Schefter tweet

Kevin

"SF knows where it needs help: 49ers expected to pursue a free-agent WR and use one of their top draft picks on another WR."

That was a tweet from Adam Schefter earlier in the day. I wonder what this means for the Bills and Stevie. Looks like the Bills may have some competition. Possible home town discount?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"SF knows where it needs help: 49ers expected to pursue a free-agent WR and use one of their top draft picks on another WR."

That was a tweet from Adam Schefter earlier in the day. I wonder what this means for the Bills and Stevie. Looks like the Bills may have some competition. Possible home town discount?

That could easily apply to about a dozen teams, and a dozen big FA wideouts.

Maybe. If they wanted to pay him that much wouldn't they have already worked out a deal? If they tag him it will be to trade him. Either way I doubt he plays another game for the Bills. Maybe I'm wrong.

Stevie has repeatedly and publicly stated he wants to remain in Buffalo. Chan and Nix have said that Stevie is a guy they want to have on their team. What makes you think he won't be back?

What other teams with notable free agents have resigned them to new contracts already?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Bills say they weren't going to franchise him? I just saw that tweet and thought immediately that they (SF) were going to target Stevie because he is a local guy. I hope he stays in Buffalo, but it seems to me that in this case no news is BAD news (for those of us that still want him in a Bills uniform).

Edited by Kevin

Stevie has repeatedly and publicly stated he wants to remain in Buffalo. Chan and Nix have said that Stevie is a guy they want to have on their team. What makes you think he won't be back?

What other teams with notable free agents have resigned them to new contracts already?

Are you 10?

You believe what people say to the Media?

If the Bills wanted him, he would be signed by now.

Stevie is gone.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Bills say they weren't going to franchise him? I just saw that tweet and thought immediately that they (SF) were going to target Stevie because he is a local guy. I hope he stays in Buffalo, but it seems to me that in this case no news is BAD news (for those of us that still want him in a Bills uniform).

I don't think teams care THAT much about hometown. Stevie might particularly target them, but even that's only if dollars add up.

I just think they waited too long. At this point he knows he is going to get paid no matter where he goes. He is about to get his first big contract of his career and he'll have the ability to pick where he wants to play. As a 7th round pick and former practice squad player I think that's huge. He has had a chance to think about being able to play for another team (maybe a team that has made the playoffs during his adult life). I get that there haven't been a ton of players being re-signed by their teams recently but I just feel like the time to re-sign Johnson passed a long time ago. I like Johnson but I don't think he's any more loyal than any other professional athlete and I think if he gets the opportunity to go he'll take it without looking back and would be justified in doing it.

I just think they waited too long. At this point he knows he is going to get paid no matter where he goes. He is about to get his first big contract of his career and he'll have the ability to pick where he wants to play. As a 7th round pick and former practice squad player I think that's huge. He has had a chance to think about being able to play for another team (maybe a team that has made the playoffs during his adult life). I get that there haven't been a ton of players being re-signed by their teams recently but I just feel like the time to re-sign Johnson passed a long time ago. I like Johnson but I don't think he's any more loyal than any other professional athlete and I think if he gets the opportunity to go he'll take it without looking back and would be justified in doing it.

Who is gonna pay huge money to a guy who's known as much if not more for his antics than his on-field play? Bills know him best. Hard to think a team that doesn't know him as well is gonna take that chance. The guy made the league minimum his 1st 4 years. Doubt he's gonna turn down $9 million to hold out and hope someone gives up draft compensation and a lucrative long-term contract.

I get the distinct impression that the Bills don't like to pay top dollar to 7th round draft picks....players that they took the time to develop over the years. Which makes no sense to me unless Johnson is asking for the farm, or is thinking he will get franchised @ 10 million a year.

If they don't sign Johnson they go into this next season with a WR who was ranked 61st in David Nelson

Who is gonna pay huge money to a guy who's known as much if not more for his antics than his on-field play? Bills know him best. Hard to think a team that doesn't know him as well is gonna take that chance. The guy made the league minimum his 1st 4 years. Doubt he's gonna turn down $9 million to hold out and hope someone gives up draft compensation and a lucrative long-term contract.

I think you underestimate his worth on the open market. He has put up solid numbers the last few years -- 82 and 76 yards receiving the last two years, back to back 1000 yards receiving, and 17 TDs? For this team? He proved he can do more than compete with the best DBs in the game. Somebody will pay him. Probably a lot or at least more than the Bills would be willing to spend. And everything he's said about dropping the celebrations, getting rid of his online t-shirt sales, etc. has been to sell the idea that he will be a more mature player wherever he ends up.

Edited by Pondslider

I think you underestimate his worth on the open market. And he has put up solid numbers the last few years -- 82 and 76 yards receiving the last two years, back to back 1000 yards receiving, and 17 TDs? For this team? He proved he can do more than compete with the best DBs in the game. Somebody will pay him. Probably a lot or at least more than the Bills would be willing to spend. And everything he's said about dropping the celebrations, getting rid of his online t-shirt sales, etc. has been to sell the idea that he will be a more mature player wherever he ends up.

19(?) players had 1000 yards this year: you might he overrating that benchmark.