Starting a franchise with 5 players...

deep2evans

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1- A.Rodgers (QB obviously)

2- Shu (Stuffs the run and interior pass rush)

3- Jake Long (Best LT in the game, protects the QB and anchors the O-line)

4- Jason Pierre Paul (Young elite up and coming pass rusher)

5- Von Miller (Young elite pass rusher)

Its all about the QB, protecting the QB, and getting to your other teams QB. A D-line of Shu, Paul, and Miller gets to the QB. While Rodgers is the best QB in the game and Long is the best at protecting his blind side.

Love the question. Here's my five:

1. Rodgers - best QB in the league, plenty of prime years ahead of him. The only QBs currently in his league are all much older, so this one's a no-brainer.

2. Megatron - best WR in the league, very young, physically in a class by himself. There are other elite WRs in the same tier of productivity as Calvin, but he really stands out as the prototypical dominant WR.

3. Revis - given Nnamdi's age, Revis is by far the best CB in the league going forward. CB is a position where there are few true difference makers, but Revis is a big-time difference maker.

4. Jared Allen - maybe not the greatest choice for a pass rusher, given his age, but he was the first guy who popped into my head. I'm actually not even sure how old he is without looking it up, but he's definitely been around a while. I do think he's the most consistently dominant edge defender I've seen over the last few years, but if he's too far past 30, I'd probably have to change this to someone like Aldon Smith, Mario Williams, Bryan Orakpo, etc. I like guys who can play either 3-4 or 4-3 effectively. Clay Mathews would be a major consideration if I knew I was going to run a 3-4.

5. Gronkowski - Could have gone a lot of ways here. Thought about Mangold or an LT, but Rodgers has shown he doesn't need an elite line to succeed, so I'd rather get an elite/game-changing player at a very scarce position. Thought about going with Ngata or Raji, because I love mammoth NTs who are also athletic, and I firmly believe in building a D from the inside out, but given that I've already got Rodgers and Megatron, I figured that if I also bring in an elite TE, it doesn't matter if my D stops the run or not, because we'll always be playing with the lead. Main argument against this pick is that while Gronk had the best year (ever!) this year, it's hard to argue from a skill standpoint that he's appreciably better than Gates, Graham, Vernon Davis, or even Aaron Hernandez, who is significantly faster than Gronk, if not as good a blocker. Still, that's a very short list of game-changers at the TE position, and obviously I'm going to take the one who is coming off the best TE season in NFL history, and in only his 2nd year to boot.

For the record, I did seriously consider Marcell Dareus in the fifth spot.

No order, the same players as mentioned by most. All will be in their primes for the next 5 years.

Rodgers

Thomas

Calvin Johnson

Suh

Jason Pierre Paul

Graham or Gronk are tempting but so are a bunch of guys. Too bad there aren't any Bills mentioned. Dareus could be at this time next year, the problem is that I can't think of anyone else who might have a shot. Never mind top 5 players, how about pro bowlers?

1986 called and wants its mentality back.

People forget that the ravens offense was top half of the league with dilfer. Take out the month of September (roughly) when they went a few games without a td and look at October through the superbowl and it was a pretty good offense in fact. on the flip side, the greatest show on turf had a top ten defense.

The truth is you need to be balanced, and even the weak side of the ball has to play top ten caliber (atleast during the stretch)

People forget that the ravens offense was top half of the league with dilfer. Take out the month of September (roughly) when they went a few games without a td and look at October through the superbowl and it was a pretty good offense in fact. on the flip side, the greatest show on turf had a top ten defense.

The truth is you need to be balanced, and even the weak side of the ball has to play top ten caliber (atleast during the stretch)

Sure, but if you're given a chance to pick any 5 players in the NFL to start your team with and you don't take a single QB, you're insane. Even in the hypothetical.