pass rush Monster Margus Hunt

I'm watching the SMU v Pitt bowl game (tape delay) and this kid Margus Hunt from SMU is destroying his opposition and ends up with four sacks and player of the game. He is a discuss thrower from Estonia and didn't play till he got here but at 6'8" 295 and elite strength and athleticism this is guy to keep an eye on. I see him as a 43 end because even though he is huge he is very lean and explosive off the ball with good outside speed rush and inside bullrush and arrives at the ball with nasty intentions. Here is an interesting article I found on him from two years back:

http://www.smu.edu/News/2009/margus-hunt-dmn-2april2009

He has nine blocked field goals and 15 blocks alltogether.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/smu-mustangs/20110922-eatern-block-why-smu-s-margus-hunt-is-the-best-kick-blocker-in-the-country.ece

SMU v Pitt highlights; Hunt # 92

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

How'd the height effect his pass rush at the next level (leverage, balance, etc...) he'd have to be the tallest end in the league, right?

probably but I believe Ed Too-Tall Jones was 6'9" and he did all right. Don't think it will matter much, with his speed and strength he ran through and over Pitt and with another year under his belt he will only get better.

Larsen had talent just no heart for the game and this kid has that and will be a first or second round pick not a 6th.

Yeah, they all do, until they get pancaked by an NFL lineman and then blown up by an NFL fullback. Then they wonder wtf they're doing in an NFL training camp. The dude ain't even ranked in the top 50 DL and he's gonna go in the first two rounds? Reality check. More like I stated... undrafted free agent.

Yeah, they all do, until they get pancaked by an NFL lineman and then blown up by an NFL fullback. Then they wonder wtf they're doing in an NFL training camp. The dude ain't even ranked in the top 50 DL and he's gonna go in the first two rounds? Reality check. More like I stated... undrafted free agent.

Well buffalobillsdraft think he's 9th and he still has a year to go:

DE:

1. Devin Taylor-South Carolina

2. Whitney Mercilus-Illinois

3. Nick Perry-USC

4. Cameron Meredith-Nebraska

5. Alex Okafor-Texas

6. Chandler Jones-Syracuse

7. Brad Madison-Missouri

8. Wes Horton-USC

9. Margus Hunt-SMU

10. John Simon-Ohio State

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2013-rankings-and-scouting-reports/

probably but I believe Ed Too-Tall Jones was 6'9" and he did all right. Don't think it will matter much, with his speed and strength he ran through and over Pitt and with another year under his belt he will only get better.

Right but he was both clearly a huge exception to the rule and played in a much less athletic league. Always worries me when a guy is an all-tine outlier like that

Right but he was both clearly a huge exception to the rule and played in a much less athletic league. Always worries me when a guy is an all-tine outlier like that

Not sure what the bolded means?

Didn't look like his height was a problem, this kid is a real athlete with Olympic aspirations. From what I saw out on the field he is gonna be something and with never playing football till he got to SMU the sky is the limit for him. They're moving to the Big East this year so hopefully I will get to watch him some more to get a complete opinion on him.

Not sure what the bolded means?

Outlier

If a person is so far from what is considered an ideal body type then there are concerns about how that will affect their effectiveness as a player.

For an O-lineman, you would be concerned that the overly-tall player would not be able to get proper pad level to block opponents… that opponents could forklift the player back into the quarterback or easily rip underneath him.

For a D-lineman there would be concerns about being cut block too easily or having blockers get underneath the player to get movement off the line of scrimmage.

At 6'9" Jonathan Ogden and Jared Gaither are outliers.

At 5'10" Elvis Dumervil is an outlier.

Outlier

If a person is so far from what is considered an ideal body type then there are concerns about how that will affect their effectiveness as a player.

For an O-lineman, you would be concerned that the overly-tall player would not be able to get proper pad level to block opponents… that opponents could forklift the player back into the quarterback or easily rip underneath him.

For a D-lineman there would be concerns about being cut block too easily or having blockers get underneath the player to get movement off the line of scrimmage.

At 6'9" Jonathan Ogden and Jared Gaither are outliers.

At 5'10" Elvis Dumervil is an outlier.

Thanks, never heard of that.

I think measurables can be overrated; for me if the guy demonstrates he can play he can play. I remember when Freeny came out and everyone said he was too short and small but I knew he'd be great because he made plays all day at Syracuse. There are plenty of others and I think Margus will be one of them.

I think measurables can be overrated; for me if the guy demonstrates he can play he can play. I remember when Freeny came out and everyone said he was too short and small but I knew he'd be great because he made plays all day at Syracuse. There are plenty of others and I think Margus will be one of them.

[/quote

I really like this kid as well. Lot of similarities to Jason Pierre Paul.

I'm watching the SMU v Pitt bowl game (tape delay) and this kid Margus Hunt from SMU is destroying his opposition and ends up with four sacks and player of the game. He is a discuss thrower from Estonia and didn't play till he got here but at 6'8" 295 and elite strength and athleticism this is guy to keep an eye on. I see him as a 43 end because even though he is huge he is very lean and explosive off the ball with good outside speed rush and inside bullrush and arrives at the ball with nasty intentions. Here is an interesting article I found on him from two years back:

http://www.smu.edu/News/2009/margus-hunt-dmn-2april2009

He has nine blocked field goals and 15 blocks alltogether.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/smu-mustangs/20110922-eatern-block-why-smu-s-margus-hunt-is-the-best-kick-blocker-in-the-country.ece

One thing for the rest of you to take note of in the first article, especially the critics, is the fact that this guy is ALREADY a world class athlete. The thing that stands out about that, to me, is that whatever this guy takes on, you can bet he is gonna bust his ass to be the best at it. It's all about the mindset with these type of athletes.

