If The Front Office Does Not Sign Stevie

BuffaloBaumer

You are exactly correct. This is what good teams do. And why the Bills will let him go. It's like the RB situation a few years ago. Let McGahee go, draft Lynch, let him go, draft CJ. Now it's time for the WR rotation, all the while real NFL teams are doing what you stated, and finding a franchise (not backup) QB.

Besides Houston and Andre Johnson what other teams resign their top WR's. Pittsburgh let Holmes walk, Denver traded Marshall, Pats traded Branch, Saints may let Colston go, Boldin is out in Arozona....the list goes on....Now usually the team gets some compensation but at times it is minimal.

I would franchise him and make him earn his money one more year. Why give him a huge signing bonus? Give him the high salary and make him show the league he is a true #1. No way he sits out ten games with the franchise tag. He couldn't afford it - literally.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lil Donte is flamboyant and through his own stupidity, is making less than we offered. Ask Donte how his big market exposure is. Oh wait I have the answer. he is invisible.

Some players do way better in a small market. In fact I bet Jim Kelly will agree to that.

That would be a good analogy except... SJ>>>>Lil Donte in terms of football smarts, talent and playmaking ability. Someone will pay him, and he may well have multiple suitors. Lil Donte was f**ked from the start by the sheer fact that he had very few interceptions over several years. SJ on the other hand, is coming off back to back 1000 yard seasons.

You are 100% right. But they don't care if you know their tendencies. There are enough people who never begin to get suspicious about their moves and actually think things will be better next year (click) next year (click) next year...

It looks like the suicide hotline has saved yet another lost soul...for now.

THIS!

Just curious: What teams do you see as lining up to sign Stevie for the top-5 WR $ he allegedly wants?

He started the year well, but he hasn't exactly been lighting the place on fire the last half of the season. There are a lot of teams where he'd likely be a little fish in a big pond.

I do agree that we should work on deals for quality players that have a year left.

I also think we could work on a deal with incentives etc that would protect us but satisfy Stevie. If he pulls a Whitner, he could easily find Whitner's deal (less money, less visibility)

What teams do you think are lining up to pay Stevie >$9.5 million for 2012 (going rate for a non-exclusive franchise WR per Wiki)

Teams next season that will need a stud WR? Besides pretty much every team?

Here's a few and the reasons to go with them:

49ers- they lose Braylon and might end up just short of the SB because of a recieving threat. And then there's the fact that Stevie is from the Bay area and would love to be there.

NO- Brees will be losing either Meachem or Colston or both and are on the edge of going to the SB again every year.

Chicago- needs another threat to get over thoer playoff bump.

Arizona- Wisenhunt gives Kolb or Skelton all the tools to succeed because his job may be gone if they don't make a run for the playoffs.

Baltimore- feeling they were cheated by the Evans trade they cut bait with him and sign a young stud to get over the hump.

Pittsburgh- always in the hunt for a SB and Hines Qard isn't getting younger.

Carolina- Cam needs someone to throw the ball too.

New England- always in the hunt for a title and would love to steal a huge threat for themselves.

Jets- Sanchez needs more options and Rex is a homo.

Seattle- Carrol is interested in drafting a young QB or building around what he's got, either way, a young stud would help thier team.

Indianapolis- let the future of Andrew Luck start off with a young possession reciever and Wayne is a FA.

St Louis- Bradford will need more weapons and will get them to make sure he's the real deal or a bust.

Denver- Tebow gets his last shot season to prove he's an NFL QB and gets a weapon to help.

Kansas City- Bowe is a FA and could walk.

Oakland- The Davis family is all in with Palmer.

Green Bay- they win 2 straight SBs and look to add more to Rodgers for a first time 3 straight.

How's that?

If they don't resign him, they will try and draft a wr to replace him. This is the same rinse and repeat type of moves this franchise has been making for years. my opinion is if they were going to resign him, it would have been done by now. I think he is as good as gone. This franchise will be no better than mediocre until Ralph is gone.Problem then is the whole team may be gone.

Edited by first_and_ten

If they don't resign him, they will try and draft a wr to replace him. This is the same rinse and repeat type of moves this franchise has been making for years. my opinion is if they were going to resign him, it would have been done by now. I think he is as good as gone. This franchise will be no better than mediocre until Ralph is gone.Problem then is the whole team may be gone.

I have always felt a team in Buffalo WITH ralph was better than a team elsewhere with a new owner. This last debacle of a season actually had me questioning that. Ralph is just such a despicably bad owner, and has been for such a long time. The misery!

