If Stevie Johnson is not retained by the Buffalo Bills

Estro

Unfortunately the reality is this is not a one sided deal. I guarantee the Bills would re sign Johnson if he was willing to take a couple million per year. The fact he is on the bubble of elite, means the risk to the business is greater because the dollars are significant, and he and his agent are going to try and get every dollar they can get from a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Cap aside, there is a certain amount of money the bills are willing to spend on salary, whatever that is. That has to be protected because bankrupt teams don't go too far into the playoffs either. If we accept these two facts, the question should be; do SJs agent and the bills agree on his valuation and are the bills willing to spend that portion of payroll on 1 WR.

Thus I would say I sure hope they retain him and without compromising the ability to invest in other areas that need improvement. But if his demands are untennable, or diminishes the ability to improve other positions I hope they pass...

If not retained the feeling will be disappointment but it should be distributed to both parties no not reaching a deal.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My god, Stevie Johnson must be the most popular Buffalo Bill to ever put on the jersey. I will be happy if we keep him. But that still is not UPGRADING the team from last season. He is a GOOD player. He is not a GREAT player. We will still need to bring in another VERY GOOD receiver to play on the other side. The herd mentality on this board is mind numbing.

Fred Jackson is our best offensive player hands down, followed by Eric Wood. Where is all the ranting about giving Freddie a long overdue raise and extension. And what about extending Wood and Levitre as well? Do you think we are marching to the Super Bowl if we resign Stevie Johnson? What about taking that money and signing Marcus Colston, and Pierre Garcon, Dwayne Bowe, or Vincent Jackson? Stevie doesn't seem as great mentioned against those guys does he?

The rebuild needs a large infusion of talent, especially now that they've junked the previous defense. If they don't add a dependable WR and DE in UFA, it's hard to see them improving with draft picks and low cost options off the street, from practice squads, and UDFA's. That said, I still don't expect to see any major spending in UFA - that would hurt the bottom line too significantly. Besides, 2/28 is the deadline for Buffalo to request to carry over their 21M in cap dollars. Not doing so tells me where they stand with respect to adding good pieces for 2012.

Keep Johnson and sign another solid WR. Because David Nelson, Derek Hagan, Donald Jones, and Marcus Easley aren't the answer right now.

Stevie is a solid, but second tier, WR. Behind him, I don't even see a third tier WR. He should be the priority as his skillset is imperative to the offense, but it won't change my expectations. I am a Bills fan. Not a Bills front office fan. Not a coach fan. I like the players and the team and the city that they represent. The rest of the BS is outside of my sphere of influence. It makes things more difficult, but I guess a strong backbone is something I was born with.

I would rather the Bills take a chance and pay him like an elite WR rather than letting him walk and turn out to be great on another team.

If the Bills were to resign him and pay him what hes asking and he turns out to be a flop I would not hold it against the Bills front office because at least they took the chance and showed that they are commited to keeping young talent in Buffalo

The rebuild needs a large infusion of talent, especially now that they've junked the previous defense. If they don't add a dependable WR and DE in UFA, it's hard to see them improving with draft picks and low cost options off the street, from practice squads, and UDFA's. That said, I still don't expect to see any major spending in UFA - that would hurt the bottom line too significantly. Besides, 2/28 is the deadline for Buffalo to request to carry over their 21M in cap dollars. Not doing so tells me where they stand with respect to adding good pieces for 2012.

Keep Johnson and sign another solid WR. Because David Nelson, Derek Hagan, Donald Jones, and Marcus Easley aren't the answer right now.

Actually the move back to the 4-3 requires less talent infusion that had they stuck with the 3-4. Essentially they need a pass-rushing RDE and starting SLB (Barnett will be WLB, where he played in GB when they used a 4-3, and Sheppard will be MLB) on defense, and they'll have a shot at a decent DE in the draft and they can find a starting SLB in FA.

As for offense, they need to retain SJ and add a TE. Another proven starting WR would be nice as well.

Besides, 2/28 is the deadline for Buffalo to request to carry over their 21M in cap dollars. Not doing so tells me where they stand with respect to adding good pieces for 2012.

If a team requests the carry over, are then then required to spend it?

If not I would expect Brandon to insist on requesting the carry over. Giving the impression that the team is willing to spend is too good of a public relations opportunity to pass up when facing another off season of shrinking season ticket buyers.

Actually the move back to the 4-3 requires less talent infusion that had they stuck with the 3-4. Essentially they need a pass-rushing RDE and starting SLB (Barnett will be WLB, where he played in GB when they used a 4-3, and Sheppard will be MLB) on defense, and they'll have a shot at a decent DE in the draft and they can find a starting SLB in FA.

As for offense, they need to retain SJ and add a TE. Another proven starting WR would be nice as well.

Mark Gaughan from the BN disagrees:

Gaughan BN article

If a team requests the carry over, are then then required to spend it?

If not I would expect Brandon to insist on requesting the carry over. Giving the impression that the team is willing to spend is too good of a public relations opportunity to pass up when facing another off season of shrinking season ticket buyers.

They aren't required to spend it, nor does it increase the minimum for that team. I can see the Bills requesting the carry-over while ST sales are going on, then fall back and not spend it.

Interestingly enough, the Buccaneers and their owner, Malcolm Glazer, requested the carry-over this week. Reportedly, they'll have 60M in cap space to work with.

I'd feel real bad at first, but I'd get over it in time. I've forgiven Stevie for that touchdown he dropped in Pitsburgh last year, but to my surprise, I haven't quite forgotten it. This kid is very talented, no doubt, but his mind tends to be elsewhere at critical times. Personally, I would love it if Stevie and OBD came to a deal. Still, it's times like this that I'm reminded of guys like Tom Brady, or Kurt Warner, or Jeremy Lin. Guys who were waiting in the wings until they got one small opportunity. Steve Johnson is a very good reciever. -One of the best in our division. A TRULY GREAT one, however, could be just one signing away. All a fan can do is hope against hope that we don't lose our best players. Sometimes though, it's just hoping in vain. GO BILLS! (Insert charging buffalo here)