The Giants SB Win Proves...

I'm tired of hearing that the Giants got hot at the right time. They got HEALTHY at the right time. There is a difference.

I'm not so sure that they really got hot as in their losing streak they faced San Francisco, the Eagles, the Packers, the Saints. Them getting healthy and the emergence of Cruz as a 3rd WR threat were MUCH MUCH larger factors.

Now, that being said look at our team. Our slide oddly enough coincided with us getting "unhealthy" specifically at WR and offensive line. HRMMM... I wonder if the talent around a QB and their health affects his play? Oh...throw in the cracked ribs issue that has now been exposed and we might have an explanation for another mid season slide after a VERY promising start which people have some how blanked from their memory.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not so sure that they really got hot as in their losing streak they faced San Francisco, the Eagles, the Packers, the Saints. Them getting healthy and the emergence of Cruz as a 3rd WR threat were MUCH MUCH larger factors.

Now, that being said look at our team. Our slide oddly enough coincided with us getting "unhealthy" specifically at WR and offensive line. HRMMM... I wonder if the talent around a QB and their health affects his play? Oh...throw in the cracked ribs issue that has now been exposed and we might have an explanation for another mid season slide after a VERY promising start which people have some how blanked from their memory.

Shhhh, you're going to get everyone upset. I have it on good authority that good teams can withstand any & all injuries without missing a beat & "franchise" QBs always play lights out regardless of broken bones.

Shhhh, you're going to get everyone upset. I have it on good authority that good teams can withstand any & all injuries without missing a beat & "franchise" QBs always play lights out regardless of broken bones.

LOL. Right on.

Don't want to get the whiny Bills fans all in a tizzy about how we can never win with Fitz and we should gamble everything to jump up and get RG3 at #2 because he is a sure fire hall of famer. These clowns clamoring for a franchise QB can't even statistically define what one is! Idiots! Define what one is statistically and then maybe I'll listen to them. I will then point out the talent level, support system and scheme in place around them.

"Defense wins Championships" Doesn't preclude you from having the #1 Offense in the League.

It doesn't mean that your offense is not capable .

It means that you have a really good defense.

Which it is much easier to argue that the NYG Super Bowl win proves that "Defense does in fact win Championships" than "having a good offense and a good defense" wins championships. :doh:

So how'd that work out for San Fran...

"Defense wins Championships" Doesn't preclude you from having the #1 Offense in the League.

It doesn't mean that your offense is not capable .

It means that you have a really good defense.

Which it is much easier to argue that the NYG Super Bowl win proves that "Defense does in fact win Championships" than "having a good offense and a good defense" wins championships. :doh:

I don't respond to posters that use emoticons...

Pretty good! They were playing ball in the conference championship while Bills fans were at home praying for a savior messiah at QB instead of focusing on actual areas of weakness on the team.

Pretty good! They were playing ball in the conference championship while Bills fans were at home praying for a savior messiah at QB instead of focusing on actual areas of weakness on the team.

And if not for an injury to Ted Ginn that caused San Fran to field a fumbling punt returner in his place , San Fran would likely have been in Super Bowl.

Off the top of my head it looks like G men drafted better than us last few yrs despoite being below us in draft order., Case in point, Linvelle Joseph the DT was taken in 2nd round after we took Trouper. Ooops.... Let's see, the G men dratedf Mario Manningham the year I think we took Hardy before him in same round? We took Spiller, they took Pierre-Paul same round. They traded up to get Eli. We traded up to get Losman?? WTF kind of organization do we have here and expect to win if we can not get our 1st 3 or 4 picks to start , never mind star. Thank God we could not screw up Dareus pick.

got a chuckle out of this:

Coughlin could be around for a while following his second title as a head coach. He signed a contract extension in July that runs through next season, but it looks as the Giants could revisit that deal following the franchise’s fourth Super Bowl win.

It’s obvious he still wants to coach.

