Who's In Your Five?

Astrobot

1. Mercilus

2. Reiff

3. Upshaw

4. Coples

5. Jeffery

My dream scenario would be to draft Mercilus, sign Mario and Garcon, re-sign Stevie, and grab Burfict in the 2nd if he's there.

We now have a very talented front 7. KW/Dareus stop the run and collapse the pocket while Mercilus and Mario pick up the sacks. Barnett contains the edge. Shep continues to develop. Burfict brings attitude and a mean streak which we sorely lack and Merriman is used as a situational pass rusher!

Yes, I am dreaming.

Edited by It's in My Blood

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all going to be about the Combine and/or Private Workouts for Jeffery...He did let himself get a little out-of-shape last Season...But in actuality his weight did not effect his production nearly as much as the QB change...He still runs by CB's like Dennard with little effort...But if he gets his weight WAY down, shows dedication to being in top condition, and runs in the 4.5's, I can't see why he would not be a Top 7-15 Pick...If he shows up with that little pooch and looks slow, he'll slide...despite being enormously talented... B-)

Boy, are you right! :thumbsup: Jeffery just schooled Dennard (2 TD's I think), not because Dennard is a crappy CB, but because he's a top drawer receiver!

I want Alshon Jeffery at 10. Is that a bad pick?

Nope...At least not IMHO...That's who I want too...Like I said earlier in this thread I'm assuming he comes to the Combine and his Workouts in great shape and all...I think he's a major talent...Top 5 talent if he runs in the 4.5's... B-)

Fully agree. Jeffery is a potential beast in the NFL. The main complaint (for me) is that he looks slow on the field, even in his highlights. (Strangely, I've seen some amateur draft sites talk about his speed as a plus, but I chalk that up to the idea that people who watch a ton of college football sometimes get used to the speed of the game, and overlook the difference between college and the NFL. Jeffery is *slow* for the NFL.) I think Jeffery's lack of speed ties directly into his poor conditioning. Someone posted a shirtless picture of Jeffery in another thread, and let's just say it's a bad sign if a WR's physique reminds me of my own flabby self. If Jeffery can get in shape and stay in shape, I think he's absolutely worth the #10 pick, and a potential blue-chip player. Dude catches *everything* thrown within 5 feet of him, and seems to do a great job on jump balls. Really looks like he was born to play WR. Hopefully the poor physique is the result of terrible nutrition rather than a lack of discipline or a poor work ethic. Which could be - a lot of these college kids have no idea how to eat right, and campus food options tend to be very heavy on the deep-fried end. Kevin Love's a good example of a guy who lost a ton of weight after leaving UCLA, mostly because he had someone teach him some basic nutrition and started eating right.

In summary I want the Bills to get better on defense I also want them to get better in general and make the most of the #10 overall pick.

+1. At #10 overall, you kind of need to get a premium player. Someone who can make a real impact on the team. Doesn't necessarily need to be right away (especially in the hypothetical case of a QB), but does need to be pretty significant. In recent years, we've had a #9 and #11 pick that were overtly drafted as part-time players. No more of that, please. Take the best player at a position that can really help us. By my count, that's QB, WR, TE, LT, DE, CB - and SLB, but only if the linebacker in question is a legit pass-rusher as a DE on passing downs. Think Matthias Kiwanuka or Von Miller or Bryan Orakpo when the Redskins played a 4-3. A LB who comes off the field on passing downs is a part-time player, and I want no part of that.

I think the Bills will bring in pass rush via FA so they can draft BPA at #10. Right now I would bet the Mock for 1-9, and the resulting short list of BPA's would be (all others being previously taken):

Round Pick Team Selection Psn School CRI Delta ReachValue

1 1 Indianapolis Andrew Luck QB Stanford P1 +0 Value

1 2 St Louis Matt Kalil OT USC P2 +0 Value

1 3 Minnesota Justin Blackmon WRF Oklahoma State P2 +0 Value

1 4 Cleveland Robert Griffin QB Baylor P2 -4 Reach

1 5 Tampa Bay Morris Claiborne CB LSU P2 +0 Value

1 6 Washington Michael Floyd WRF Notre Dame P3 -3 Reach

1 7 Jacksonville Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama P2 -5 Reach

