Screw The Defense In Round One

If "defense wins championships," how are New England and Green Bay #1 seeds?

Because they have great offensive lines and 2 of 3 maybe 4 elite QBs in the league.

All we need to do is upgrade our line. Which we would have to spend money on and identify with 100% certainty a QB who is capable of putting up 35+ TDs every year....OH....and get 2 #1 WRs to throw the ball to in addition to SJ. Easy as pie!!!!

Or, we could just build a dominant defense which doesn't require a once every 5 year type special QB talent :)

P.S. Just because I think it is so funny. This board was all in an uproar about they will stop being fans if we somehow draft Cam Newton. ...LOL....Well...lookie lookie ...Cam might just be 1 of those elite QBs that comes along every 5 - 10 years. This illustrates how difficult it is to find an elite QB and how futile a forget everything until we find the needle in the hay stack philosophy is.

What do we do? Draft a QB in the first round every year until hopefully in 20 or 30 years we get an Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady?

Edited by PDaDdy

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

End of the day if Blackmon is 6'1 who cares? That's not short by any means. Folks need to stop worrying about physical attributes more than can a player play. Steve Smith is 5'9. Would you take him on the other side of Stevie? Darren Sproles in 5'7 and he is arguably the Saints most important player outside Drew Brees. Can a guy make plays is all that matters. The rest is gravy.

this-----^

it doesn't matter what size and physical attributes mean. If you can play, you can play. That's all that matters.

I've been basing my opinions off of very little evidence since I rarely watch much college ball. I usually only tune in to the Bowl games unless there's a supreme talent that people have been googling over for over a year. Example being Luck, Locker, Gresham, Ingram, Etc... But when I watched Blackmon last night it just became so clear what a dominant WR he is. They guy can flat out play. IMO it makes it even more impressive he is not 6'5" like Jeffrey. He is doing it being smaller, shorter than Jeffrey and playing against similar talent in college as Jeffrey if not tougher. There's no reason to believe he won't be able to produce in the NFL. I'm not comparing him to Jeffrey, they are completely different. Jeffrey is clearly more of a tall, lengthy WR like Megatron and Blackmon is more of the Owens mould. One seems to be more fitted to run downfield and the other seems better suited at short slant routes, crossing routes and being more well rounded. Jeffrey just seems more like a streak/long bomb type of player and honestly, Fitz would use Blackmons strengths better than Jeffreys.

It should also be noted that Kiper and McShay both rate him higher for a reason.

As I'm typing this right now they are talking about him on espn first take and Kordell, Broussard, and Bayless are saying he's most similar to TO. Broussard saying he's the best WR he's seen come out in years. That's better than Crabtree, Bryant included. "similarities are eerie between the two"

Jeffrey can play. Michael Floyd from Notre Dame might be even better.

End of the day if Blackmon is 6'1 who cares? That's not short by any means. Folks need to stop worrying about physical attributes more than can a player play. Steve Smith is 5'9. Would you take him on the other side of Stevie? Darren Sproles in 5'7 and he is arguably the Saints most important player outside Drew Brees. Can a guy make plays is all that matters. The rest is gravy.

There is a big difference between a 6'1" WR and a 6'4" WR that has the same speed and route running ability.

And Actually you need to look at physical attributes when you are drafting a Top 10 pick because you can't count on picking freaks of nature that can play despite size.

Not to mention would you rather have Calvin Johnson or Steve Smith? I would contend that 99.9% of people would want Calvin Johnson, the other 0.1% are being obtuse.

Edited by Why So Serious?

And how sucky is it that Indy gets Manning on a platter, then tanks to get Luck....It's like the Penguins getting Lemiuex, then Crosby.

No it isn't. In the Colts' case, they alone tanked to get Luck. In the Penguins' case, there isn't enough money in the world to convince me that the Crosby draft wasn't fixed. It was just too perfect, like Ewing ending up with the Knicks.