“I don’t fish, I don’t golf,” he said. “My wife keeps telling me, ‘You better have something to do, buddy boy. If you think you’re going to hang around here, you’re crazy.”’

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ApglaB1h33hca8eHNdFP2ldDubYF?slug=ap-superbowl-giantscelebrate

um, The San Francisco 49ers have a great defense, They lost the NFC Championship team however to the #1 ranked defense in the playoffs, so I'm not really sure what you're getting at.

Either way if the 9ers win the Super Bowl or if the Giants win the Super Bowl it is easier to argue that "Defense wins Championships" than "a balanced team with an equal good offense and a defense wins championships."

Not that I'm arguing one way or another.

I'm just saying the whole argument is mastabatory.

What wins in the NFL and how far away is Buffalo? You need a very good QB - and Fitz is not that guy. You need capable recievers. You need to have at least one dominant feature on both sides of the ball - (great pass rush/great pass offense, or, great run stuffing D, great running offense) You need to be able to do some things really well, at the least. Buffalo does nothing really well.

Looking at the Giants and Patriots, a few things stood out to me in contrast to Buffalo. One - the Patriots, as much as I dislike them, do a lot with a bit of a handicap. I mean, their front office and coaching staff has been picked upon for the last seven or eight years, I think. They're constantly having to reassemble a staff, and they deal with having to pay big money to some guys - and they do that stuff well. Buffalo isn't close to having to make the tough decisions New England has had to make personnel wise, and they still botch things up.

Also, the Giants - man, can they draft! They are aces at drafting D-linemen and Recievers. The Bills could only be so lucky! What does Buffalo's Defense lack more than anything, IMO? A nasty, go after the QB and make him scared kind of Linebacker or D-end. We need an aggressive, flying all over the place kind of man on the line to fire guys up and help instill fear into the opposition. Because, as it stands right now, we've got no man on our Defense with that kind of attitude.

This year is Nix's year to go out there and get us some pass rushers, and to put the finishing touches on this defense. He's had two drafts - both heavy on Defense, and now has Wanny. If he can't put together a good defense after having three drafts and having Wannstedt to lead it, then he might not be the guy for the job. I like some of his picks so far, but he needs to find a real all-pro D-lineman/linebacker to put it all together.

I suppose it's these intellectually inferior Bills fans who are to blame for drafting crappy players on defense instead of good players on defense? Makes sense, particularly as 9er fans universally had Alex Smith's back at the start of the season. <_<

And if not for an injury to Ted Ginn that caused San Fran to field a fumbling punt returner in his place , San Fran would likely have been in Super Bowl.

They could've lost to the Saints just as easily as they could've beaten the Giants.

Edited by BuffOrange

All you have to look at is the Giant's post season DEFENSIVE stats.

Points Per Game: 1st

First Downs Per Game: 2nd

3rd Down Percentage: 1st

Now let's look at their OFFENSIVE stats:

Points Per Game: 5th

First Downs Per Game: 5th

3rd Down Percentage: 6th

What does this tell us? Out of 12 teams that made it into the playoffs the Giants basically had the best defense in these important game stats and they had a mediocre offense that didn't even rank in the top 1/3 of all offenses. Their defense was the best and they did this against pretty good to prolific offenses. The Falcons, the PACKERS, the 49'ers and THE NEW ENGLAND FREAKIN' PATRIOTS!!!! Defense and smart QB play wins championships! Defense and smart QB play win Superbowls.

Now if only the Bills could get out of the NFL basement in defense and we can acquire some WRs other than SJ that can catch the ball over their heads with their hands instead of the platoon of body snatchers we have we would be on the right track.

Does anyone else notice that good teams have WRs that can catch the ball over their head with their hands? We have guys that are tall but can't catch with their hands over their heads. They are body snatchers that have to be hit perfectly in stride.

The Pats 31st ranked defense didn't play in the wildcard round, so putting wildcard results aside, they actually gave up less points per game than the Giants in the Divisional/Champ/Super Bowl rounds. That's fair right?