@ the OP - I think you're on to something with this guy rocketing up some teams big boards. I am more than intreqgued by this monster and I can't wait to see him play some more.

Ryan Denney was in that range at 6-7

Edited by Turbosrrgood

One thing for the rest of you to take note of in the first article, especially the critics, is the fact that this guy is ALREADY a world class athlete. The thing that stands out about that, to me, is that whatever this guy takes on, you can bet he is gonna bust his ass to be the best at it. It's all about the mindset with these type of athletes.

@ the OP - I think you're on to something with this guy rocketing up some teams big boards. I am more than intreqgued by this monster and I can't wait to see him play some more.

can't wait till he is in a Bills uniform :thumbsup:

It was supposed to be all-time, additionally, so I'm sure my typo didn't help. I'd say further with some of those guys, sure they are big or small but to be one of the biggest ever or smallest in the history of the game, it means the qualities that make up for that quirk also have to be among the rarest of the rare in many cases. Just mathematically your talking a very special person among a league of people that are among the most gifted athletes in the world.

Certainly not impossible but it also is tough to just write it off as "measureables." height for a lineman might not be as big of a deal but as sjbf mentions - things like cut blocks, or even changing direction quickly, playing in tight spaces and piles, not getting legs rolled up on, or avoiding those nasty Eric wood gut shots are all going to be harder for a guy that's an extra 4-5 taller than your average player at that position. Sure it has perks like batted balls and blocked kicks but it's an interesting dynamic to keep an eye on when evaluating him.

Right now, if it is a legit disadvantage, it's a lot easier to mask playing against college kids that aren't as strong and don't have the technique that a 10 year lineman does to exploit that.

It was supposed to be all-time, additionally, so I'm sure my typo didn't help. I'd say further with some of those guys, sure they are big or small but to be one of the biggest ever or smallest in the history of the game, it means the qualities that make up for that quirk also have to be among the rarest of the rare in many cases. Just mathematically your talking a very special person among a league of people that are among the most gifted athletes in the world.

Certainly not impossible but it also is tough to just write it off as "measureables." height for a lineman might not be as big of a deal but as sjbf mentions - things like cut blocks, or even changing direction quickly, playing in tight spaces and piles, not getting legs rolled up on, or avoiding those nasty Eric wood gut shots are all going to be harder for a guy that's an extra 4-5 taller than your average player at that position. Sure it has perks like batted balls and blocked kicks but it's an interesting dynamic to keep an eye on when evaluating him.

Right now, if it is a legit disadvantage, it's a lot easier to mask playing against college kids that aren't as strong and don't have the technique that a 10 year lineman does to exploit that.

All good points but you should have seen the kid play he was just overwhelming. 6'8" isn't really that tall when there are 6'6"-7" Ends but its a fair discussion.

Well buffalobillsdraft think he's 9th and he still has a year to go:

DE:

1. Devin Taylor-South Carolina

2. Whitney Mercilus-Illinois

3. Nick Perry-USC

4. Cameron Meredith-Nebraska

5. Alex Okafor-Texas

6. Chandler Jones-Syracuse

7. Brad Madison-Missouri

8. Wes Horton-USC

9. Margus Hunt-SMU

10. John Simon-Ohio State

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2013-rankings-and-scouting-reports/

They lose all credibility having Devin Taylor as the #1 DE. He's not even the best DE on his team. The freshman SC had was even better than him, Jadeveon Clowney. :thumbdown:

All good points but you should have seen the kid play he was just overwhelming. 6'8" isn't really that tall when there are 6'6"-7" Ends but its a fair discussion.

Fair enough, and I really haven't seen him play so I can't speak to him specifically. An interesting quote from a gm last year in regards to mallet (don't remember who or the exact wording) but essentially the find the two tallest, shortest, lightest, heaviest, etc.... Guys that have actually done anything in the nfl for any given position your looking at, and if the draft pick would be the (for example) tallest or second tallest defensive end to ever be successful, they pull him off the board as there are usually reasons that make it so rare for someone that size to succeed. It was just something from that discussion that really stuck out. Certainly doesn't mean this guys a bust or that it's a sound theory or anything - just one former execs school of thought. I'd pull the article if I remembered remotely who it was as it seems fitting to this talk.

Edited by NoSaint

Fair enough, and I really haven't seen him play so I can't speak to him specifically. An interesting quote from a gm last year in regards to mallet (don't remember who or the exact wording) but essentially the find the two tallest, shortest, lightest, heaviest, etc.... Guys that have actually done anything in the nfl for any given position your looking at, and if the draft pick would be the (for example) tallest or second tallest defensive end to ever be successful, they pull him off the board as there are usually reasons that make it so rare for someone that size to succeed. It was just something from that discussion that really stuck out. Certainly doesn't mean this guys a bust or that it's a sound theory or anything - just one former execs school of thought. I'd pull the article if I remembered remotely who it was as it seems fitting to this talk.

I wish we had drafted Mallet then we wouldn't be looking for a QB regardless of what Chanix say about Fitz. Plus I wouldn't driving everyone nuts about T-hill :D

A lot of guys like Brock Osweiler and he's a 6'8" QB and not much has been said about his height.

Found some highlights of the SMU v Pitt game. It's not all Margus but it shows a couple of his four sacks (#92)

youtube.com/watch?v=uNud1_A9iQ8&feature=related

That receiver Johnson looked pretty good also IMO. TD grab showing some deep threat speed and a tough shoe string catch.

Love seeing chandler jones on that list.....he was my neighbor when I lived in endicott, ny...so were his brothers arthur who plays for the ravens and his older brother jon bones jones the light heavy weight champ in UFC.

Chandler Jones looked good this year and wouldn't mind picking him up in the latter rounds. Jon is the baddest man on the planet and I don't see anyone beating him for a long long time.