Possible Free Agent, and draft targets

mob16151

I love this BS. Can you actually give some examples of the Bills dropping out of a bidding war for a FA? Ah yes, Ralph was to cheap to sign Albert Haynesworth.

Yeah - and I believe he was so cheap he didn't let them make Dockery the most expensive G in the league at $7M/year? Oh wait.

He's really not that cheap folks - get over your own economic inadequacies and stop projecting them. No, he's not Dan Snyder, but there are plenty of teams who don't do anything in FA. The Bills aren't big players, but if Gailey/Nix like somebody they'll get them.

Let's see what happens with Stevie and Freddy though.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He bulked up to that for the 3-4.

He was a pass rushing DE out of college.

If our staff had any forsight, Carrington would have been playing OLB at his old weight instead of poor DT Spencer Johnson being stuck out there.

I would be OK with that - assuming they resign Bell. Hairston looked fine as a part-time rookie, they extended Pears (who I don't love) and IMO, the Bills have one of the best interior OL's in the entire league with Wood (hopefully healthy) Levitre and Urbik. Lock those three up long-term and don't worry about the interior OL for the next dozen years.

Would "foresight" include all the reps Carrington had at OLB during preseason and early part of this year?

Yeah - and I believe he was so cheap he didn't let them make Dockery the most expensive G in the league at $7M/year? Oh wait.

He's really not that cheap folks - get over your own economic inadequacies and stop projecting them. No, he's not Dan Snyder, but there are plenty of teams who don't do anything in FA. The Bills aren't big players, but if Gailey/Nix like somebody they'll get them.

Let's see what happens with Stevie and Freddy though.

And the 90s Bills, Drew Bledsoe, London Fletcher, Takeo Spikes, Eric Moulds, RJ, etc. Ralph makes bad personnel choices but to say he is cheap is just dumb. If he was cheap, the Bills won't be in Buffalo and in LA where he could make double.

And it's been repeated a million times, but you build through the draft.

Tannehill? :thumbdown:

You want to bring in a guy who was at the helm of multiple meltdowns this past season? Whether it's a season or a game, we can't afford another QB who starts hot and finishes ice cold.

That was the definition of A&M this year. No thanks. Not that culture. Not this locker room. No way.

So It's his fault that he had no defense and running game.

1. Robert Meachem WR New Orleans. He gives the Bills a legitimate number 2 WR,across from Johnson (Assuming he's resigned.). He's tall,fast, and still relatively young at 27 years old. His signing would let the Bills utilize,Jones,Easely,and Nelson, more effectively depending on matchups,and field situation. His signing would likely spell the end of Roscoe Parrish's time in Buffalo, and give the Bills a WR depth chart that looks like this.

1.Johnson

2.Meachem

3.Jones

3A. Nelson

4.Easely

5.Hagan.

I definitely like the idea of signing Johnson. I think it would be ridiculous for the Bills to not retain one of their few good weapons when they are FAR under the salary cap, regardless of his drops and antics.

I don't think Meachem would be a good fit for the Bills offense, not while Chan and Fitz are around anyway. Meechem is a down field guy, who is made to look great by his amazing QB. Chan and co. run a short passing game, and Fitz has already proven that he doesn't have downfield accuracy (under throws it almost every time).

I think we need a more balanced receiver to play opposite Stevie, that can run all of the routes and catch the ball all over the field...Guys like Bowe or Wayne. Then I think we need either a wr in the mid-late rounds of the draft, or another journeyman depth type of receiver.

Sorry, but D Jones just isn't good enough for the NFL. He is quick, but runs poor routes, and has awful hands. In his brief time Hagan has shown far more to me than Jones ever did...Of course we have Easley, but he didn't impress me when healthy this pre-season.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Since all of this is far from practical, I've had dreams about the Bills signing Mario Williams. His contract is up and I just thought that I could automatically say "Championship" if we had him signed. I mean if we are going to act like the Bills are getting all the top FA why not Mario?

So we all know the Bills have some glaring needs going into this offseason. Pass rushing OLB, improving the run D, better depth at WR,CB,etc. Here's mob16151's real,quick plan to improve the Bills.

In Free Agency, I'd like to see the Bills target the following three players.

