My Concern with Chan

'64 Bills

IMO the Bills have made talent upgrades this season. The draft class of '11 is very promising, the OL is finally stable and the addition of Nick Barnett saved whatever defense we have.

I have great hope for 2012 except for the Head Coach. We really don't have a true Head Coach. He specializes in running the offense and appears to ignore the effects of their short comings as it impacts the defense and special teams. So many three-and-outs after an incomplete pass, a running play for 4 yards and then another incomplete pass. It's so predictable. We put our struggling defense on the field much, much too often.

We have 2 excellent, possible All-Pro backs behind a solid and big offensive line. Fred and CJ have totaled 1435 yards over 15 games averaging 5.4 yards per carry. Yet, we run the ball less than 5 times per quarter over the season!!!

When crunch time comes against good teams and late in the season a team has to RUN THE BALL. We have shown we can but apparently our coach likes the pass more. Unfortunately, we don't have the talent throwing or receiving to win big games that way. If this type of play calling continues the Bills will keep losing and Chan will find himself of the NFL.

Chan runs a college spread offense and is way too obsessed with the pass and the 5 wide empty backfield set

someone else made a very good point...why does he throw deep in short yardage situations and throw short in long yardage situations? doesnt make sense

their strength is being able to run and with this defense common sense would be to run the ball to control the clock and the game but not chan, he would rather coach like he is playing madden

Chan runs a college spread offense and is way too obsessed with the pass and the 5 wide empty backfield set

someone else made a very good point...why does he throw deep in short yardage situations and throw short in long yardage situations? doesnt make sense

their strength is being able to run and with this defense common sense would be to run the ball to control the clock and the game but not chan, he would rather coach like he is playing madden

He is trying to ousmart the other teams by doing the opposite of what should be done. Tricky Chan, although he is the one being made to look the fool!

I think with a little better depth and a legit WR opposite SJ our O will be pretty effective for entire year. Freddy coming back 100% also will help!

Our D needs a lot of help with players and personel. We need a legitimate D cordinator. OLB and a stud DE would help our secondary alot as well as the running game.

Year 3 will be do or die for Chan. A couple key fee agents and another strong draft and this ship will be sailing!

Otherwise we start over again from the floor!

This stuff is so basic I can't tell you. Most of the DC's around the league gotta be laughing when they watch film of this team, and licking their chops.

As bad as Jauron was at least he tried to run a diverse offense, then when he asked numbnuts Schonert to simplify the offense, and run more....being as pig headed as he is, ole Turk gave him a hard time about it.

It makes you wonder about the mentality of coaches, AVP took over and started calling plays after Jauron fired Schonert. Now this man was the current QB coach and played as back up to Jim Kelly and saw first hand what a good running game and spread offense could do for a team.

Then the Bills tried to run the "no huddle" offense out of a pro style set, needless to say it didn't work.

For the love of god RW, spend the $$ to hire someone that knows how to setup a real NFL offense Joe Philbin OC of the Packers, he has been the OC since 07. Jeez, at least talk to him

In his four seasons at the offensive helm, Philbin has directed both a productive and sound unit. The team's 1,703 points from 2007-10 were the most in franchise history over a four-year period, while the 83 turnovers were the fewest in a four-year span. The Packers' 83 giveaways since '07 rank No. 1 in the NFC and No. 2 in the NFL behind only New England.

League-wide, the offense has ranked in the top 10 in total yards and total points each year, one of only two teams in the league (New England) to accomplish that feat during that period. Green Bay's point total is fourth in the league over that span, trailing only New England (1,944), San Diego (1,746) and New Orleans (1,736).

http://www.packers.c...d6-d81973ad68fa

IMO the Bills have made talent upgrades this season. The draft class of '11 is very promising, the OL is finally stable and the addition of Nick Barnett saved whatever defense we have.

I have great hope for 2012 except for the Head Coach. We really don't have a true Head Coach. He specializes in running the offense and appears to ignore the effects of their short comings as it impacts the defense and special teams. So many three-and-outs after an incomplete pass, a running play for 4 yards and then another incomplete pass. It's so predictable. We put our struggling defense on the field much, much too often.

