. Any improvement at all has nothing to do with this incompetent schmuck. Community organizer/instigator with the keys to the car. What a joke.

The only reason why it wasn't depression is because Congress acted quickly to inject money into the economy. Rather than take the Hoover approach and do nothing say prosperity is right around the corner. We see how well that approach worked.

:lol:

The House actually tried to throw the economy under the bus because Pelosi's a B word and the Republicans are spoiled children. The Senate and Bush acted quickly, though.

:lol:

The House actually tried to throw the economy under the bus because Pelosi's a B word and the Republicans are spoiled children. The Senate and Bush acted quickly, though.

I would argue that the Federal Reserves action from my perspective was the true hero of the day.

He could have waited on tackling healthcare reform until a meaningful recovery had taken hold. Instead he saw that he had the political clout to make it happen and rammed it home at the worst possible time. There's your suspect number 1 as to why the term "jobless recovery" has entered the lexicon.

The Housing bubble and market crash = Bush's fault

TARP w/o asking for repayment FAILURE = Bush's fault

TARP with repayment Semi successful = Obabams fault

Slow recovery with a closed minded politicians in Congress = not Obama's fault.

That's one great big massive load of ignorant horseshit.