The One and Only Stevie Johnson Thread

Simon

My problem with Chan was that I think he easily could have and should have put him in after halftime for the rest of the game. I don't think the rule was dumb. I don't think he would have lost credibility one bit if he sat him for over a quarter for breaking the rule and then told Stevie and the team at halftime that he had to put him on the bench because he made the rule. But it clearly was not penalty last year, it clearly was not excessive stupid celebration, and it clearly was not an open defiance of the rule. It's like going out to a bar at 3 am. Nothing good can come of it so do not put yourself in a position to get in trouble. You already hurt your teammates and self enough.

I think the team would have respected him for it and it would have been fair and the right thing to do and not went back on his word. Like most things, the real issue is intent. The intent was not defiance, the intent was not excessive celebration. The intent was clearly not to test the limits of the rule.

I disagree. Chan told him that one more incident and he gets benched. Stevie claiming that he didn't know writing on his shirt was against the rules is laughable. That rule goes all the way back to Hollywood Henderson and Jim McMann. The reason he didn't get flagged in Cincy was because the officials didn't see him do it at the time.

This was a meaningless game and Chan was able to prove to Stevie (and any other player) not to test him. I think it was a great move that he was benched for the whole game, and I'm a big fan of Stevie's. The message is that the clownish, openly defiant, attention-grabbing acts are officially over. Do a dance, spike the ball, jump into the stands, tweet your butt off after the game, but you're not playing if you openly defy Chan's rules.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. Chan told him that one more incident and he gets benched. Stevie claiming that he didn't know writing on his shirt was against the rules is laughable. That rule goes all the way back to Hollywood Henderson and Jim McMann. The reason he didn't get flagged in Cincy was because the officials didn't see him do it at the time.

Untrue. A lot of players alter their uniforms, or defy the NFL policy of the look, from time to time, including Fred Jackson. That is what Stevie did. It was a uniform infraction. The NFL fines players for changing their uniform, like it fined him the first time, there is no penalty for it. It is not unsportsmanlike conduct. Chan told him if he gets a penalty, not if he celebrates, not if there were one more incident. Chan didn't think it should have been a penalty either, which is why it would have been totally fine to sit him a little more than a quarter and then let him back in. If the NFL thinks writing on a shirt or changing his jersey is a penalty, they should inform him and the team that it is a penalty. They didn't. They fined him.

Untrue. A lot of players alter their uniforms, or defy the NFL policy of the look, from time to time, including Fred Jackson. That is what Stevie did. It was a uniform infraction. The NFL fines players for changing their uniform, like it fined him the first time, there is no penalty for it. It is not unsportsmanlike conduct. Chan told him if he gets a penalty, not if he celebrates, not if there were one more incident. Chan didn't think it should have been a penalty either, which is why it would have been totally fine to sit him a little more than a quarter and then let him back in. If the NFL thinks writing on a shirt or changing his jersey is a penalty, they should inform him and the team that it is a penalty. They didn't. They fined him.

I think you're right. Refs said it was a prop. Since when is a Tshirt a prop? They probably got their wise heads together before the game and figured out, rule book in hand, exacly what they would do if Stevie did this or did that. Problem is they don't know the rules (as evidenced by the Florence/Brady incident) or how to interpret them and they got it wrong.

Stevie claiming that he didn't know writing on his shirt was against the rules is laughable.

He also said the Jets celebration was not pre planned. He also said he saw a guy go to the ground and didn't get flagged so he thought it was OK. And he said he would do no more End Zone celebrations.

He reminds me of a little kid who gets caught with his hand in the cookie jar. "I didn't know there were cookies in there". "I saw Johnny do it and thought it was OK".

Excuses. Excuses. Excuses.

Edited by reddogblitz

since this is the everything stevie thread.....

http://deadspin.com/5872799/some-guy-got-a-giant-tattoo-of-stevie-johnsons-head-on-his-arm

He also said the Jets celebration was not pre planned. He also said he saw a guy go to the ground and didn't get flagged so he thought it was OK. And he said he would do no more End Zone celebrations.

He reminds me of a little kid who gets caught with his hand in the cookie jar. "I didn't know there were cookies in there". "I saw Johnny do it and thought it was OK".

Excuses. Excuses. Excuses.

youd think at some point hed brush up on the rules. if he wanted to get really crazy he could even run his ideas by someone beforehand. i bet if he asked a ref before the game, theyd be ready to make the right call, and let him know if a flag would come.... nope.