What do you do with your loose change?

bbb

I will break a buck rather than give exact change, I use the returnable recycle machines that give back quarters/nickels rather than the ones that issue a reciept. I empty my pockets at the end of the day into a large 5 gallon water bottle. every few months I will cash it all in at TD bank and either deposit it or use it as cash for a night out or "my stuff" like Bills tickets or boat hauling/service expenses. I range up to about 200-250 per quarter since my son and his freinds never return any bottles and Sundays are football days and summer weekends means boating and beers.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just go to their website here and sign up to get emails. You don't need to sign up, but they kick you an email every month or so with whomever is doing no-fee cards, so you just go to the nearest location, use the touchscreen to determine the gift card you want to apply your coins to, and it prints out a receipt.

I keep a jar in my office, and right around November the emails heat up and you tend to get more options than usual. I typically have about $150 in coins each year, get either an Amazon or ToysRUs card, and use it for Christmas shopping. You can almost ALWAYS get an Amazon card, and often times an iTunes card.

Note#1: It's not a gift card like you buy at the store. It's just a printed receipt with a code on it you can use online or at the store.

Note #2: I'm in California, so while standing at the machine, I find it especially fun to rub some coins together while mumbling loudly about how I took all this loot off the back of the 99%, and then let out a loud Muwahahahaha while twirling my Snidely Whiplash mustache as I wait for my receipt to print. It feels a little weird at first, but it fills a stereotype and makes most Californians pitch tents in parks.

Excellent!

There's a pizza joint in Killington who's ad says they can turn your unwanted cash into all kinds of tasty meals and drinks. So come here and bring your unwanted cash.

Now for a useful tip...

Wegman's will count (via machines) and give you cash minus 10% which they donate to charity, or give you 100% if you take it as a Wegman's gift card.

I thought Wegman's has the Starcoin that is being talked about with the certificates.

My wife and I usually roll our coins together… to remind us of all the old times and to not take things for granted.

We'll sit opposite each other at the round table with a drink and dump all the coins out of our change jars.

First we make the rough piles, quarters, dimes, nickels, pennies and after we've divvied them that way we make the stacks 40 quarters, 50 dimes, 40 nickels, and 50 pennies.

Banks still give out the paper rolls so we do that too.

It's just a way to do something together, kind of a ritual. We have fun alternately being purposeful and reflective.

Even with hundreds of dollars in change it goes quickly with two people.

I can't imagine paying someone to count my money unless it was my nephews and nieces to give them something to do.

I'll spend money to have fun but not for someone to count my money.

We try to buy something nice that we both want with the payoff.

Looks like this year it'll be a Sodastream.

boring

Couple of things here

I am truly amazed at how many talk about extended hours, branch personal etc at your banks. I have no earthly clue when my bank is open, who works there, who the branch manager is etc.Matter of fact, I dont believe I have been in a bank in at least 5 years..maybe more. I must just be way more hip and cool than all you old farts on this board :worthy::thumbsup:

Next, tennboy had no idea you were in Johnson City. I am in Abingdon from time time..next time i will ping and we can go get a pop.

i agree. i get direct deposit and i dont feel the need to visit the bank.

Couple of things here

I am truly amazed at how many talk about extended hours, branch personal etc at your banks. I have no earthly clue when my bank is open, who works there, who the branch manager is etc.Matter of fact, I dont believe I have been in a bank in at least 5 years..maybe more. I must just be way more hip and cool than all you old farts on this board :worthy::thumbsup:

Next, tennboy had no idea you were in Johnson City. I am in Abingdon from time time..next time i will ping and we can go get a pop.

I am meeting my mom and Dad in Abingdon on Monday. It's roughly the midway point between us.