We only have 2 DE 43 / OLB 34 pass rushers

After reading the transcript of what Buddy is looking for in an outside backer or 43 DE he said 6'4" 260.

We only have 2 of those. Merriman and Kelsay are both 6'4" and about 260. Everyone else is either way to short and light or way

to heavy. You need a least 2 OLB's in the 34 and at least 2 DE in the 43. We only have two and one is old and the other is always hurt.

The light ones become ILB and the heavy become 43 DT. If we decide to go hybrid some of those big guys like Spencer Johnson Dwan Edwards and Alex Carrington

now become 34 DE or 43 DT. The point I am making is Buddy is a straight shooter. We have to look who in FA and the draft match that criteria and figure we need 5

of those on our roster minimum. Look for a lot of changes in personnel this year. Buddy also said he feels we need to simplify our defense. It seems to me our roster

is overloaded with ILB's and 34DE/ 43 DT's. Take the best of those, cut the rest and bring in at least 1 FA and 2 draft picks and see what happens.

Edited by Chris in Syracuse

(Oh, and OLB's who can play 4-3).

Well we have to assume Barnett and Sheppard are both starting next year. Barnett will line up wherever their scheme has the most challenging pass-coverage assignments, and Sheppard will get the other spot.

Either way, therefore, ONE OLB is settled IF they are playing 4-3.

Bottom line is that 5 spots on the front 7 are settled. The first four are Williams, Dareus, Barnett, and Shepppard.

The "fifth" is Kelsay and Merriman combined.

After reading the transcript of what Buddy is looking for in an outside backer or 43 DE he said 6'4" 260.

We only have 2 of those. Merriman and Kelsay are both 6'4" and about 260. Everyone else is either way to short and light or way

to heavy. You need a least 2 OLB's in the 34 and at least 2 DE in the 43. We only have two and one is old and the other is always hurt.

The light ones become ILB and the heavy become 43 DT. If we decide to go hybrid some of those big guys like Spencer Johnson Dwan Edwards and Alex Carrington

now become 34 DE or 43 DT. The point I am making is Buddy is a straight shooter. We have to look who in FA and the draft match that criteria and figure we need 5

of those on our roster minimum. Look for a lot of changes in personnel this year. Buddy also said he feels we need to simplify our defense. It seems to me our roster

is overloaded with ILB's and 34DE/ 43 DT's. Take the best of those, cut the rest and bring in at least 1 FA and 2 draft picks and see what happens.

All part of the master plan to "get bigger". They have accomplished this. Too bad it made the defense worse and not better.

Sounds like guys like moats and batten are as good as gone.

Don't count on Merriman.

So, even assuming kelsay is healthy enough to be a 4-3 DE for an entire year, we need a starter on the other side and at least 2 more back-ups.

(Oh, and OLB's who can play 4-3).

Yes don't count on Merriman...I can see sliding Moats inside atleast for depth and special teams, Batten out, Andra David out, Reggie Torbor out. We NEED to hold onto Kelsay AND get someone on the other side. In my opinion we should sign veteran(s) DE and draft OLB

The Bills took a chance on a DC who was the Dolphins LB coach before becoming the Bills defensive coordinator. Dunno why they wasted two years on the guy when he stunk it up so bad his first year. I mean fielding a defense that was historically the worst defense against the run in franchise history should have been enough of an embarrassment to the team to fire him after one year.

Anyway, the teams new DC is an old 4-3 man with a solid history of building a good defense. Lets see if he can finally get this franchise to field a defense that can stop the run, AND rush the passer. I expect some early draft picks and free agents to help with both.

All part of the master plan to "get bigger". They have accomplished this. Too bad it made the defense worse and not better.

Getting bigger up front was very important. Remember when we ran the tampa 2 our guys were small and athletic

but were constantly giving up a ton of rush yards. Now we have a bigger front line but we don't have the proper personnel

at OLB. We are set at DL but we have no NT. Heard is serviceable and Troup is always hurt. If we stay 43 we are all set at DL

but we have only one DE in Kelsay. and one OLB in Merriman and that is it. Everyone else is too big or too small. Nix and the stache have

a lot to figure out.

