OT: Terrel Owens interview in GQ

merlin

I pity him.

I pity his children more, who seemingly know their father primarily through the context of caustic child support litigation.

Tough spot. He dug his hole, but I don't think he ever saw it coming. I think he's more or less well intentioned but was never equipped mentally/emotionally to catapult to the top like he did.

I don't care how rich daddy is/was 40k a month is absurd for child support on 4 kids.

He did it to himself, but it's tough not to feel bad for the guy.

You can't argue he didn't bring a lot of his troubles on himself, but like most guys, there's probably more to the man than what has been written in the sports media over the years.

As for the financial stuff, the NFL should be ashamed that it lets so many young, financially illiterate players fall victim to bad advice.

Tough spot. He dug his hole, but I don't think he ever saw it coming. I think he's more or less well intentioned but was never equipped mentally/emotionally to catapult to the top like he did.

I don't care how rich daddy is/was 40k a month is absurd for child support on 4 kids.

He did it to himself, but it's tough not to feel bad for the guy.

If it were me, I'd take a flame thrower to that court house.

how can anyone feel bad for this guy when all he does is blame everyone else for his problems

the article mentions his houses but also states he never spent lavishly which i disagree with...this is a guy that knocked on someones door in Moorestown NJ after becoming an Eagle and offered the homwowners more then the house was worth when it wasnt even on the market

i could be wrong but i dont think he ever sold that house even though he hasnt lived there for how many years?

and if he is broke how is he becoming part owner of an indoor football league?

Edited by Max997

I don't know about that. $40k a month until they are 21 is $10 million total. He made $80 mil according to the article. Seriously at his level of income at one time, you can't expect him to pay $500/month per kid

That's part of his deal - an equity share in the team. He's not paying anyone for it, they're giving it to him.

There also giving it to him because they have no real money too pay him. In the end this deal will be sitting right next to his other bad investments. Desperate people do desperate things. I can't imagine any way that TO can create a revenue stream post NFL career.

Once TO realizes that he alone is responsible for his life he will begin to see how he can make real money again. The people that I have known in life who blame everybody else for their problems have always found themselves in dire straits. It just goes with the mindset.

Excellent post. Inciteful and goes to the core of his current plight and possibility for some type of resolution.

I don't know about that. $40k a month until they are 21 is $10 million total. He made $80 mil according to the article. Seriously at his level of income at one time, you can't expect him to pay $500/month per kid

Im sorry, but 10k a month per kid works out to 120k a year. Thats a pretty huge number of REQUIRED dollars. I think its fair to expect them as a human to want to be a part of their kids lives, especially on a financial level, but there are huge numbers of middle class families that support multiple people on less money than that. Im not saying TO should pay $500 a month, but im saying at some level it should be about keeping them fed, clothed, safe, and well taken care of.... far less than 10k, plus moms energy and efforts should have these kids more than setup for future success and current well being. you could hire a full time nanny, send them to private school, and handle all expenses and still be able to save for college... all without touching moms 24 hours worth of efforts to commit to them daily.

maybe im crazy but i think there should be a cap at some level where a kid can be well cared for with the payments from dad in a single parent house - if the father wants to go above that AWESOME, but to legally require 10k a month - coupled with his 4 kids - its his own fault, he should have learned his lesson the first 3 times.... but its excessive.

Edited by NoSaint

10K a month for a kid is a CRIME.

Each one of those mamas should have to itemize every last cent. They should be audited, and any unspent dollar should go right back to daddy.

10k a month per kid is not filling daddy's vacant shoes, it's giving mama a free pass. It also sets a wildly dangerous precedent for any other young lady with dollar signs in her pupils.

**** is messed up...unless I'm missing something.

Im sorry, but 10k a month per kid works out to 120k a year. Thats a pretty huge number of REQUIRED dollars. I think its fair to expect them as a human to want to be a part of their kids lives, especially on a financial level, but there are huge numbers of middle class families that support multiple people on less money than that. Im not saying TO should pay $500 a month, but im saying at some level it should be about keeping them fed, clothed, safe, and well taken care of.... far less than 10k, plus moms energy and efforts should have these kids more than setup for future success and current well being. you could hire a full time nanny, send them to private school, and handle all expenses and still be able to save for college... all without touching moms 24 hours worth of efforts to commit to them daily.

maybe im crazy but i think there should be a cap at some level where a kid can be well cared for with the payments from dad in a single parent house - if the father wants to go above that AWESOME, but to legally require 10k a month - coupled with his 4 kids - its his own fault, he should have learned his lesson the first 3 times.... but its excessive.