1. Robert Meachem WR New Orleans. He gives the Bills a legitimate number 2 WR,across from Johnson (Assuming he's resigned.). He's tall,fast, and still relatively young at 27 years old. His signing would let the Bills utilize,Jones,Easely,and Nelson, more effectively depending on matchups,and field situation. His signing would likely spell the end of Roscoe Parrish's time in Buffalo, and give the Bills a WR depth chart that looks like this.

1.Johnson

2.Meachem

3.Jones

3A. Nelson

4.Easely

5.Hagan.

The second player I'd like the Bills to sign in FA, is Dallas TE Martellus Bennett. He's stuck on the depth chart behind perennial pro bowler Jason Witten in Dallas. He's young athletic,and while not the best of blockers, he has the athletic ability to be a JerMicheal Finley type recieving target. His signing would give the Bills a TE depth chart that looked like this.

1.Chandler

2.Bennett

3.Smith

The third and final Free agent acquisition I'd like the Bills to make is Tracey Porter CB New Orleans. He's struggled some with injuries, since he's been a pro, but when healthy he's one of the top 15 corners in the NFL, in my opinion. Plus it would be nice to steal a corner off the Saints, after they stole Greer. His signing would give the Bills a CB rotation that looked like this.

1.Porter

2.Williams

3.Florence

4.Rodgers

In the first round of the draft I'd like to see the Bills take Nick Perry OLB USC. He's young athletic and explosive. He sadly, would immediately become the Bills best pass rusher as soon as his name was called on draft day. Look for him to explode at the combine, and have a Clay Matthews like rise up draft boards.

In the second, I'd like to see the Bills take Nick Foles QB from Arizona. He's strong armed, but comes from a west coast type offense. He had a very good season, until the end of the year, when it looked like he was trying to do to much to keep his team in games. Keep a close eye on him at the senior bowl.

In the third round Emmanuel Acho OLB Texas. He's not a great pass rusher, but he's big,physical, and is pretty good at holding his ground against offensive lineman. And the Bills need a LB like that.

Other possible draft targets to keep an eye on include

Keith Tandy CB WVU

Bruce Irvin DE/OLB WVU

Geno Hayes QB WVU

Russell Wilson QB Wisconsin

Jeff Fuller WR Texas A&M

Whitney Mercilus DE Illinois

Ryan Van Bergen DE Michigan

Janoris jankins CB North Alabama

Anyhow let me know what you think.

Another #2 receiver, another TE and another CB are not the most critical needs I see. If the Bills don't grab a true #1 receiver, then I see no need to sign any receivers (seems like they have 30 or 40 of them right now). Same for TE: either get a stud or forget about it. I'll wait and see on the CB but right now I'd favor a top OLB if we can get one in free agency.

Draft

1. QB Ryan Tannehill 6'4" 225 Tex A&M

2. OLB Ronnell Lewis 6'2" 237 Oklahoma

3. DE Cardarro Law 6'2" 265 Southern Miss

4. OLB Tank Carder 6'2" 230 TCU

LDE Kelsay/Batten

DT Dareus/Heard

DT Williams/Carrington

RDE Law/Moats

SLB Lewis/Barret Rudd (FA)

MLB Sheppard/White

WLB Barnett/Carder

You'll like who DraftTek's computer picked for the Bills in RD#2!

Astro

isn't OSI an UFA after this season??? I know he has some previous injury concerns and is 30..but the guy gets 10 sacks on an off year. I would LOVE to have him on the bills, especially if we're going to be transitioning mostly to a 4-3.

Edited by bobobonators

Cannot see The Bills jumping into the Free Agent Pool again. Maybe they get a guy like Donnie Avery but I cannot see them being players in FA. That being said, I think that Avery would be a nice addition to our club. He would be a very nice #2 receiver here. As for the draft. I really like Riley Reiff in the first round. He is a solid tackle. I think he is better than Brian Bulaga coming out of Iowa. If it were up to me, I would do exactly the same thing as last year, devoting most of the picks for defense. Our D was putrid. Did it seem like every time an opponent dropped back to pass, they completed the pass. We have no outside pressure at all.

So we all know the Bills have some glaring needs going into this offseason. Pass rushing OLB, improving the run D, better depth at WR,CB,etc. Here's mob16151's real,quick plan to improve the Bills.

In Free Agency, I'd like to see the Bills target the following three players.

1.Johnson

2.Meachem

3.Jones

3A. Nelson

4.Easely

5.Hagan.