Not to mention would you rather have Calvin Johnson or Steve Smith? I would contend that 99.9% of people would want Calvin Johnson, the other 0.1% are being obtuse.

well I can't argue that there is a huge difference between a guy being 6'1" and 6'4". I can argue that Blackmon is much closer to Owens than Steve Smith and most people on this board would be 50/50 probably if they would rather have Owens or Megatron. It's not that clear cut. Me personally, i'd rather have Owens because his game is more rounded and Megatron is closer to being one dimensional. It's very similar to Andre Johnson vs Randy Moss as well. One hits deep routes much better and is more well known for that, the other is more of a posession reciever. Truth is, if we stick with giving Fitz more weapons and his arm that many believe to be very weak then Blackmon is a better option. Even if we gobwithbanother QB that has a better deep ball it's close considering that Blackmon is also very good deep, just not as good but better in short patterns. Then we have to look at where we play and weather factors. The long ball later in the year doesn't happen as much as other places.

Because they have great offensive lines and 2 of 3 maybe 4 elite QBs in the league.

I don't disagree. I'm just sick of hearing every analyst on the planet say "defense wins championships." New England and Green Bay have two of the worst Ds in the league. New Orleans' defense is "meh." As I wrote in another post, I think the league is entering a new era. There are some AMAZING QBs playing these days, with 4 of them "elite." Three of those almost surely will be first-ballot HOFers (Brees, Brady, Manning -- with Rodgers definitely on pace). I don't think we had this much QB talent since the late '80s or early '90s. Actually, factor in Vick, Newton, Stafford, Ryan, Schaub, Roethlisberger. (Some might argue Rivers and Romo, but I'm not in that camp). Aside from Newton, rookies Dalton and Ponder have shown promise. That's almost half of the league with good/great/elite QBs. Contrast that to defenses this year -- well, they've mostly been inconsistent, including the mighty Ravens.

Unlike most on this board, I don't think we've got a ton of holes. Get our guys healthy -- Keep them healthy -- factor in the "depth" we'll have from the rookies who started half this season out of necessity -- spend a little cash in free agency -- resign Johnson and extend Freddie -- don't draft like boneheads (this is the tough part) -- and we're contenders next season. As for our defense, if we go 4-3, we've got the building blocks in place. We do need corners BADLY (but not in the first two rounds, Buddy... Please).

WR is a need for sure, imo. So I would not be opposed to drafting a WR at 10 if the talent is there...if not, I would focus on picking the best defensive player available.

Regardless what we do, I still want us to bring Stevie back next season. Despite his stupidity, he's still a very good player that can be a part of the ultimate solution in buffalo

Edited by bobobonators

this-----^

it doesn't matter what size and physical attributes mean. If you can play, you can play. That's all that matters.

I've been basing my opinions off of very little evidence since I rarely watch much college ball. I usually only tune in to the Bowl games unless there's a supreme talent that people have been googling over for over a year. Example being Luck, Locker, Gresham, Ingram, Etc... But when I watched Blackmon last night it just became so clear what a dominant WR he is. They guy can flat out play. IMO it makes it even more impressive he is not 6'5" like Jeffrey. He is doing it being smaller, shorter than Jeffrey and playing against similar talent in college as Jeffrey if not tougher. There's no reason to believe he won't be able to produce in the NFL. I'm not comparing him to Jeffrey, they are completely different. Jeffrey is clearly more of a tall, lengthy WR like Megatron and Blackmon is more of the Owens mould. One seems to be more fitted to run downfield and the other seems better suited at short slant routes, crossing routes and being more well rounded. Jeffrey just seems more like a streak/long bomb type of player and honestly, Fitz would use Blackmons strengths better than Jeffreys.

It should also be noted that Kiper and McShay both rate him higher for a reason.

As I'm typing this right now they are talking about him on espn first take and Kordell, Broussard, and Bayless are saying he's most similar to TO. Broussard saying he's the best WR he's seen come out in years. That's better than Crabtree, Bryant included. "similarities are eerie between the two"

T.O. was not highly touted coming out of college, Skip Bayles never watched him play at Tennessee Chattanooga. He probably did see him play in the Senior Bowl but that's about it.

I can kind of see the comparison if you compare his 49ers days to Blackmon's OSU days but now you're comparing the NFL to College Football 10+ years removed, so I find it a strange comparison not to mention I don't see Blackmon having the size advantage that T.O. had especially back in the late 90s.