We have 2 excellent, possible All-Pro backs behind a solid and big offensive line. Fred and CJ have totaled 1435 yards over 15 games averaging 5.4 yards per carry. Yet, we run the ball less than 5 times per quarter over the season!!!

When crunch time comes against good teams and late in the season a team has to RUN THE BALL. We have shown we can but apparently our coach likes the pass more. Unfortunately, we don't have the talent throwing or receiving to win big games that way. If this type of play calling continues the Bills will keep losing and Chan will find himself of the NFL.

Talk about this when we have a defense that can get off the field on third down or even forces third downs regularly . For the balance of the season we have played from behind.

If you want to take issue with Chan, I think the biggest issue this year has been our slow starts. We need to come in with a better script to put the pressure on the other team.

I also don't think it is a coincidence that we have been playing better over the last few weeks as our young players get some game time. That is largely ignored here but I think it's directly related to the coaches and the job they're doing.

I think Chan is one of the best play callers in the league. He's a great game coach, almost perfect clock management all year, has developed strong chemistry with his relatively inexperienced QB and is respected by his players and around the league.

He addressed his defensive weakness by bringing in Wanny to help with the defense and as assistant HC. He's honest with media and players alike.

Sorry guys but you can't coach a pass rush or will your LB's to be faster and more aggressive. Our QB slumped badly midseason, we had no Evans, Roscoe, Easley and Jones, and lost Fred Jax and Kyle Williams, our two best players to injury, then our stud center went on IR, and our emerging TE has battled injuries since October.

We need more talent, not more coaching. Bad coaching is when you have 5 pro-bowlers on your team and have a losing record. We don't have one.

My biggest grip is that the team always seems unready to play at game start. Seems like every game the opposition scores on their first possession and we go an ugly 3 and out. The D is never ready for the other team's game plan and I suspect it's the players and position coaches who make adjustments on the fly while Edwards remains lost.

For those who want Chan to run more, I can sympathize, but it's only been recently that CJ has shown he can make it past the line of scrimmage w/o going down. I do have to scratch my head about his love of the spread offense w/o a QB who runs the ball a lot...

The bottom line is the Buffalo Bills are not a competitive organization, from the front office down to the second team players. Ten years of horrible drafts, poor selection of free agents, horrible coaching from the HC down to position coaches have taken a toll. My family bought season tickets in 1960 and continues to frequent the Ralph on Sundays though not with season tickets at the moment - I love the team and the city. But until the house is cleaned and a competent FO in place, we will keep getting more of the same.

I look back on the 80's and 90's, the great drafts, trades, free agent aquistions and not why the reluctance to replicate the organizational mode of this time period - Bill Polian through John Butler. Commencing with the arrival of Jim Kelly in 1986 through 2000, a 14 year period, the Bills went to the playoff nine times, were competive just missing the playoffs four times (in the hunt until week 15), and produced numerous HOF and all pro players.

This current organization is dysfunctional and has been for the last 10 years; don't see anything changing for 2012 either.

I agree with this:

I think Chan is one of the best play callers in the league. He's a great game coach, almost perfect clock management all year, has developed strong chemistry with his relatively inexperienced QB and is respected by his players and around the league.

He addressed his defensive weakness by bringing in Wanny to help with the defense and as assistant HC. He's honest with media and players alike.

Sorry guys but you can't coach a pass rush or will your LB's to be faster and more aggressive. Our QB slumped badly midseason, we had no Evans, Roscoe, Easley and Jones, and lost Fred Jax and Kyle Williams, our two best players to injury, then our stud center went on IR, and our emerging TE has battled injuries since October.

We need more talent, not more coaching. Bad coaching is when you have 5 pro-bowlers on your team and have a losing record. We don't have one.

