If the Bills do not select Upshaw in the first round...

We'll obviously be able to tell what defense they're running by the time free agency rolls around. And in regards to Upshaw's draft status, I do believe that he's worth a top 10 pick. He was the most impactful defensive player in that championship game. My question is whether he fits at all into 4-3 defense. Definitely doesn't have the ideal size to be a DE, maybe more of a WLB. The guy the Bills should really go after is Coples, maybe even consider trading up a few spots to make sure he's there for them. He's everything the Bills need, IMO.

That's what I thought, the alternative nickel look being 3-3 instead of the 4-2 we ran. That's why I started the even vs odd front talk instead of 34 vs 43

Bryon Scott being one of the 2 LBs typically

Edited by Carey Bender

If we take Whitney Mercilus it will still leave them guessing because he has the athleticism to be a 3-4 OLB and a 4-3 DE.

I would love that pick. Led CFB in sacks last year, tons of forced fumbles and hits for loss. He's got the size to play both positions, and is not a "tweener." He generally played DE, but also played a little standing up.

If we take Whitney Mercilus it will still leave them guessing because he has the athleticism to be a 3-4 OLB and a 4-3 DE.

Like your off season signings and draft btw.

We'll obviously be able to tell what defense they're running by the time free agency rolls around. And in regards to Upshaw's draft status, I do believe that he's worth a top 10 pick. He was the most impactful defensive player in that championship game. My question is whether he fits at all into 4-3 defense. Definitely doesn't have the ideal size to be a DE, maybe more of a WLB. The guy the Bills should really go after is Coples, maybe even consider trading up a few spots to make sure he's there for them. He's everything the Bills need, IMO.

I like to watch interviews of the draft prospect along with watching the game video. I have to tell you, I get a real bad feeling about Coples after watching him in the interviews I've seen. There's two impressions that come to mind and that's "stoner" and "slacker". Now maybe slow speech pattern and sleepy eyes are just part of his natural body language, but I just don't see hard driving, leadership material.

If they do go defense, I think this team needs to go after a guy with not only great talent defensively, but also has great leadership qualities. As good as Dareus looks, he doesn't seem like a natural vocal leader.

If they select Upshaw in the 1st Round, they better damn well trade back to do so. He is NFL starting material, but not a top 10 pick - those should be elite prospects. There is nothing elite about Upshaw - he's a reach at 15, let alone 10. He should go mid 20's to high 2nd round...

I kind of agree. I think he will be an above average player, but he doesn't look elite. I'm not sure who will be available when they pick, but I hope they don't reach like they have for so many years, trying to fill holes. Unfortunately, it might be a LT, or another CB.

Anyone know much about Nick Perry? He may rise up the board pretty quick.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

We have Upshaw at #13 right now. http://www.drafttek.com/

We also have him as a 3-4 OLB, now even on our list of 4-3 LB's.

Selecting Upshaw (or Mario Williams in FA) signals we're retaining the 3-4.

Mario Williams was a 4-3 DE coming out of college and was a 4-3 DE in Houston until the switch to a 3-4. A 4-3 DE position is his natural one. Wade envisioned him as the Houston version of Demarcus Ware, but he was hurt too early to tell.

I would love that pick. Led CFB in sacks last year, tons of forced fumbles and hits for loss. He's got the size to play both positions, and is not a "tweener." He generally played DE, but also played a little standing up.

Like your off season signings and draft btw.

Mercilus played just as his name this year. The guy is relentless. He makes a ton of plays behind the line and creates turnovers. He reminds me of Terrell Suggs a bit and is just the kind of player this defense needs, a game changer.

Thanks about the off-season hopes I have. I think it would put us right where we need to be and back in the playoffs for the first time in a long time.

Look...this isnt that complicated.....making Dave Wanstaddt the DC signaled the 4-3.....because he is GOOD at it

- The strength of the 4-3 is your DT's.....and we have 2 dominant ones

- We did not have the 3-4 linebackers needed so moving to a defense where you need one less linebacker also makes sense

This is not complicated

Man i can see that you haven't been posting here long & would like to welcome you to the site !! But if you think that there are any Bills fans (for the most part) that can comprehend what you type i'm sorry to tall you you be be disappointed !!!

