David Lee, new QB coach

QB Bills

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since there's no true quarterback on the roster, I don't see any pluses or minuses on the hire. Can anyone help a starter that has had accuracy problems his entire college and NFL career? I don't think so. Fitz is what he is. Surrounded by 10 quality players he could bring average too slightly above play to the team. After Fitz our "quality" at the position really nosedives. Our backup is a chump, and I'm being kind. We have NO true #3, we have a multi-positional bust in Brad Smith. Smith added nothing to the Bills last year, in the return game, the "wildcat", or as a receiver. Yet he is our #3. I can't even imagine the horror of the quarterback position if even Fitz went down for an extended time. So, the Lee hire will probably not even matter in the current quarterback dept.

How many teams have a "true #3"? Holy crap it is going to be a looooong off season.

Let me start off by saying I'm an Ole Miss alum, so I had to sit through Lee's offense all year this year. Lee was terrible with our team and to beat all he was terrible in his job before Ole Miss. This hire leaves an awful taste in my mouth.

Honestly I know nothing about the guy, and I don't know that I put a ton of importance on the QB coach unless we draft a young talent, but...

The way you describe his "resume" seems to be in tune with how the Bills select their coaches...

Mularkey, Edwards, Jauron, ect...

In fairness...While some might even include Gailey and Wanny, I do actually like them as coaches and they have FAR more experience than the rest of the recent Bills coaching dumpster. Perhaps Nix is actually able to attract real coaches to Buffalo...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Since there's no true quarterback on the roster, I don't see any pluses or minuses on the hire. Can anyone help a starter that has had accuracy problems his entire college and NFL career? I don't think so. Fitz is what he is. Surrounded by 10 quality players he could bring average too slightly above play to the team. After Fitz our "quality" at the position really nosedives. Our backup is a chump, and I'm being kind. We have NO true #3, we have a multi-positional bust in Brad Smith. Smith added nothing to the Bills last year, in the return game, the "wildcat", or as a receiver. Yet he is our #3. I can't even imagine the horror of the quarterback position if even Fitz went down for an extended time. So, the Lee hire will probably not even matter in the current quarterback dept.

Brad Smith is not our number 3, he was our "emergency" QB if our #1 and 2 went down, so that they didn't need to use an extra roster spot there. If one of them were to go down for a game or more Levi Brown or someone else would have been brought in.

No argument that Smith was a disappointment this year though. I thought they could have worked the wildcat in more, especially when FJ when down. That was where he is at his best. He should never have been used as a #2 WR, the guy can't catch.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

And now there will be two!

(I am assuming David Lee is South Korean, no? :unsure:)

Stan Kwan is probably Chinese-American… based on Michelle Kwan being the same… although there are a few surnames common to both Koreans and Chinese.

But David Lee? I heard that he is North Korean and that's why I was so surprised that he was hired by the Bills.

I had read that all North Koreans have to adhere to a mandatory 90 days of grieving and public sadness for the passing of the "Great Leader."

I also heard that he was weeping during his interview but the writer posited no theory on what he was crying about.

• 1 month later...

I read this Rodney McKissic article in the Buffalo News about one month ago.

http://www.buffalone...ticle726128.ece

It really stuck in my head and I was surprised when I didn't see it posted and linked here… particularly because while most agree that Fitz needs to improve his accuracy (and I'm not talking completion percentage), many people think that even though Fitz is very smart and a consummate professional that he won't be able to throw downfield with improved accuracy as time passes.

At the time of his hiring, many people made note of the fact that the Bills new QB Coach David Lee was a "Wildcat Guru" and was instrumental in the re-introduction of that offense to the NFL.

Other than that most Bills fans were dismissive of Lee because of his association with Chad Henne and the general belief that the Bills don't hire coaches of any consequence.

And yet when former QB Coach George Cortez found another job this offseason no one found it odd. His departure almost passed without comment. The question of course is whether Cortez was asked to look elsewhere for employment or if he left the Bills of his own volition.

There is a narrative and a subtext to McKissic's piece which I think is very interesting. Hope you guys think so too.

Lee's message to Fitzpatrick is that he's here to help him develop as a passer and fine-tune his mechanics.

"I think the critical thing is that he needs to be receptive and understand I do want to help in these areas of fundamentals," Lee said. " 'When I'm setting my feet, can David Lee improve me and get me better when those things are happening?' And if he has an attitude of 'yes' then I think we can make some strides."