I think Chan is great. This team plays very hard week in and week out. If you have a problem with his playcalling, then i suggest you give it a shot. Go ahead, call the plays. Not in Madden, but in real life. Its hard to do and you have so many things to think about. Where is the wide side, where is the down and distance, what are our strengths and their weaknesses in this situation, what personnel do we need, who just got injured, how is our line blocking for the run, for the pass, is our qb getting time, will they blitz and from where? Etc. Process all that in 40 seconds. I think he is an excellent play caller and he understands the game so well. I would not want any other head coach next year, and probably not the year after either. Teams need time to develop. Its not an overnight thing, its not a 2 year thing. It takes time. As the Bucs. They caught lightning in a bottle last year but we all knew they weren't quite there. We will be fine, but its about patients. Chan needs to be given at least one more year, but then if he is fired, the whole process starts over again, so it'll be another 3 years, and another 3. I really want us to stick to our guns and let the man, along with nix, see this thing out for at least a total of 4 full seasons.

Agreed.

Rex Ryan is a bad coach. Those teams are stacked and they have to sneak into the playoffs every year. Norv Turner same thing.

When were at full strength we were tough to beat

The op starts by posting about the stats in the run game----CG gets no credit for that? I guess if you assume the production comes spite of the play calling instead of because of it, it's easy to knock it. Additionally---look at spellers production after fj went down. No credit there for CG?

A few of our losses boiled down to execution of the calls played, not so much the call itself.

Let's hope they plug in a few more pieces for 2012.

I did not realize that Chan threw any passes at all this season. Anyhow, Fitz made the decision to throw deep in short yardage situations when he thought he was seeing single coverage outside. To say that out of a 5 wide set that there were no short yardage zones being run is beyond stupid. In short yardage situations defenses tend to focus the coverages close to the line of scrimmage for obvious reasons. In third and long defenses tend to defend focus coverage on the middle to deep zones. If you think Fitz should be throwing to our current crop of receivers given his own shortcomings into 2 deep safety coverages 3rd and long ala Brett Farve you are crazy. It makes a lot more sense to throw to the guy that is open underneath and hope for a seam to run for a 1st down then to throw to Stevie and ??????????? where most of the secondary will be sitting. Fitz gets hit on almost every third and long play, you also have to consider that. If they were better on 1st and 2nd down we would not be having this thread.

wow, just wow...

Do some of you actually watch the games, the plays called, and look at the stats after the game and think about what caused them to lose....or do you just tab it up to bad luck and the QB sucked today?

Vorpma got it right...

The bottom line is the Buffalo Bills are not a competitive organization, from the front office down to the second team players. Ten years of horrible drafts, poor selection of free agents, horrible coaching from the HC down to position coaches have taken a toll. My family bought season tickets in 1960 and continues to frequent the Ralph on Sundays though not with season tickets at the moment - I love the team and the city. But until the house is cleaned and a competent FO in place, we will keep getting more of the same.

I look back on the 80's and 90's, the great drafts, trades, free agent aquistions and not why the reluctance to replicate the organizational mode of this time period - Bill Polian through John Butler. Commencing with the arrival of Jim Kelly in 1986 through 2000, a 14 year period, the Bills went to the playoff nine times, were competive just missing the playoffs four times (in the hunt until week 15), and produced numerous HOF and all pro players.

This current organization is dysfunctional and has been for the last 10 years; don't see anything changing for 2012 either.

This team is a joke because no top coach or player wants to come and work here.

When they are forced to by the draft they play well at the start, and then realize they what they are dealing with here in Buffalo, their play, their effort, their desire to be the best falls away.

Gotta disagree. When opposing DC's figured out what the Bills were doing and began to game plan for it, Gailey never adjusted. He just kept calling the same plays that weren't working. Good coaches make adjustments. Failing to run the ball more when all the WR's started getting hurt exposed Gailey's flaws as a play caller. When a team loses 7 straight games in this league and at least 4 of them are winnable games, that is the mark of bad coaching.

When I play madden I run the ball way more than Chan!!

Gotta disagree. When opposing DC's figured out what the Bills were doing and began to game plan for it, Gailey never adjusted. He just kept calling the same plays that weren't working. Good coaches make adjustments. Failing to run the ball more when all the WR's started getting hurt exposed Gailey's flaws as a play caller. When a team loses 7 straight games in this league and at least 4 of them are winnable games, that is the mark of bad coaching.

I agree he never adjusted once teams were able to shut us down. He even said," We're running the same plays we did early in the season and we're not executing." Why are we running the same plays if they're not working anymore? We just became too predictable.

Edited by XXL Franchize