1 8 Miami Courtney Upshaw OLB34 Alabama P2 -5 Reach

1 9 Carolina Devon Still DT43 Penn State P2 +2 Value

Leaving us with a choice of:

Quinton Coples DE43 North Carolina

Zach Brown OLB43 North Carolina

Riley Reiff OT Iowa

Jonathan Martin OT Stanford

Alfonzo Dennard CB Nebraska

Luke Kuechly ILB Boston College *

Whitn.Mercilus DE43 Illinois

Janoris Jenkins CB North Alabama

David DeCastro OG Stanford *

Melvin Ingram DE43 South Carolina

Nick Perry OLB34 USC *

Mike Adams OT Ohio State

Donta Hightower ILB Alabama *

Mohamed Sanu WRF Rutgers

That's the order DraftTek has them on their BigBoard, before the Underwear Olympics. :flirt:

Think of this as the BPA Board according to our guys who do this for a living and many of whom were at Senior Bowl week.

IMHO, I'd take Kuechly (which I learned is pronounced CAKE-lee) and Hightower off since Gailey said yesterday Shepp's his MLB. I'm taking DeCastro off, because we'll fill that position internally. I'm taking Perry off (sorry people) because he drops to 30th on our BigBoard if played as a DE43.

I'm looking at two CB's, three OT's, three DE43's, one OLB43, and one WR available at #10 pre-combine.

Channix will look at which CB, which OT, and which DE they like best, and it's down to 5-6 players.

My five right now, for a solid, low risk, immediate-high-return pick, are

Reiff OT, Brown OLB43, Martin OT, Ingram DE43, and Adams OT.

To effectively be able to draft BPA, the Bills will be bringing in a pass rusher in FA like

John Abraham (32.7 PRR*),

Calais Campbell (23.5 PRR),

Robert Mathis (22 PRR),

and not

Michael Bennett (12.5 PRR), or

Mario Williams (9.2 PRR).

*PRR is Pass Rush Rating from ProFootballFocus Premium. It's the sum of each player's game by game pass rush rating scores from 2011.

Let's say you did bring in a guy like Mathis, so you can draft BPA at #10.

Who's in your FIVE?

My five right now, for a solid, low risk, immediate-high-return pick, are

Reiff OT, Brown OLB43, Martin OT, Ingram DE43, and Adams OT.

Mercilus,

Reiff

Martin

Adams

Couples

You can make a good argument for Ingram here as well. If the Bills stick to this list I don't think they can screw the first round up. Trade down for another top 3 pick always works for me as well.

Edited by Trader

I agree with most of this but there are two factors to consider.

1.) Look at the past 5 years of draft history. Buffalo was never really in a position to draft an elite LT prospect. Yes many of them may not have been studs but Buffalo was never in the running.

This year it is shapping up to maybe have Martin or Adams available when the Bills pick. Then you have Rieff which I'm not as bully on as a LT. But the Bills will need to vet that out.

2.) Look at the WR or DE available when the Bills pick. Coples* has work ethic questions. Then Ingram? Ingram would have been a 3rd rounder like Justin Houston the 2011 drafrt. Its just not a strong draft class at DE.

If Floyd or Jeffrey are there at 10 then that is a real opportunity. But if you're looking at BPA its hard to argue that Martin and Adams aren't pure head and shoulders BPA over any of the defensive prospects available at 10. Like hands down no objection Martin is a better prospect than Upshaw, Coples or Ingram.

In summary I want the Bills to get better on defense I also want them to get better in general and make the most of the #10 overall pick. LT is likely the real undisputible pure BPA especially if the draft plays out like Astro posted.

Grab a franchise LT if you get the chance. That gives the Bills 3 Top 40 picks on your O-line plus Reihnert and Urbik so the O-line sucks talk can officially be killed.

* If Coples doesn't really have work ethic issues and the Bills do their due diligence and there is nothing to worry about and if the Bills lose out in Free Agency for DE pass rusher then Coples jumps to #1 with a bullet. Although from a fan perspective it'll be hard to make this determination unless you go interview all his coaches.