Was the Patriots defense RED HOT!???

I think not. The pace of the games dictated that the scores were going to be lower. The offenses were more conservative and deliberate as they tried not to turn the football over.

Was that Super Bowl a defensive struggle? Hell no. Brady completed 16 straight passes at one point. There were some really long drives by both offenses. And there were some drives killed by uncharacteristic, unforced drops and penalities. It was by no means a defensive struggle.

In the end, so many of the playoff games came down to quarterbacking and turnovers as they most often do nowadays. Manning outperformed Brady in the 4th quarter and the Giants got a key turnover(1-0) and also fell on 2 of their own fumbles.

IMO, the Giants were a SB winner this year FIRST because they had a QB who DOMINATED the 4th quarter all year.........at a historic level.......as I am sure most of you heard via the announcers in each game all postseason.........and saw first hand again last night.

SECOND he is accompanied by a defense that can rush the passer at the end of those same games. Not a great defense. A defense that can rush the passer.

Thus, if the game is close, they have the edge when the game turns into a completely one dimensional struggle. As mentioned, the pace of the playoff games lends itself to close contests and the Giants were poised to finish strong.

That Giant defense...a unit whose linebackers make the Bills LB corps look stellar by comparison.......was nice when it played well in the playoffs. But it's easier to keep one heavily-protected-by-NFL-rules QB healthy than it is an entire defensive unit. Without the week-in, week-out production of Eli Manning, that defense never gets to see the playoffs, let alone a be used as false "proof that defense wins championships".

There is definitely a lot of luck involved in these games.

If Baltimore hits that simple kick or Lee hangs on to the ball, and SF's special teams dude doesnt fumble away the season for them, it's two totally different teams playing for the championship.

I think Green Bay lost 6 games last year and the Giants lost 7 this year (almost 8 if we could've held on). The Giants aren't dominant they're a pretty good team with a hot qb that was 8-7 playing the lowly Cowboys for a playoff shot in week 17. They got a huge boost from a walk on receiver in Cruz this year, and they take shots downfield to keep defenses honest.

The rest was just the way the ball bounces (and Belichick trying to play defense with 12 guys. He's a GENIUS)

There is definitely a lot of luck involved in these games.

If Baltimore hits that simple kick or Lee hangs on to the ball, and SF's special teams dude doesnt fumble away the season for them, it's two totally different teams playing for the championship.

I think Green Bay lost 6 games last year and the Giants lost 7 this year (almost 8 if we could've held on). The Giants aren't dominant they're a pretty good team with a hot qb that was 8-7 playing the lowly Cowboys for a playoff shot in week 17. They got a huge boost from a walk on receiver in Cruz this year, and they take shots downfield to keep defenses honest.

The rest was just the way the ball bounces (and Belichick trying to play defense with 12 guys. He's a GENIUS)

By the time these teams are playing in the championship games, so many subtle things are influencing the outcome. Some bad clock management by a coach, and the next thing you know, some quarterback is considered a loser for the rest of his life.

No Bills head coach or starting QB has ever raised a SB trophy as a head coach or starting QB for any team.

There's your decision makin'.

Meh.....I don't think that having the worst rushing offense in the entire NFL is what could be defined as balanced football. That was the Giants this year.

And the Pats had the worst pass defense in the AFC.

I don't think it is impossible that a great running team or a great defensive team could ever win another SB, but if you want the best blueprint for a SB in this era.....

the very simple and obvious answer is get a great QB and then try to rush the passer at a high level.

Balance? That would be nice but that is hard to maintain long term. A top QB can give you 10 cracks at the playoffs, thus increasing your chances of winning a SB.

We decided to win a few games this year and missed out on Andrew Luck, the best "top QB" prospect to come along in 15 years. Sucks to be a Bills fan. This team can't win for losing. Go draft Willis McGahee...