I agree with you right up until the part where it's his fault. And his fault alone.

10K a month for a kid is a CRIME.

Each one of those mamas should have to itemize every last cent. They should be audited, and any unspent dollar should go right back to daddy.

10k a month per kid is not filling daddy's vacant shoes, it's giving mama a free pass. It also sets a wildly dangerous precedent for any other young lady with dollar signs in her pupils.

**** is messed up...unless I'm missing something.

I agree with you right up until the part where it's his fault. And his fault alone.

After the first, he knew what was coming and chose to keep rolling the dice. There are plenty of unfair situations out there but after you get yourself into the same one over and over again you have to look in the mirror. Do it once, shame on him for not knowing better. Do it 4 times, and well, shame on him for not stopping. Unless there's more to the story, it's not that hard to protect yourself. But yea 10k is shameful.

That said- between the sudden stardom, and his seemingly huge emotional issues it's no surprise he ended up here. That's the sad part really. Anyone that cared would have seen it a mile away, but it looks like the vultures spotted it even quicker.

Edited by NoSaint

Pity? PITY!?!?

Please.

The guy made 10's of millions of dollars playing a game. He squandered 10's of millions. When most people struggle to make 1 million in their LIFETIME, this guy did it over, and over, and over again. And has nothing to show for it.

I mean, atleast with boxers you know that so many repeated blows to the head leaves them a little...soft in the head after awhile. But a WR?

Children with 4 different women? This is hardly the Travis Henry school of child rearing, but bringing a child into this world when you had no intention of being with the chick is terrible. But to do it 4 FREAKIN' TIMES!!!!?!?!?!? Ever heard of a condom? Or, maybe...marrying?

This doesn't sound like a story. Just a serial "look how the mighty have fallen". People seem to get off on that. Like stupid rubberneckers on the thruway when there's an accident. TO brought some of that on himself with his lavish routine while he was playing, and how "great" he was. So some of it is self-inflicted. He built himself up to a certain level, and now that he has fallen so far down apparently we are supposed to feel sorry for it?

What's the point of the article, exactly?

Getting off of steroids certainly brings on depression. As does losing the celebrity status that alot of NFL players seem to encounter when they eventually retire. It is not an easy transition to "normal" life, when for the 30+ years prior you were told otherwise by anyone you came in contact with. And, oh...that buzz of playing in front of thousands of adoring fans. Imagine having your whole life pulled out from under your feet. Especially when you make a gazillion amount of dollars, and tens of thousand of people know you, chicks are crazy about you, everyone telling you how great you are....then it is all gone.

Tough transition, I'll admit. But what, am I supposed to feel sorry for that success?

Get in line. Welcome to the real world, "TO".

After the first, he knew what was coming and chose to keep rolling the dice. There are plenty of unfair situations out there but after you get yourself into the same one over and over again you have to look in the mirror. Do it once, shame on him for not knowing better. Do it 4 times, and well, shame on him for not stopping. Unless there's more to the story, it's not that hard to protect yourself. But yea 10k is shameful.

That said- between the sudden stardom, and his seemingly huge emotional issues it's no surprise he ended up here. That's the sad part really. Anyone that cared would have seen it a mile away, but it looks like the vultures spotted it even quicker.

Okay, I see what you meant.

Agreed.

Children's ages range from 5-12.

If they were all the same age, or within two years of each other, then he's far less absolved.

Either way...10K per kid is a scam.

You can't argue he didn't bring a lot of his troubles on himself, but like most guys, there's probably more to the man than what has been written in the sports media over the years.

As for the financial stuff, the NFL should be ashamed that it lets so many young, financially illiterate players fall victim to bad advice.

What?

What about being responsible for your own actions? Is the NFL now responsible for telling TO's little head telling the big head to procreate to not? Is it the NFL's responsibility how to spend their money?

When is the silver spoon removed?

Federal law says that we are adults at age 18. You are mature enough to enlist in the military to kill people if necessary. Most laws state that we are legal to learn how to operate a motor vehicle at age 16. You are legally old enough to drink at age 21.

The NFL should be ashamed? How do you figure? The NFL is a business. If anything, it's sole responsibility should be to protect its bottom line. So, if players are the bread making side of it, then they should be provided with guidance.

But how is the NFL responsible? Legally speaking, once TO turned 18, he's considered an adult.

I mean, how many financially illiterate 40 year old people are there? Or 50? Or 60? Somehow TO is special because he's a football player making millions? Is boxing responsible for Mike Tyson losing all of his money?

Whatever happened to being responsible for your own actions?

Look at the track record. Having children with 4 different women is no indicator of the lack of character and/ or intelligence?