Dez Bryant and Michael Crabtree comparisons are actually pretty close in my opinion.

well I can't argue that there is a huge difference between a guy being 6'1" and 6'4". I can argue that Blackmon is much closer to Owens than Steve Smith and most people on this board would be 50/50 probably if they would rather have Owens or Megatron. It's not that clear cut. Me personally, i'd rather have Owens because his game is more rounded and Megatron is closer to being one dimensional. It's very similar to Andre Johnson vs Randy Moss as well. One hits deep routes much better and is more well known for that, the other is more of a posession reciever. Truth is, if we stick with giving Fitz more weapons and his arm that many believe to be very weak then Blackmon is a better option. Even if we gobwithbanother QB that has a better deep ball it's close considering that Blackmon is also very good deep, just not as good but better in short patterns. Then we have to look at where we play and weather factors. The long ball later in the year doesn't happen as much as other places.

Dude. COME ON MAN!!!! I LOVE Steve Smith but over Megatron? Really? Really?

Sign me up for a WR with that #10 pick. After watching a QB (brad smith) and a RB(spiller) try to play wideout it is painfully obvious this team needs another WR to compliment SJ. With that said they Def need to resign stevie.

I don't think there is a player on the defensive side of the ball at the tenth pick that will make as significant an impact as a top WR can for this offense, especially the way Chan calls games. I think there can be improvement from Fitz as well if he has better targets.

I think you need to factor in your offense and more specifically the qb. Very Accurate qb's can do very well with small shifty recievers. Less accurate ones need the bigger target.

If your offense stresses getting the ball out quick, small shiftyt might do better, if you favor deep crossing patterns or fades then perhaps bigger is better.

It also depends on which wrs you already have.

On the bills I'd take megatron, on the packers I'd take smith.

I think you need to factor in your offense and more specifically the qb. Very Accurate qb's can do very well with small shifty recievers. Less accurate ones need the bigger target.

If your offense stresses getting the ball out quick, small shiftyt might do better, if you favor deep crossing patterns or fades then perhaps bigger is better.

It also depends on which wrs you already have.

On the bills I'd take megatron, on the packers I'd take smith.

You're being obtuse.

There is not one of the 32 teams that would take Steve Smith in his prime over Calvin Johnson in his prime.

Not ever, not with any combinations of QBs or offenses or coaches or supporting cast.

this-----^

I really like Blackmon and Jeffery...I like Jeffery a bit more for The Bills...But not much more...I'm a bit baffled by some of what you wrote...Jeffrey runs every route in the book and he runs them all well...Short, long, intermediate, over the middle...He can do it all...The reason I like Jeffrey more for the Bills is simple...His size and hands...He has the ability to get himself open with just his body...And The Bills have a QB who can be inaccurate at times...Jeffery will come down with a bunch of those passes...I think Blackmon has more top end speed...But what does that really matter when you have a QB that is going to underthrow him most of the time anyway...Jeffery will adjust to those errant throws better IMHO...But I would take either Blackmon or Jeffery in a half-a-heartbeat in Buffalo... B-)

I really like Blackmon and Jeffery...I like Jeffery a bit more for The Bills...But not much more...I'm a bit baffled by some of what you wrote...Jeffrey runs every route in the book and he runs them all well...Short, long, intermediate, over the middle...He can do it all...The reason I like Jeffrey more for the Bills is simple...His size and hands...He has the ability to get himself open with just his body...And The Bills have a QB who can be inaccurate at times...Jeffery will come down with a bunch of those passes...I think Blackmon has more top end speed...But what does that really matter when you have a QB that is going to underthrow him most of the time anyway...Jeffery will adjust to those errant throws better IMHO...But I would take either Blackmon or Jeffery in a half-a-heartbeat in Buffalo... B-)

Thanks, I didn't want to keep beating a dead horse but Jeffrey is not a speedster, 1 trick pony, deep threat WR. He can route all the routes and does.

Plus with his giant wingspan he can catch those Amish Rifle misfires.

Thanks, I didn't want to keep beating a dead horse but Jeffrey is not a speedster, 1 trick pony, deep threat WR. He can route all the routes and does.