Said Gailey, "He (David Lee) is a great technician, he understands the game extremely well and we're fortunate to have a guy of David's caliber coaching the quarterbacks. I think he'll bring a great deal of help to Fitz and to Tyler [Thigpen] and to all our quarterbacks, whoever they might be. From the fact that he is such a technical coach he knows the ins and outs of playing the quarterback position… "

Said David Lee, "He (Fitz) has mastered 'funny body' throws as good as anybody I've ever seen. When things break down or the hot's coming and you can't set your feet, he really gives the guy a chance to catch the football. Ironically, it seems like when he does miss it's when the protection is the cleanest and he can execute the fundamentals the best."

Said David Lee, "He's really accurate. We had the guys in Dallas and when things broke down ... Tony Romo could make something happen with not being able to set his feet," said Lee, who worked with the Cowboys from 2003 to '06. "This guy's [Fitzpatrick] really good at that. I mean that's a real plus .‚.‚. because you can't coach that stuff. There are no fundamentals when things break down and you can't set your feet. Guys can either hit those passes or they can't and he can."

Lee's forte is teaching and fine-tuning mechanics. He coached Romo in Dallas and Chad Pennington in Miami. After he took a job at Ole Miss, Lee tutored Rebels alum and eventual Super Bowl MVP Eli Manning. Two years ago, Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow credited Lee for helping him change his mechanics at the Senior Bowl.

Said Gailey, "He (David Lee) is huge on [mechanics] and he's very good at that and he understands the throwing motion and he understands all that goes with that,"a lot of people think it's arm strength, well it's not. It's footwork."

Said David Lee, "It's like golf. If you have a bad swing, a fundamentally bad swing, if you don't get help and somebody doesn't help you fundamentally correct that, you can go out and hit a million balls and you just keep hitting them badly, but if your fundamentals are good you have a chance to get better."

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Very interesting - thanks for posting SJBF! Hoping for noticeable results....

You're welcome.

I'm pretty annoyed this was merged into an existing topic when the point of this post was that unless I'm mistaken the Buffalo News article had never been posted/linked on this site.

That in itself makes this post a new topic.

The merging of my post with the old thread gives short shrift and obscures the fact that this post is completely different from the older one.

I'm all about merging posts… when it makes sense.

Stan Kwan is probably Chinese-American… based on Michelle Kwan being the same… although there are a few surnames common to both Koreans and Chinese.

But David Lee? I heard that he is North Korean and that's why I was so surprised that he was hired by the Bills.

I had read that all North Koreans have to adhere to a mandatory 90 days of grieving and public sadness for the passing of the "Great Leader."

I also heard that he was weeping during his interview but the writer posited no theory on what he was crying about.

I know your being sarcastic but David Lee is lily white.

link

:thumbdown: This was a bad hire. I can't find any runaway successes anywhere on Lee's resume. Sounds to me like another one of Chan's buddies needed a cushy Job. I don't believe Lee can improve Fitz's accuracy one iota. I don't believe that ANYONE can improve Fitz's accuracy. I hope i'm wrong, but it seems to me that this guy is another monkey-wrench thrown into the works. If anything, he'll make our offense suck even more.

Here's a name you may be hearing in NFL circles soon. Dave Yost University of Missouri Quarterbacks coach, and OC. Check out the link, and then tell me this guy doesn't sound like MONEY. Somebody PLEASE clue Chan in on this fella!

Edited by #34fan

:thumbdown: This was a bad hire.

In your opinion.

FWIW according to Adam Schefter, David Lee chose the Bills over the New York Jets.

Lee worked under new Jets Offensive Coordinator Tony Sparano for 3 years in Miami and worked with Sparano on Bill Parcells' Dallas staff for 4 years.

Interesting that Lee picked Gailey and Fitz over Ryan and Sanchez.

You're welcome.

I'm pretty annoyed this was merged into an existing topic when the point of this post was that unless I'm mistaken the Buffalo News article had never been posted/linked on this site.

That in itself makes this post a new topic.

The merging of my post with the old thread gives short shrift and obscures the fact that this post is completely different from the older one.

I'm all about merging posts… when it makes sense.

This article was linked and discussed. Probably one of the Fitzgibbons threads.

The rehash of that article is appropriate. When i read it originally and i got thinking that something intrigueing is going on here.

I think it's waay too early to call it good or bad hiring. Interesting? Definitive yes.