You know what I hate about our offense.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh for chrissake...

the whole dang LEAGUE uses a freakin spread offense half the time!!

so they'll all wrong, especially the pats, those losers.

(er, that's "offence" and "hosers" for u northerers, eh?)

an' leave the robot alone already. his head's a cardboard box covered with foil, with a funnel on top.

how would YOU deal with a sit. like that?

' NUPH sed.

0:)

~AS

oh for chrissake...

the whole dang LEAGUE uses a freakin spread offense half the time!!

so they'll all wrong, especially the pats, those losers.

(er, that's "offence" and "hosers" for u northerers, eh?)

an' leave the robot alone already. his head's a cardboard box covered with foil, with a funnel on top.

how would YOU deal with a sit. like that?

' NUPH sed.

0:)

~AS

Again, I had a bipolar moment and just vented...I'm just PO'd about this season... :cry:

Percentage blame for average offensive performance (IMO):

20% Marginally talented roster

60% Injuries decimating said marginally talented roster

20% Bad strategy… over-reliance on certain formations (including the spread) and certain plays (passing too much with a worn-out QB who can't carry an offense on his shoulders), an inability to adjust to opponents tactics

Just a recurring polaroid in my mind....We have no guy or even two in a backfield when the down and distance almost demands it. spread is good. But maybe not so often? Maybe some more two back would keep them honester.

I like the spread. It creates wide running lanes for running backs to fit through (its way better than that stupid goal line formation, where you get 9 300+lb men, place them shoulder to shoulder in front of 9 other 300+ lb men and expect a running back to run through those two giant walls of flesh for a TD). Problem is we dont run the ball enough times, and our QB has the accuracy of a blind guy shooting a cannon, err pellet gun.

I wouldnt mind to see a bit more power 0 - I love watching Stanford/SF just brick shiithouse teams

Edited by Thoner7

Percentage blame for average offensive performance (IMO):

20% Marginally talented roster

60% Injuries decimating said marginally talented roster

20% Bad strategy… over-reliance on certain formations (including the spread) and certain plays (passing too much with a worn-out QB who can't carry an offense on his shoulders), an inability to adjust to opponents tactics

I think this is correct, but only for the 2nd half of the season. The first half of the season, I think the only problem with the offense was a lack of a deep threat.

The injuries certainly killed it, and after the injuries happened, the playcalling and stratagy suddenly changed (but I could be wrong, I am not looking at the stats). It seems after jackson and wood went down, the playcalling became more passhappy than ever, and the run game got shelved. This was even though the run game appeared to be successful. I know chan has said exuses like they were 3rd 20 because of penalties caused by the run game, they were playing catchup, or the opposing defense made halftime adjustments that shut down the run game, yadda yadda. I am not sure how much of that is true.... but I really felt, like most here, that not running the ball is what killed the offense. I also think it lead to his poor performance. He plays better when we run the ball more and the whole offense isn't put on his shoulders.

Overall, I think that the only problem with the offense in the first half was a lack of a deep threat. And I think they can return to that type of offense with success with the key players returning, and using the run game more. That is if they keep stevie. Hard to tell how this offense would look like without him in it... if they do keep stevie, I really wouldn't be worried about the offense though.

Defense is another story. Even if the bills add a legit pass rusher, I am not sure if that alone would fix the defense. I don't think anyone knows exactly what is wrong with it. We all know it needs a pass rush on there, but I find it hard to believe that alone would fix that mess.

I think this is correct, but only for the 2nd half of the season. The first half of the season, I think the only problem with the offense was a lack of a deep threat.

The injuries certainly killed it, and after the injuries happened, the playcalling and stratagy suddenly changed (but I could be wrong, I am not looking at the stats). It seems after jackson and wood went down, the playcalling became more passhappy than ever, and the run game got shelved. This was even though the run game appeared to be successful. I know chan has said exuses like they were 3rd 20 because of penalties caused by the run game, they were playing catchup, or the opposing defense made halftime adjustments that shut down the run game, yadda yadda. I am not sure how much of that is true.... but I really felt, like most here, that not running the ball is what killed the offense. I also think it lead to his poor performance. He plays better when we run the ball more and the whole offense isn't put on his shoulders.

Overall, I think that the only problem with the offense in the first half was a lack of a deep threat. And I think they can return to that type of offense with success with the key players returning, and using the run game more. That is if they keep stevie. Hard to tell how this offense would look like without him in it... if they do keep stevie, I really wouldn't be worried about the offense though.

Defense is another story. Even if the bills add a legit pass rusher, I am not sure if that alone would fix the defense. I don't think anyone knows exactly what is wrong with it. We all know it needs a pass rush on there, but I find it hard to believe that alone would fix that mess.

who was gonna get that deep threat the ball?

I think the biggest problem with the Bills offense is the Bills defense. Imagine if Fitz could play with the Denver defense and twice a game you needed to score to win. You can punt 7 or 8 times a game and if you score a couple of time you win. You never throw into coverage and when you have the lead you are happy to punt. Give this offense a few stops, let them play with the lead and have some healthy wide receivers and we are Ok on offense. We need to stop teams on D to compete. I hope we can get a couple of more defense stoppers for next year and you wont have to worry about what you hate about our offense.

+1

I think the biggest problem with the Bills offense is the Bills defense. Imagine if Fitz could play with the Denver defense and twice a game you needed to score to win. You can punt 7 or 8 times a game and if you score a couple of time you win. You never throw into coverage and when you have the lead you are happy to punt. Give this offense a few stops, let them play with the lead and have some healthy wide receivers and we are Ok on offense. We need to stop teams on D to compete. I hope we can get a couple of more defense stoppers for next year and you wont have to worry about what you hate about our offense.

Imagine if our offense was like the saints, packers, or pats- our defense got some turnovers early. Just steal a ball or two and it'd be just as realistic as your. Proposal.

But you said it belongs in college. I think the packers run something similar too. You know two of the best offenses ever were speed offenses (This year in GB and 2007 with NE) Maybe Chan is on to something and trying to be ahead of the curve that is coming to the NFL, you know that passing league that seriously favors the offense.

naa, Turk Schonert & AVP tried like crazy to copy the Patriots offense, constant shotgun, constant throwing, only with JP Losman and Trent Edwards at QB. The bills never did build a good enough O line to allow a deep passing game, that didn't stop Schonert from calling for deep passes tho. Is it any wonder why Edwards was always checking down.

The biggest difference between Gailey and Schornert is at least Gailey knows and understands the limitations of his O line and tries to run a short passing game with not many deep 5-7 step drop back passes. Now this could be all pure coincidence that Gailey runs a shorter passing offense because now that the Patriots got rid of Randy Moss they don't throw deep very often either.

He could just be trying to copy the Patriots, lord I only hope he is, because if he is it means the Bills will finally invest in some tight ends this year. :thumbsup:

Thinking about it now, i wonder if some sort of directive is passed down to copy that Patriots offense, because that's what Gailey, Schonert, AVP all have tried to do. Fairchild was the last OC to even try and build a power running offense, and the fans wanted him run outta town on a rail.

It's the spread...belongs in CFB only...nuff said.

Yep, run the ball baby! We need to be rooting for San Fran and NYG because if they do well then their styles will be implemented more around the league instead of this No hitting No defense and No smashmouth Arena league football that's being played today.

On a side note there would be less concussions in the League if QBs and WRs weren't being exposed to all these big hits, There were way less concussions just 20 years ago.