Getting bigger up front was very important. Remember when we ran the tampa 2 our guys were small and athletic

but were constantly giving up a ton of rush yards. Now we have a bigger front line but we don't have the proper personnel

at OLB. We are set at DL but we have no NT. Heard is serviceable and Troup is always hurt. If we stay 43 we are all set at DL

but we have only one DE in Kelsay. and one OLB in Merriman and that is it. Everyone else is too big or too small. Nix and the stache have

a lot to figure out.

You mean back when the Bills ranked 10 - 15 spots higher in total defense? Maybe it's time to consider that developing a defense based on stopping the pass is how you win in today's NFL.

I just posted this in the other thread. Mario Williams and Mathis kiwinuka. Make it happen.

Absolutely :thumbsup: did some looking and didn't see Kiwi as FA but he was available last offseason and we should have signed him then. It sounds like Nix is looking for pass rushing Ends and OLBs so its looks like 34OLBs and 43DEs which should be a ton of fun kind of like the Giants and Broncos. I don't think we can get both FA so I'd go with Williams and then draft Dan'ta Hightower in the 2nd (who can play inside and out and rush the passer and who I think is better than Upshaw) and Fellow Upstater Chandler Jones out of Syracuse who is rated equally at DE and OLB.

Front 7

LDE Kris Kelsey 6'4" 270 (after he gets back to DE)

DT Marcell Dareus 6'3" 340

DT Kyle Williams 6'1" 301

RDE Marrio Williams 6'6" 283

SLB Don'ta Hightower 6'4" 260

MLB Kelvin Sheppard 6'2" 250

WLB Chandler Jones 6'5" 265

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Absolutely :thumbsup: did some looking and didn't see Kiwi as FA but he was available last offseason and we should have signed him then. It sounds like Nix is looking for pass rushing Ends and OLBs so its looks like 34OLBs and 43DEs which should be a ton of fun kind of like the Giants and Broncos. I don't think we can get both FA so I'd go with Williams and then draft Dan'ta Hightower in the 2nd (who can play inside and out and rush the passer and who I think is better than Upshaw) and Fellow Upstater Chandler Jones out of Syracuse who is rated equally at DE and OLB.

Front 7

:thumbsup: but I sincerely doubt Hightower last til the 2nd

Edited by bowery4

good thing Buddy has been drafting to fill those criteria in his 3 years with the team

maybe those parameters came to him in a dream while he was napping during free agency

Front 7

Sure, IF they sign Mario Williams of which I am skeptical. I think Kelsay looked better this year playing lighter than he did at 270. Also, why don't you think that Barnett can play the weakside OLB in a 4-3? I think he would fit in well. Finally, I'd consider giving Moats a shot at the strong side OLB. I have a feeling that he can play this position.

Edited by vincec

I have faith that with Buddies defensive back ground , the Wannstedt promotion , The UB coach (Inge) hiring & Doug Whaley , the Bills will have a solution to add good players like they have been doing .

Weather it be in FA , UDFA , the draft & those players that get released by other teams i think the guys will Git R Done & our D & the over all team will be much improved this season !! Go Bills !!!

Actually, the Bills have only one 4-3 DE and 7 DTs > 300 lbs. Kelsay is the only 4-3 DE. Merriman is finished.... the experiment is over, time to get over him and move on. By my count, the Bills need to bring in at least six 4-3 DEs to, essentially, audition for 3 jobs... fulltime starter at RDE and a backup, and a near ready LDE to backup Kelsay for a year or two and take over fulltime after that. So, 3 of the 7 DTs on the roster will likely be gone in this next dismantling of the defense.... unless of course, they jump on the Jenny Craig train and lose between 35-55 lbs. and can come off the edge lightning fast.

Of course the defense will need 3-4 outside LBs that can play in the 4-3 and drop in coverage. Another year of this hybrid thing will bring yet another season of futility.

The final piece of the Bills puzzle on defense is instilling, or infusing, a megadose of manhood. The defense has played like a bunch of pansies the last few years, showing no inclination to get physical. I want to see high value personal fouls, not stupid ones. Ones that put players out of the game. If you're gonna get flagged and fined, get your frickin money's worth.

Chan Gailey's mantra is "this is a physical game for physical people". How many damn times do we have to hear htat repeated in videos? Well, Chan, put up or forever STFU.