Does defense really win championships?

Billsguy

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no one component wins anything. what a dominant defense can do is make up for some deficiencies in special teams or offense. there is a very high value to be placed on a stout defense that stops the run, pressures the passer and creates turnovers. but if you have a great defense combined with an offense that cannot generate first downs or score points, then it is completely irrelevant. i believe that some sort of balance must be achieved to win a championship. either that or an enormous horshoe and incriminating photos of officials.

old adage ( or so :D )

if you dont score you cant win

if they dont score you cant lose

thing is, you need to sell out to one idea. and live with the results.

i was always in favor of a terr(or)ific defense

but thats just me

Edited by playman

I thought it was funny that after the WC and divisional round all of the "experts" were saying defense was not important now and you just have to have a good offense. Then in conference Championships only 1 team scored more than 22 points and the rest scored less than 21. The games featured a lot of defense shutting down some very proficient NFL offenses.

I thought it was funny that after the WC and divisional round all of the "experts" were saying defense was not important now and you just have to have a good offense. Then in conference Championships only 1 team scored more than 22 points and the rest scored less than 21. The games featured a lot of defense shutting down some very proficient NFL offenses.

Yet the #2 and # 3 defenses in the league are at home while two of the lesser ranked defenses, and higher powered offense, are playing in the SB.

Yet the #2 and # 3 defenses in the league are at home while two of the lesser ranked defenses, and higher powered offense, are playing in the SB.

Does it matter so much where they are ranked, or how they play in the conference championship games?

The conclusion based on the evidence: "Bottom line: Defense is no more important than offense."

The problem with the Bills is that they are deficient on both sides of the ball. Hopefully, the endless arguing about what is more important will subside. The same pointless arguments can be made about running games, run defense, QB play, etc. These are pointless arguments because you need all the elements to be consistently good. The historical exceptions (i.e. team X won the Super Bowl with a lousy QB and a great defense) will always lead to faulty conclusions.

I'll take a great qb and average defense over an average qb and great defense. Elite QBs are the single most important component of a winning team.

Ditto. Especially because the elite QB is likely to stay elite for 8-10 years, whereas the elite D probably has more like a 3-4 year shelf life. But obviously you can win with great D and mediocre O. Of course, the ideal scenario is a great offense AND a great defense.

The conclusion based on the evidence: "Bottom line: Defense is no more important than offense."The problem with the Bills is that they are deficient on both sides of the ball. Hopefully, the endless arguing about what is more important will subside. The same pointless arguments can be made about running games, run defense, QB play, etc. These are pointless arguments because you need all the elements to be consistently good. The historical exceptions (i.e. team X won the Super Bowl with a lousy QB and a great defense) will always lead to faulty conclusions.

I agree that we should be generally concerned with improving the team rather than worrying about where those improvements come from. However, some elements of a team are definitely more important than others. Upgrading the FB/lead blocker position, for example, is a marginal benefit that leads to almost no extra wins.

old adage ( or so :D )

if you dont score you cant win

if they dont score you cant lose

thing is, you need to sell out to one idea. and live with the results.

i was always in favor of a terr(or)ific defense

but thats just me

If the rules were more balanced between offense and defense I would agree with you 100%. The problem is rules continue to be put in place that limit what defenders can do to so that a more interesting product is put on the field.

Just thought this was REALLY interesting. Everyone likes to talk about the need for a franchise QB but three....repeat THREE of the top 4 defenses in the post season made it to the divisional championship round. Two out of 3 of those defenses will play in the superbowl. There are some really good QBs that left in the first round of the play offs that are going to be watching from home a couple sundays from now.

Basically if you don't have a franchise post season defense you don't have a shot. Apparently defense might still win championships ;)