The second player I'd like the Bills to sign in FA, is Dallas TE Martellus Bennett. He's stuck on the depth chart behind perennial pro bowler Jason Witten in Dallas. He's young athletic,and while not the best of blockers, he has the athletic ability to be a JerMicheal Finley type recieving target. His signing would give the Bills a TE depth chart that looked like this.

1.Chandler

2.Bennett

3.Smith

The third and final Free agent acquisition I'd like the Bills to make is Tracey Porter CB New Orleans. He's struggled some with injuries, since he's been a pro, but when healthy he's one of the top 15 corners in the NFL, in my opinion. Plus it would be nice to steal a corner off the Saints, after they stole Greer. His signing would give the Bills a CB rotation that looked like this.

1.Porter

2.Williams

3.Florence

4.Rodgers

In the first round of the draft I'd like to see the Bills take Nick Perry OLB USC. He's young athletic and explosive. He sadly, would immediately become the Bills best pass rusher as soon as his name was called on draft day. Look for him to explode at the combine, and have a Clay Matthews like rise up draft boards.

In the second, I'd like to see the Bills take Nick Foles QB from Arizona. He's strong armed, but comes from a west coast type offense. He had a very good season, until the end of the year, when it looked like he was trying to do to much to keep his team in games. Keep a close eye on him at the senior bowl.

In the third round Emmanuel Acho OLB Texas. He's not a great pass rusher, but he's big,physical, and is pretty good at holding his ground against offensive lineman. And the Bills need a LB like that.

Other possible draft targets to keep an eye on include

Keith Tandy CB WVU

Bruce Irvin DE/OLB WVU

Geno Hayes QB WVU

Russell Wilson QB Wisconsin

Jeff Fuller WR Texas A&M

Whitney Mercilus DE Illinois

Ryan Van Bergen DE Michigan

Janoris jankins CB North Alabama

Anyhow let me know what you think.

its Geno Smith and he's a Junior this year. Watch him tonight and you'll see he needs another year of college, but could be a mid to late round pick as a developmental QB. Tandy isn't bad, but nothing great, Reggie Corner with a little more size and speed. Irvin I've not been overly impressed with, projects as an Arthur Moats type player. right now he's playing DE in a 3-3-5 defense so switching to OLB might be a project

The Bills won't take a QB in the Draft this year, but if they do it will not be until the 6th or 7th round.

Thank you...Fitz is signed for another 6 years. He's not going anywhere and unless he gets injured or retires, he's the QB for the foreseeable future.

You'll like who DraftTek's computer picked for the Bills in RD#2!

Astro

I'm surely glad the fool that writes for draft tek doesnt work for the Bills . every week he changes his mind and picks someone else ,kinda blows whatever way the wind does..is it sully?

The Bills won't take a QB in the Draft this year, but if they do it will not be until the 6th or 7th round.

... if they don't, then they're stupid, cuz Fitz ain't the long term answer as he clearly demonstrated. There are some talented 2nd and 3rd round QBs that could make it big in the pro's and some latter round talents like Keenum and Moore. The Bills NEED to pick a QB in this draft - if for no other reason than for depth and to develop a future starting QB prospect.

if we are dealing in a fantasy world which is what this is bc the Bills are not signing any of those players Id prefer Colston over Meachem who I like but Bills would be better off getting a true #1 WR

The Bills continue to prove to me that they dont put any value on the TE position at all so dont see them even entertaining Bennett

you can get solid CB's in the mid to later rounds in the draft, no reason to go out and spend money on a free agent

Edited by Max997

I don't have a problem with the quality of players mentioned. Do you believe the Bills should stand pat at the offensive line Positions?

We could use an upgrade at RG and RT, but upgrading the offensive line at this point, is more of a want then a need IMO.

its Geno Smith and he's a Junior this year. Watch him tonight and you'll see he needs another year of college, but could be a mid to late round pick as a developmental QB. Tandy isn't bad, but nothing great, Reggie Corner with a little more size and speed. Irvin I've not been overly impressed with, projects as an Arthur Moats type player. right now he's playing DE in a 3-3-5 defense so switching to OLB might be a project

Geno Smith was highly impressive against Clemson. And Reggie Corner, with more size and speed, would be a pretty good player.

Edited by mob16151