Lost in the hubbub of today's presser…

According to JW's article today about the Nix Press Conference, apparently "Nix wouldn't go into detail, but said there will likely be changes to the defensive coaching staff."

http://sports.yahoo....ug=ap-bills-nix

I thought this was largely overlooked and worthy of its own thread.

I know there have been calls to replace D-line Coach Giff Smith and D-backs Coach George Catavolos.

With a new D-Coordinator in Wannstache, it makes sense that he'd want to get some of his cohorts on the staff.

Might make for some interesting hires.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

According to JW's article today about the Nix Press Conference, apparently "Nix wouldn't go into detail, but said there will likely be changes to the defensive coaching staff."

http://sports.yahoo....ug=ap-bills-nix

I thought this was largely overlooked and worthy of its own thread.

I know there have been calls to replace D-line Coach Giff Smith and D-backs Coach George Catavolos.

With a new D-Coordinator in Wannstache, it makes sense that he'd want to get some of his cohorts on the staff.

Might make for some interesting hires.

Not just get some of his cohorts, but most of the D coaches have strong ties to Chan. It can be tough chart your own course as a DC if your subordinates have stronger ties/loyalty to the HC, and potentially an uncomfortable situation if the DC has to call someone out for not getting it done.

Not just get some of his cohorts, but most of the D coaches have strong ties to Chan. It can be tough chart your own course as a DC if your subordinates have stronger ties/loyalty to the HC, and potentially an uncomfortable situation if the DC has to call someone out for not getting it done.

Then let Wanny pick his own staff.

Good. Let's bring in guys experienced in the 4-3 and settle on one system once and for all.

It will be a 3-4, nickel hybrid again I bet! Buddy said in his presser that the Bills were in nickel 47% of the time. The nickel!

It will be a 3-4, nickel hybrid again I bet! Buddy said in his presser that the Bills were in nickel 47% of the time. The nickel!

Dude. He did not say that. He said "I knew you guys were going to ask that so I looked at the stats of how much we played a four-man front this year and it was 47-percent of the time."

does anyone know if there are coaches available who have worked for wannstadt

Dave Campo was let go today by Dallas, he would have been in Dallas with both Wanny and Chan. Bob Sanders was with Wanny in Miami as linebackers coach.

Edited by Carey Bender

Dude. He did not say that. He said "I knew you guys were going to ask that so I looked at the stats of how much we played a four-man front this year and it was 47-percent of the time."

He actually said exactly that:

On if he prefers a 4-3 or 3-4 defensive look:

I knew you guys were going to ask that so I looked at the stats of how much we played a four-man front this year and it was 47-percent of the time. Forty-seven percent of the time we were in nickel, and when we were in nickel we had four down linemen. I watched, all of us did, the playoff games. I watched Houston and Wade Phillips is probably the granddaddy of the 3-4 right now and they played at least 50-percent of the time they had four down linemen. So I’m not so sure that it matters. I think Dave’s (Wannstedt) expertise is more 4-3, but again you’re talking 50-percent of the time we’ll be in that and 50 percent of the time you may be in a three-man rush. And you’re blitzing some. So, I don’t think it’s as big a deal as everyone wants to make it. I know that the one thing that I said before and I think that’s true is that you need to get players that are playmakers and put them in a position where they can play. Now I know that sounds simple but that is the key to it. You take a guy like Von Miller. If you’re a 4-3 team and you put Von Miller down in a three-point stance and have him set the edge on the running game and make him a three-down player it’s not what he does best. So you’ve got to move him around and he’s a pass rusher. I’m just using that (as an example).

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Transcript-General-Manager-Buddy-Nix/037507a7-365d-401e-9d19-477e152d0082 Edited by Carey Bender

I knew you guys were going to ask that so I looked at the stats of how much we played a four-man front this year and it was 47-percent of the time. Forty-seven percent of the time we were in nickel, and when we were in nickel we had four down linemen.I watched, all of us did, the playoff games. I watched Houston and Wade Phillips is probably the granddaddy of the 3-4 right now and they played at least 50-percent of the time they had four down linemen. So I’m not so sure that it matters. I think Dave’s (Wannstedt) expertise is more 4-3, but again you’re talking 50-percent of the time we’ll be in that and 50 percent of the time you may be in a three-man rush. And you’re blitzing some. So, I don’t think it’s as big a deal as everyone wants to make it. I know that the one thing that I said before and I think that’s true is that you need to get players that are playmakers and put them in a position where they can play.

I'm glad he said this and I agree with both the interpretation of his comments and the reasoning behind the thinking.

Several people on this board have been saying the same thing… that the scheme doesn't really matter. It's getting good players and putting them in a position to succeed.

However it seems like a lot of people on this forum are really obsessing about the scheme… especially as a reason to slam the team ("they keep changing/drafting scheme back and forth" or something along those lines).

If the Bills did a better job of drafting good players, the scheme would be a moot point.

Sanders & Catavolos are damn good coaches!! They s/b retained.

So many seem to be on Catavolos. The DB's aren't the problem. Covering receivers for 5 minutes is. There is no pass rush - take care of that and the DBs/Catavolos will look like all-pros / a genius.

How quick people forget how good our DBs have been. For a long time.

Sanders & Catavolos are damn good coaches!! They s/b retained.

So many seem to be on Catavolos. The DB's aren't the problem. Covering receivers for 5 minutes is. There is no pass rush - take care of that and the DBs/Catavolos will look like all-pros / a genius.

My problem with the DBs was that so often they were right on a WR but when the ball came they never turned around to look for it and were either beaten or took a PI penalty. It wasn't just one or two guys either.

Are you thinking mostly sativa or indica?

I don't get it.

Sorry, but I REALLY don't get it. No joke there.

Dude, he did too say that.

I knew you guys were going to ask that so I looked at the stats of how much we played a four-man front this year and it was 47-percent of the time. Forty-seven percent of the time we were in nickel, and when we were in nickel we had four down linemen.I watched, all of us did, the playoff games. I watched Houston and Wade Phillips is probably the granddaddy of the 3-4 right now and they played at least 50-percent of the time they had four down linemen. So I’m not so sure that it matters. I think Dave’s (Wannstedt) expertise is more 4-3, but again you’re talking 50-percent of the time we’ll be in that and 50 percent of the time you may be in a three-man rush. And you’re blitzing some. So, I don’t think it’s as big a deal as everyone wants to make it. I know that the one thing that I said before and I think that’s true is that you need to get players that are playmakers and put them in a position where they can play.

I'm glad he said this and I agree with both the interpretation of his comments and the reasoning behind the thinking.

Several people on this board have been saying the same thing… that the scheme doesn't really matter. It's getting good players and putting them in a position to succeed.

However it seems like a lot of people on this forum are really obsessing about the scheme… especially as a reason to slam the team ("they keep changing/drafting scheme back and forth" or something along those lines).

If the Bills did a better job of drafting good players, the scheme would be a moot point.

That you for quoting Mr. Nix for the Trooth.

Edited by Kevin

Nickel: he could have just said that opposing offenses lined up with 3 WRs 47% of the time.

3-4 vs. 4-3: not particularly meaningful, if when you're in the 3-4 one of your "LBs" (typically Kelsay) has his hand down and otherwise looks to me like he's lined up just like all the other DL.

My problem with the DBs was that so often they were right on a WR but when the ball came they never turned around to look for it and were either beaten or took a PI penalty. It wasn't just one or two guys either.

+ 1