Aaron Williams Drafted then Andy Dalton

Hsp08

I know this is easy to say in hindsight but,

The Bills drafted Williams 2nd Round, 34th pick. Guess who went next? Dalton to the Bengals as 35th pick.

While Aaron may yet turn into a solid player, who would have guessed Dalton developing into a solid QB this quick?

Kudos to the Bengals for doing their homework, and yet an another one slips by the Bills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NFL_Draft

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills drafted Williams 2nd Round, 34th pick. Guess who went next? Dalton to the Bengals as 35th pick.

While Aaron may yet turn into a solid player, who would have guessed Dalton developing into a solid QB this quick?

Kudos to the Bengals for doing their homework, and yet an another one slips by the Bills.

I don't ever see Andy Dalton being an elite QB. He'll forever be a middle of the pack guy like the Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan and Matt Hasselback types.

So I don't think the Bills missed out on Dalton since Fitzpatrick almost brings as much as him to the table.

and yet an another one slips by the Bills.

The Bills did there homework too, Aaron was a great pick at 34. IMO.

I know this is easy to say in hindsight but

Especially on this message board.It's annoying to keep doing this, to me.

http://en.wikipedia..../2011_NFL_Draft

I don't want to sound negative on Dalton, whom I think will be a good QB in the NFL for some time. He played well this year. He was helped by having a top-flight, amazing WR as a target - essentially, any ball within 4 feet of Green seems to act like it's steel and Green is a magnet - and a good OL.

You do realize that Dalton finished lower than Fitzy in every statistical catagory except INTs? Less TD, less yards, 4% lower completion %, about the same (short) YPA?

Dalton seems to be a value pick for the Bengals, I think it's a bit of a stretch to feel he "slipped by" the Bills at this point.

Williams also seems to be a value pick who will be a fine player. I wouldn't have been upset if we drafted Dalton, but I can't pine for him either.

This is logic.

The Bills drafted Dareus 1st Round, 3rd pick. Guess who went next? Green to the Bengals as the 4th pick.

While Dareus had a strong year for the Bill DL, Green turned into a pro bowler and made Dalton better than he ever would of been on the Bills.

Kudos to the Bengals for following a draft strategy on offence.

and yet an another one slips by the Bills.

The Bills did there homework too, Aaron was a great pick at 34. IMO.

I know this is easy to say in hindsight but

Especially on this message board.It's annoying to keep doing this, to me.

Whatever. Not like we can talk Bills playoff football, pal.

The 2011 Draft was our best in years. You can all say what could've/should've been, but we got guys who played and contributed to the team throughout the whole year. Dalton has done well for Cincy, but I take Aaron Williams again if we're in that slot.

Andy Dalton on the Bills wears a headset and holds a clipboard and sticks out on the side lines like a red headed step child.

Why would you want to waste roster space on a caretaker QB with a ceiling of Trent Dilfer and the basement of Trent Edwards?

Andrew Dalton is not on the shoulda, coulda woulda list.

Now will someone get that red head to the barber shop and have some black stripes dyed into his head in the same design as the Bengals helmet. Please Please Please have this happen.

SORRY BUT I WANTED BROOKS REED ,

Now Brooks Reed is more on the shoulda coulda woulda list than Dalton.

I liked Reed too, and it looks even more like a shoulda coulda woulda because the 2011 draft was loaded with pass rushers but the 2012 draft is pretty weak on pass rushers and loaded with corners.

I still think Aaron Williams was a good pick because of the drop he was rated a late first round pick by most everyone, Going to Baltimore at #27.

He has shown some flashes of excellence if he can stay healthy he could have much more of an impact than Dalton holding a clipboard.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Aaron Williams looked like a luxury pick at #2. But look what happened to our DBs...McGee hurt again, regression from McKelvin (poor coaching IMO), Florence outright sucked, Reggie turned the Corner and hasn't been seen since. Williams was a great pick in hindsight and will be pro bowl once/if the defense gets tough upfront.

Refusing to pay DBs like Greer, Clemens, Whitner, and Winfield caused the Bills to continually expend high draft picks on the same position and miss out on players like Dalton and many others. The issue with our defensive backs is squarely a front office finance management issue but that has had repercussions throughout the roster.

Jason Peters, Pat Williams, Marshawn Lynch, and London Fletcher trades/releases are other instances of mismanagement. By refusing to take care of your producers and you release or trade them and have nothing in return. Resulting in attempting replace players that you developed with unproved draft picks. Compounding this with poor draft strategies the team just suffers for years. We wind up spending high draft picks on RBs and DBs instead of the guys upfront that win every game.

Aaron Williams looked like a luxury pick at #2. But look what happened to our DBs...McGee hurt again, regression from McKelvin (poor coaching IMO), Florence outright sucked, Reggie turned the Corner and hasn't been seen since. Williams was a great pick in hindsight and will be pro bowl once/if the defense gets tough upfront.

Refusing to pay DBs like Greer, Clemens, Whitner, and Winfield caused the Bills to continually expend high draft picks on the same position and miss out on players like Dalton and many others. The issue with our defensive backs is squarely a front office finance management issue but that has had repercussions throughout the roster.

Jason Peters, Pat Williams, Marshawn Lynch, and London Fletcher trades/releases are other instances of mismanagement. By refusing to take care of your producers and you release or trade them and have nothing in return. Resulting in attempting replace players that you developed with unproved draft picks. Compounding this with poor draft strategies the team just suffers for years. We wind up spending high draft picks on RBs and DBs instead of the guys upfront that win every game.

Hopefully Nix was right when he said he has no spending cap/limit like in the recent past. This regime looks like it will keep the productive players. He also sounds like he will use FA to help out. Still build through the draft, but loosen up the strings for FA.One can only hope.

Aaron Williams looked like a luxury pick at #2.

Why are people labeling guys like this "luxury picks"? I don't get it, it's not like he's a kicker, or just a return man. Aaron Williams was a steal, a first round CB we got in the second round. DB is the most numerous position in football, and one of the hardest for which to find top quality players. We got a solid starter at a key defensive position, how is that a luxury? It's a necessity IMO.

Just about every team takes 1 or 2 DB's in every draft. This was nothing more or less than a solid pick, and Williams could be a starter here for a long time.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Is it possible to be called hindsight when both guys are 10 seconds into their careers?

Last I've heard it's a QB driven league. Dalton last I checked took a team to the playoffs, yes with Green's BIG help along with a decent defense which nobody talks about. I am not bashing Aaron, but I do think Dalton is a good pick which obviously differs from other opinions.

Maybe I should have titled it "Would you have picked Dalton over Williams"?

Why do everybody here bash and show so much negativity and so much seriousness? Relax, sorry for posting, geez.

Aaron will be a good pick for us. What I really wanted is that 3rd round pick, when Ryan Mallet was sitting and we missed the boat...A Strong Armed QB in Buffalo!