OT: Terrel Owens interview in GQ

merlin

Nobody will take care of your money like you will...its pretty simple to take the principle and live off the dividends. But its very tempting to buy four or five houses like he did and have something like 750k a year in mortgage payments. One main home and maybe a vacation home but if you want to go somewhere its so easy to rent a house or a hotel.

I understand to us its 'a game' but to those that dedicate their lives to it, its not a game to them...its work...lets not discount how they choose to make a living.

Pity? PITY!?!?

Please.

The guy made 10's of millions of dollars playing a game. He squandered 10's of millions. When most people struggle to make 1 million in their LIFETIME, this guy did it over, and over, and over again. And has nothing to show for it.

I mean, atleast with boxers you know that so many repeated blows to the head leaves them a little...soft in the head after awhile. But a WR?

Children with 4 different women? This is hardly the Travis Henry school of child rearing, but bringing a child into this world when you had no intention of being with the chick is terrible. But to do it 4 FREAKIN' TIMES!!!!?!?!?!? Ever heard of a condom? Or, maybe...marrying?

This doesn't sound like a story. Just a serial "look how the mighty have fallen". People seem to get off on that. Like stupid rubberneckers on the thruway when there's an accident. TO brought some of that on himself with his lavish routine while he was playing, and how "great" he was. So some of it is self-inflicted. He built himself up to a certain level, and now that he has fallen so far down apparently we are supposed to feel sorry for it?

What's the point of the article, exactly?

Getting off of steroids certainly brings on depression. As does losing the celebrity status that alot of NFL players seem to encounter when they eventually retire. It is not an easy transition to "normal" life, when for the 30+ years prior you were told otherwise by anyone you came in contact with. And, oh...that buzz of playing in front of thousands of adoring fans. Imagine having your whole life pulled out from under your feet. Especially when you make a gazillion amount of dollars, and tens of thousand of people know you, chicks are crazy about you, everyone telling you how great you are....then it is all gone.

Tough transition, I'll admit. But what, am I supposed to feel sorry for that success?

Get in line. Welcome to the real world, "TO".

Nobody will take care of your money like you will...its pretty simple to take the principle and live off the dividends. But its very tempting to buy four or five houses like he did and have something like 750k a year in mortgage payments. One main home and maybe a vacation home but if you want to go somewhere its so easy to rent a house or a hotel.

But his financial advisors promised those houses would be his dividends. They swore up and down I'm sure that he'd get rent and make money. All the while pocketing their brokerage fees.

I wont absolve him from all fault but I do feel bad about a system that churns out barely literate, emotionally childish guys and leaves them regularly with no money and extreme health issues. They bear the bulk of the fault but it is a depressing situation to see play out over and over.

Not debating who's at fault for his current situation, but I feel bad for the guy. Thought he was great on and off the field his one year here.

It can't be easy going from having it all to having nothing. I always got a kick out of his antics. Just think he was too honest about his feelings at times and the media ran with it.

TO needs to grow the F&$K up. For real.

How you got 4 kids and not bond with any of them. He is blessed to have 4 kids.

I dont care how much money Kita or all the hood rats got. That's his fault. They saw a sucker and they got him. Sad to say but its true.

The real issue is another 4 African -american children that his little contact with their father. Forget the gold digger moms and I hope that they get the monthly amount reduced, which would be fair considering that TO is not going to be making NFL dollars no more.

sometimes you got to hit rock bottom before you come back up. They should do the TO show now, not when he is on top of the world but struggling like most people.

I dont care how much money Kita or all the hood rats got. That's his fault. They saw a sucker and they got him. Sad to say but its true.

The real issue is another 4 African -american children that his little contact with their father. Forget the gold digger moms and I hope that they get the monthly amount reduced, which would be fair considering that TO is not going to be making NFL dollars no more.

sometimes you got to hit rock bottom before you come back up. They should do the TO show now, not when he is on top of the world but struggling like most people.

Now, THAT is the best idea I've heard, yet. :thumbsup:

People just Love to look at the car crash.

Edited by Bruce

i had dinner with coy wire once and he told me that the nfl requires everyone to go through an investment seminar to try to teach players how to manage their money so that they dont end up broke. coy said most of the players paid no attention, they joked around during the seminar, played with their phones, or simply slept at their desk, they couldnt wait for it to be over

owens says he was too trusting. maybe. but if youre going to invest some of those big bucks why on earth dont you just invest half and put the other half into bonds - exactly like small time investors are councelled to do. the obvious answer is hubris and greed

Im sorry, but 10k a month per kid works out to 120k a year. Thats a pretty huge number of REQUIRED dollars. I think its fair to expect them as a human to want to be a part of their kids lives, especially on a financial level, but there are huge numbers of middle class families that support multiple people on less money than that. Im not saying TO should pay $500 a month, but im saying at some level it should be about keeping them fed, clothed, safe, and well taken care of.... far less than 10k, plus moms energy and efforts should have these kids more than setup for future success and current well being. you could hire a full time nanny, send them to private school, and handle all expenses and still be able to save for college... all without touching moms 24 hours worth of efforts to commit to them daily.

maybe im crazy but i think there should be a cap at some level where a kid can be well cared for with the payments from dad in a single parent house - if the father wants to go above that AWESOME, but to legally require 10k a month - coupled with his 4 kids - its his own fault, he should have learned his lesson the first 3 times.... but its excessive.

In many jurisdictions, offspring are entitled to enjoy the standard of living that that the parent enjoys. It doesn't matter that he is not the custodial parent. It won't matter that he is not producing unless he can prove that he no longer has the capacity to produce at that financial level.

The fact that he is trying to get back into football, and has business ventures, and is promoting television shows, and is acting, etc., is acually working against him.

It's a sad paradox.

Does the article confirm that he didn't fight for custody of any of those children and lose?

And suppose a father (or mother, for that matter) who is paying child support did fight for custody then lost, is he/she then subject to the same draconian standards of mandated "capacity" payments??