Reading Comprehension is not at the fore front of this blog . Matter of fact that is on the bottom of the list . Picking up on misspelled words & correcting your English is a higher priority than actually TRYING to understand from the posters view the point that you are trying to get across .

Just a heads up so good luck & welcome :worthy: to TBD rookie !!!!!

Yes welcome to the board. As T says some people are just going to be argumentative and want to pick fights… or make more of an effort to not understand your point than to try and understand your point.

We all do it to some degree because sometimes when you visit the sight, you're not really in a good mood.

Just don't take anything personally.

Mario would be clearly returning to 43 end if he leaves Houston. He would give some options to move him around, but he would be as near a pure 43 pickup as I can imagine, with some roaming the field tendencies to get mismatches.

This has been stated here a few times. While I agree he's not a textbook 3-4 OLB based on his stature, the fact remains that he had 5 sacks in 5 games as a 3-4 OLB.

I'm curious why you think that teams wouldn't be interested in him as an OLB.

I kind of agree. I think he will be an above average player, but he doesn't look elite. I'm not sure who will be available when they pick, but I hope they don't reach like they have for so many years, trying to fill holes. Unfortunately, it might be a LT, or another CB.

Anyone know much about Nick Perry? He may rise up the board pretty quick.

My two favorite pass rushers so far are the kid from USC and the kid from Clemson.

They both like the total package to me… speed, power, quickness, athleticism, polished technique, high motor…

The Bills are not likely to announce whether or not they are switching to the 43 defense. To do so would not be smart. But if they do not select Upshaw with their 1st., that could signal that they are moving to the 43. The reason is simple. With the 43, they need more speed at OLB than Upshaw can deliver. He is a 34 OLB. If they do select Upshaw, the opposite would seem to be true. It likely means they are staying with the 34 as their base defense.

They could go real hybrid with 43 DEs and 34 OLBs that would be a sick D with 4 pass rushers on the field at all times. Could you imagine this D (total fantasy)

LDE JJ Watt

DT Suh

DT Dareus

RDE JPP

SLB Clay Matthews

MLB Patrick Willis

WLB Aldon Smith

The Bills are not likely to announce whether or not they are switching to the 43 defense. To do so would not be smart. But if they do not select Upshaw with their 1st., that could signal that they are moving to the 43. The reason is simple. With the 43, they need more speed at OLB than Upshaw can deliver. He is a 34 OLB. If they do select Upshaw, the opposite would seem to be true. It likely means they are staying with the 34 as their base defense.

Too much Princess Bride? :rolleyes:

Ok Mr Reading Comprehension, it's a circular argument. If they don't take Upshaw, it COULD mean any number of things. It could mean that Buddy doesn't like Upshaw. It could mean they take a WR and go 3-4 OLB in the 2nd or 3rd. Or 87 other things, only one of which is a move to the 4-3. I mean, if I wanted to couch a post with "could signal" and "likey means" you could turn vaporware into wine..

Thank You! :worthy:

Courtney Upshaw, Outside Linebacker, Alabama

I know many of you will want a left tackle here and Jonathan Martin is on the board, but Demetrius Bell can be very good if healthy.

Getting a pass-rusher is something Buffalo has struggled to do for years. Shawne Merriman was a bust at outside linebacker and now the team is playing with out-of-position inside 'backers on the edge. The 2012 draft is weak on pass-rushers, but Courtney Upshaw has the exciting blend of athleticism and playmaking skill to warrant a Top 10 pick.

Upshaw will step in and be an immediate starter, with the task of attacking Tom Brady twice each season. He has Terrell Suggs-like talent and athleticism. Bills' fans should love this selection. :thumbsup:

Who really gives a crap whether we play 3-4, 4-3, 5-2, 6-1, or 7-0 AS LONG AS WE GET QUALITY PLAYERS WHO CAN PLAY AND WIN, WIN, WIN!

Edited by mabden