Plus with his giant wingspan he can catch those Amish Rifle misfires.

Thank you all got your input on the matter of Blackmon vs Jeffrey. As I've said many times in this thread that I don't watch much college ball and have only seen highlights of Jeffrey so I do not know for fact what kind of player he is. I prefer Blackmon from what I've seen but this thread has gotten a little out of hand.

1. I never compared Steve Smith to Blackmon. I've compared him to T. Owens and it's a very common comparison to not only many in this board but many in the profession as I pointed Skip Bayless and Kordell Stewart who are very knowledgable and/or have played the game for a living and THEY have stated they believe Blackmon to be the 2nd coming of TO. They have said he is "eerie similar". Was all over ESPN on First Take all morning. So I'm not the only one comparing them.

2. I never said I would take Steve Smith over Calvin Johnson. It was asked if I would take Smith over Johnson and I made a comment that Blackmon is much closer to Owens than Johnson and I'd take TO in a heartbeat over Johnson. He's a first ballot HOFer and it's not even arguable which one is better. When all is said and done I think you may be able to argue thier careers but it won't be close. And the only thing that makes it possible is the fact that the league is becoming much more pass happy. It's my opinion but it's becoming more fact in the league with three QBs throwing over 5,000 in the same season and only the 4th time since Marino did it eons ago.

3. My last point is fact that the professional scouts ALL have Blackmon rated higher than Jeffrey. If not everyone believes this, that's fine. I have said many times here as well that either one would be a huge upgrade and would be happy with either one. But it's been said by McShay, Kiper, And other that Blackmon is a top 5 talent and better than any reciever they've seen in recent years. That would include talents such as Crabtree, and Bryant. Not sure if they included far back enough to cover the Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson groups but Crabtree and Bryant were both very widely regarded as supreme talents.

So either way you have it, that's fine. I font know enough about either of them to know 100% but I watched the Fiesta Bowl in awe of how Blackmon took over the game singlehandedly and was by far the MVP. It's somethig I want for a WR on the Bills. If Jeffrey is better, I'd love to learn more and see more of his abilities to make those descisions for myself. But my opinion seems to be the same as the guys that do this for a living and I'm ok with that.

And sorry for any misspelled Words, typing everything on my iPhone can be a pain.

Please read post over again. Never said that.

Alshon Jeffrey may he staring us in the face at pick number 10

I live in SC and have been following the gamecocks the last few years. I like Jeffrey but I would not use a first round on him. He is tall and does a great job at catching the ball but he does not get a lot of separation. I would think he would be an awesome second pick.

I live in SC and have been following the gamecocks the last few years. I like Jeffrey but I would not use a first round on him. He is tall and does a great job at catching the ball but he does not get a lot of separation. I would think he would be an awesome second pick.

This is my fear. That he has all the physical abilities of someone like James Hardy but can't figure out how to make it all click. You've seen much of him and I'm curious to hear more about his play. What's your opinion on him VS Blackmon and Floyd?

Edited by mrags

This is my fear. That he has all the physical abilities of someone like James Hardy but can't figure out how to make it all click. You've seen much of him and I'm curious to hear more about his play. What's your opinion on him VS Blackmon and Floyd?

I can't give you an assessment other than what I said. I have not seen the other guys play enough. He looks big and slow to me but he is great at getting up there catching the ball. He also looks very strong. Maybe he does not get a lot of separation but does not need it because he always wins the battle. Check out the highlights and you will see that most catches the db is right on him.

He is a playmaker for sure

Well...

I lived in Charlotte the past 20 years, and I too saw a ton of Jeffery at USC...DB's are fast too...But Jeffery has plenty of speed...He's been clocked at sub 4.5, but most Scouts think he's a 4.5 - 4.6 guy...Dez Bryant ran 4.55-4.65 in his Private Workout...So Jeffery figures to have enough speed to be just fine in the NFL...Plus he has tremendous size and hands...And for the record two different times in that 1st Half vs. Nebraska he had more than a step on a potential 1st Round CB who is supposed to have mid 4.4 speed...

So anyway...Jeffery is fast enough... B-)