I agree with you. I don't see a real difference-making pass rusher in the bunch, except *maybe* Coples. Coples, though, does have the

work ethic questions and hasn't been seen as a real elite pass rusher, more of a set the edge good against the run with some

pass rush ability guy. Is Coples a better pass rusher than anyone on the Bills' roster? Yes - but is he a better pass rusher than

any of the top LTs are pass blockers? I don't know, but so far from what I've read - no.

Ingram seems to be the most athletic of the remaining "pass rushers". I haven't seen Mercilus, but I worry about the single year

of production. I like Upshaw as a good blue-chip try-hard guy, but from what I can tell he seems to be more Chris Kelsay than

Bruce Smith.

I'm not a super big fan of Malcolm Floyd or Alshon Jeffrey, that high in the draft.

If by some miracle Morris Claiborne were available, I think they'd have to look very hard at him.

my top 5 would be

Andrew Luck

Robert G3

Justin Blackmon

michael floyd

Kalil

Out of your top five we only have a legitimate chance at one(Floyd). I would have had the same list as yours if I thought we had a chance at any of these guys. For the record, I'd take Jeffrey over Floyd.

I agree with you. I don't see a real difference-making pass rusher in the bunch, except *maybe* Coples. Coples, though, does have the

work ethic questions and hasn't been seen as a real elite pass rusher, more of a set the edge good against the run with some

pass rush ability guy. Is Coples a better pass rusher than anyone on the Bills' roster? Yes - but is he a better pass rusher than

any of the top LTs are pass blockers? I don't know, but so far from what I've read - no.

Ingram seems to be the most athletic of the remaining "pass rushers". I haven't seen Mercilus, but I worry about the single year

of production. I like Upshaw as a good blue-chip try-hard guy, but from what I can tell he seems to be more Chris Kelsay than

Bruce Smith.

I'm not a super big fan of Malcolm Floyd or Alshon Jeffrey, that high in the draft.

If by some miracle Morris Claiborne were available, I think they'd have to look very hard at him.

From what I've seen in Mercilus, the kid can get to the passer in a variety of different ways, The kid can beat the o-lineman when engaged, he can run right by him and he has an arsenal of pass rush moves. There's nothing I don't like about the kid. Plus, he forced 9 fumbles, last year, which means he's strong and smart. He goes after the ball, he's not happy just getting the sack, alone.

Every year there seems to be some negative talk about certain guys. Whether it be the "one year wonder" label or the "he lacks work ethic" label that allows the good teams in the back end of round one to consistently end up with these guys, leaving fans, like us Bills fans, wondering how we let this kid end up with the Ravens or Patriots or something like that. I'm not too worried about the "one year wonder" thing. I'm more concerned with the athletic ability, size, speed, and intangibles of the individual. Whitney Mercilus seems to have his act together in all phases. I'm really hoping he's our pick.

I have a weird suspicion we are going to resign Stevie and possibly another real good WR in FA making Chan/Buddy go with a LT at #10. Hopefully Martin from Stanford. It'll be a offense-heavy offseason when we all think it should be defense.

Edited by stony

I have a weird suspicion we are going to resign Stevie and possibly another real good WR in FA making Chan/Buddy go with a LT at #10. Hopefully Martin from Stanford. It'll be a offense-heavy offseason when we all think it should be defense.

Wouldn't that turn us on our helmets? I can see LT if one of them are there for sure. I still think stevie is a resign but we better tender him something to chew before 3/13. As far as offense our only true weakness is potentially LT and WR's.

Martin would be a great score if he fell to us.

Also i agree that we will find some more competition for the o line.

But it is still all about getting some defensive pressure! whether we find it in the second round and or FA we have to solve that problem.

my top five in position regardless of draft rank are

big time DE who can stay on the field in our hybrid schemes

the guy who replaces Kelsay at olb when he goes back to End. thank goodness.

WR who can get the ball

WR who can outrun everyone else and still get the ball

CB to replace Mcgee at starting CB. not a KR/PR. I can see us drafting earlier than i prefer on this but will be okay with right pick.

youth trainee for Barnett and some big nasty trainee behind Shepp at mlb

C/G draft

wait that was eight. not five. wait.. it is now six with the new guy behind Shep.

This is considering our current staff.

Edited by 3rdand12