Aaron Williams Drafted then Andy Dalton

Hsp08

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing wrong with the point that the OP is making here. Dalton helped make the 4th worst team last year into a playoff team. He made the team forget about their former starting QB enough that the owner was willing to go back on his word and trade him instead of letting him go into retirement. Williams (not complaining about the pick), spent time injured this season, and when given the chance to play, played on a defence that had not improved much from being the worst defence last year.

Looking at the choices position/needs wise for both teams, they were both good choices for the Bengals and Bills. Looking in hindsight at BPA, the Bengals got the better player this year. And to compare stats, your comparing the stats of a rookie QB to a journeyman career backup of 7 years. Dalton still has much more potential. But the Bills weren't interested in getting a QB this offseason unless they were going to be a better starter from game 1 then Fitz, and Dalton wasn't expected to come right in and start. If Dalton was drafted by the Bills, he would have spent the year on the bench (with fans begging the coaching staff to put him in once the Bills lost a game)

On a side note, Could you imagine Dalton playing here growing out a giant ginger beard?

Or did he help take the 4th best team in 2009 and turn into the 6th best team in 2011?

The Bengals needed a caretaker QB to walk in and play in 2011. They drafted a caretaker QB that can walk in play in 2011.

The Bengals success had little to do with Dalton. You put Fitzy back on the Bengals and you probably have the same result.

The Ceiling on Dalton is very low. He will never be a Top10 QB in the NFL. Not a great pick for the Bills in any hindsight scenario as it seems you agree.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I know this is easy to say in hindsight but,

The Bills drafted Williams 2nd Round, 34th pick. Guess who went next? Dalton to the Bengals as 35th pick.

While Aaron may yet turn into a solid player, who would have guessed Dalton developing into a solid QB this quick?

Kudos to the Bengals for doing their homework, and yet an another one slips by the Bills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NFL_Draft

He was my pick last year & when it came around to our pick & he was still there i thought it was a slam dunk & i couldn't believe it when we didn't pick him !!

But as i've been informed by Bills fans here stats & a winning record means nothing when choosing a QB for the NFL .

Yes i did think he would be the QB he has become & i think he will do nothing but get better with more playing time !!!!! :nana:

Edited by T master

Where do you even begin with this.....

- Lets start with Andy Dalton.....who is going to be a good QB in this league....I rate him as a Ryan Fitzpatrick with better accuracy. Good for the Bengals BUT you do realize that a. He has a rock solid defense to back him up and b. He had a special wide receiver to throw to. The defense part cannot be stated enough...he had a defense that kept giving him the ball......forced three and outs......kept the team in the game while offense figured it out.....etc etc

now lets wander over to the Bills....which is really the important part of the discussion

- Terrance MgGee cannot seem to shake his injury issues....and when when healthy he was our best corner...but if you cant stay on the field?

- Drayton Florence is a penalty machine who gets creamed when asked to cover big physical wideouts

- Leodis McKelvin was so bad that this former first round pick got BENCHED during the season.....and CANT COVER

- Aaron Williams is a big physical corner that will lay the wood when he hits....do you know how hard it is to find these guys? He was the guy you could take and put on a big physical wideout and that is how they used him....he got hurt this year hampering his development....he carried a 1st round grade and was taken in the 2nd round.

DO YOU SEE WHERE I AM GOING WITH THIS.....Aaron Williams was a more valuable pick to the Bills then Dalton would have been.....we desparately need that big physical corner and we got him. We also got Justin Rogers later which is looking like a pretty good pick as well but Justin will never be confused with a big physical corner.

Why are people labeling guys like this "luxury picks"? I don't get it, it's not like he's a kicker, or just a return man. Aaron Williams was a steal, a first round CB we got in the second round. DB is the most numerous position in football, and one of the hardest for which to find top quality players. We got a solid starter at a key defensive position, how is that a luxury? It's a necessity IMO.

Just about every team takes 1 or 2 DB's in every draft. This was nothing more or less than a solid pick, and Williams could be a starter here for a long time.

Stop making sense, you'll drive away the knuckleheads.

Where do you even begin with this.....

- Lets start with Andy Dalton.....who is going to be a good QB in this league....I rate him as a Ryan Fitzpatrick with better accuracy. Good for the Bengals BUT you do realize that a. He has a rock solid defense to back him up and b. He had a special wide receiver to throw to. The defense part cannot be stated enough...he had a defense that kept giving him the ball......forced three and outs......kept the team in the game while offense figured it out.....etc etc

now lets wander over to the Bills....which is really the important part of the discussion

- Terrance MgGee cannot seem to shake his injury issues....and when when healthy he was our best corner...but if you cant stay on the field?

- Drayton Florence is a penalty machine who gets creamed when asked to cover big physical wideouts

- Leodis McKelvin was so bad that this former first round pick got BENCHED during the season.....and CANT COVER

- Aaron Williams is a big physical corner that will lay the wood when he hits....do you know how hard it is to find these guys? He was the guy you could take and put on a big physical wideout and that is how they used him....he got hurt this year hampering his development....he carried a 1st round grade and was taken in the 2nd round.

DO YOU SEE WHERE I AM GOING WITH THIS.....Aaron Williams was a more valuable pick to the Bills then Dalton would have been.....we desparately need that big physical corner and we got him. We also got Justin Rogers later which is looking like a pretty good pick as well but Justin will never be confused with a big physical corner.

Jesus H Christ, the Jauron-inflicted scars of DB's past just won't heal. It's pretty much negated the possibility for ANY critical, thoughtful analysis about the REALITY of our team. :wallbash:

I've been making all the points you made above in like three other threads this morning. Thank you for saving me the effort!!

Jesus H Christ, the Jauron-inflicted scars of DB's past just won't heal. It's pretty much negated the possibility for ANY critical, thoughtful analysis about the REALITY of our team. :wallbash:

I've been making all the points you made above in like three other threads this morning. Thank you for saving me the effort!!

Bills fans have issues lol

can anyone tell me where all of these probowl corners we are suppose to have .

You don't have to make the Pro Bowl to be considered a very good player. Don't think Talley ever made the Pro Bowl.

Edited by nucci

What's your point? I honestly can't tell what you're getting at.

That the Williams pick was a good one, and that outside of him, we don't have a Corner that can be considered either elite, or very good. And don't be suprised to see a corner in the first three rounds again.

I know this is easy to say in hindsight but,

The Bills drafted Williams 2nd Round, 34th pick. Guess who went next? Dalton to the Bengals as 35th pick.

While Aaron may yet turn into a solid player, who would have guessed Dalton developing into a solid QB this quick?

Kudos to the Bengals for doing their homework, and yet an another one slips by the Bills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NFL_Draft

Dalton did a great job but Williams looks like a really good player too.

After three seasons we can have this discussion.

You don't have to make the Pro Bowl to be considered a very good player. Don't think Talley ever made the Pro Bowl.

Talley made the Pro Bowl in 1990 and again in 1991.

He is the Bills all time leading tackler and he never missed a game in 12 seasons.

I sure hope we draft the next Talley this year.