Will the Bills be looking for a replacement for Moorman?

I agree with you guys, that Moorman is a great punter, but it isn't strange to see them bringing in competition. Remember last year they did bring in Reid Forrest, although he was cut he did get a good chance to compete with Moorman.

Also the St. Louis Rams called and asked for film on Marquette today, and the bills are one of 15 teams that have called for him this offseason

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not the best punter in the league, but he's pretty good. He's also the least of the Bills' problems:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2797/brian-moorman

He averaged 48.2 yards per kick in 2011.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Whether from the opposing team's 35 or his own, he'll boot the ball about 50-55 yards down field.

You make it seem like it's easy to find a guy that can kick it 50-60 yards consistently in the NFL, and be "Feagles" like inside the 20. It's hard, there are very few kickers that can consistently do both.

Moorman has a rocket leg, and is fairly consistent. So no, I don't think the Bills should be wasting resources trying to improve a position they are good at, when they have so many other big holes. If the Bills were to release a proven guy like Moorman for a rookie or FA, they are more likely to be WORSE than better. Not a risk the Bills need to take IMO.

I didn't ever say it was easy to find someone that could do it consistently. I'm not even saying that we should replace moorman. What I am saying is its not the worst thing to improve a position or more specifically look to improve one regardless of who is currently there.

Also saying they requested film doesn't say much other than this kid has nfl talent. The bills always bring in a second kicker for Tc. Looks like due diligence to me and nothing for people to be upset about.

I agree with you section122, you are right, it never hurts to bring in competition, regardless of position, you have to have some sort of competition brewing. That is all, and it is a good thing that the bills are at least looking at the other prospects out there

I gauge a punter at how well he can pin his punts within the 10 yard line than anything else and from watching Bills games I think Moorman is awful in this regards. He even has problems pinning his punts within the 20 yard line. He is the touchback king! This is just from watching the games and comparing him to punters from watching games around the NFL.

Any stats guys on this?

I say Moorman is definitely replaceable because he doesn't help us in the field position that much.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I gauge a punter at how well he can pin his punts within the 10 yard line than anything else and from watching Bills games I think Moorman is awful in this regards. He even has problems pinning his punts within the 20 yard line. He is the touchback king! This is just from watching the games and comparing him to punters from watching games around the NFL.

Any stats guys on this?

I say Moorman is definitely replaceable because he doesn't help us in the field position that much.

To be fair, the gunners this year were less than stellar. That matters a lot too if they can get to the ball in adequate time, There were a number of times where the ball was up long enough and the gunners didn't get it this year. This is also known as Ruvell Martin was unworthy of a roster spot.

To be fair, the gunners this year were less than stellar. That matters a lot too if they can get to the ball in adequate time, There were a number of times where the ball was up long enough and the gunners didn't get it this year. This is also known as Ruvell Martin was unworthy of a roster spot.

It's not just this year. I think he has been awful for many years in this regard. I am interested, if there are any stats on this on how he compares to the others? Is my intuition from watching games correct?

My only concern with Moorman is that he is so skinny I don't know if they could have him run a fake. This year they ran a fake by snapping directly to George Wilson. In past years, Moorman would run it himself. With him being so skinny these days, if he ran with it and got hit, he would get killed.

I don't remember him being quite as skinny in the past. I think he has gotten skinnier over the past two or three years. Otherwise I think he is still a very good punter.

He also used to do a pretty good behind the scenes tv show. I don't know if it is still on, I remember seeing it about two seasons ago on the Time Warner Sports channel.

This kid has a nasty kick, just check out the article, then youtube his name, he has had 76 yarders in the air, booming kicks. #kicksquard.

http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/articles/diamond-in-the-rough-marquette-king-p-fort-valley-state.html

looks good, Anson Kelton from TCU kicked 65 yds and weighs 280 and Ryan Allen from Loiusiana Tech had 5.0 second hang time, could be options as well.