Their stupidity will shine brighter than ever. It's like these idiots don't learn from past mistakes and just keeping letting the good players go while drafting a hopeful replacement. All FA olinemen need to be re-signed no matter if they are starters or back-ups along with Byrd and Johnson.

Make some progress for once and draft to fill holes that are their now - not ones that are created in a few months....

There's been some debate as to whether or not Stevie is truly a #1 receiver; therefore, there is some debate as to whether or not we should pay him like a #1. He may be a #1 on this team, but if he goes to another, would he be that team's #1? I jusrt don't think we should pay him like the Cardinals do Larry Fitzgerald.

I have always felt a team in Buffalo WITH ralph was better than a team elsewhere with a new owner. This last debacle of a season actually had me questioning that. Ralph is just such a despicably bad owner, and has been for such a long time. The misery!

my feelings exactly. i thought any team was better than no team, but with wilson and his cronies just looking at the bottom line as opposed to actually trying to win,is frustrating, to say the least. every year is 'ground hog day", nothing changes and the outright abuse of the fans by the mgmt is starting to really get to me.

I see so overpay and overhyped, immature punk just because he is the best wr on a crap team? Yeah that is how you build a winner...

Buffalo will ALWAYS have to overpay for the good players in FA, that's just the way it is. Now if they were smart (which we know they are not), they could at least make sure their good players don't always make it to FA. IF they can keep Stevie, their Olinemen and Byrd, I don't care if they draft a wr, OLB, DB, or another OL as long as they don't CREATE any more holes from here on out.

Look for Chicago to go hard after him. Angelo has been given the green light to spend a boatload of cash this offseason, and SJ would be perfect for that offense: think about it, with his great routerunning and Martz's great routes, plus Cutler can actually get him the ball. It's a perfect fit - they'll overpay to get him. And as the OP correctly points out, the Bills once again will have developed a player just so that they can lose him for nothing and draft his replacement. We're the Kansas City Royals of the NFL, except there is a salary cap so it's by choice, not necessity.

Their stupidity will shine brighter than ever. It's like these idiots don't learn from past mistakes and just keeping letting the good players go while drafting a hopeful replacement. All FA olinemen need to be re-signed no matter if they are starters or back-ups along with Byrd and Johnson.

Make some progress for once and draft to fill holes that are their now - not ones that are created in a few months....

What if they resign Stevie AND draft a WR?

THIS!

Just curious: What teams do you see as lining up to sign Stevie for the top-5 WR $ he allegedly wants?

He started the year well, but he hasn't exactly been lighting the place on fire the last half of the season. There are a lot of teams where he'd likely be a little fish in a big pond.

I do agree that we should work on deals for quality players that have a year left.

I also think we could work on a deal with incentives etc that would protect us but satisfy Stevie. If he pulls a Whitner, he could easily find Whitner's deal (less money, less visibility)

What teams do you think are lining up to pay Stevie >$9.5 million for 2012 (going rate for a non-exclusive franchise WR per Wiki)

Just curious: where do you seen anywhere that Stevie has asked for top 5 WR money? Stevie made a comment, I believe on Twitter, a cpl weeks ago saying he was looking for a little under $9 mil/yr. top 5 WRs are in that $15 mil plus range.

A little under $9 mil/yr puts him in the middle of the pack of the 2nd tier of WRs which is probably where he belongs. Stevie ranks in the top 10 or top 20 of almost any category of stats that are used to measure WRs.

I will definately be unhappy if they let Stevie test free agency because he will get paid that kind of money or more and I'm just so sick of watching the Bills lose players after their rookie contracts are up and having another hole to fill! It is not as though the Bills are up against the wall with Cap issues! Building primarily through the draft requires you to re-sign your good players when their rookie contracts are up!

I hope we do sign Johnson, but I've been here long enough to know the drill. After the next big drop he's bound to have will come all the posts saying how stupid the Bills were for signing Johnson...probably from some of the same people howling how we can't let him walk. Don't think so? See: Ryan Fitzpatrick. Same as it ever was.

PTR

I hope he tests the FA market then signs with Buffalo for a fair price.

The problem I believe is that Johnson thinks he is worth #1 WR money and Nix wants to pay him at most #2 WR money (if not less). Several teams should be interested in Johnson, but I don't see any of them showering Johnson with stupid money with other better choices out there.

Let Johnson see his market value for what it is and make his decision. But if after that happens Nix does not step up to at least that fair market value then I have a big problem with him.

Edited by CodeMonkey

THIS!

I can see any team that plays up against the Jets Revis a couple times a year: New England