what to root for this weekend

section122

Posted this elsewhere but thought it would be better if in its own topic...

The few sites I have been on have the Bills slotted in for the 11th pick. Buffalo can pick anywhere from 9-13 depending on various outcomes. The games that affect slotting are as follows.

# in front of team is their current pick

9. Carolina @ N.O. - N.O. is still playing for a bye so they will prob try to win this game

10. KC @ Den - Tebow vs. Orton no way the league lets Tebow lose this game and not make the playoffs (yup I said it)

11. Buf @ N.E. - Pats* still playing for something here

12. Ari vs. Sea - 2 7-8 teams and one will have to win I think Sea will

13. Phi vs. Wash - I think Phi wins this game big

14. Sea @ Ari - see above

15. SD @ Oak - SD has a harder strength of schedule so this game doesn't matter as even with a Buffalo win SD would still be behind the Bills

16. Chi @ Min - see above and Chi will prob win this game anyway

Picks 12-16 are held by teams that are 7-8. SD and Chi both have harder S.O.S. so it doesnt really matter what they do. Ari and Sea play each other so one of them has to win. If the Bills lose with a KC and Car win (both highly unlikely) they would move back to the 9th pick and the win against the Broncos wouldn't have cost them anything (in regards to a draft pick).

The bills can move ahead of KC even if they both lose due to the closeness of the strength of schedule.

uncommon opponents

KC - Det, Min, Ind, Pit, Chi, GB

Buff - Cin, Phi, NYG, Wash, Dal, Ten

when looking at the schedule for KC's teams Det and GB play each other so that game is a wash as well as Chi and Min. that leaves Ind @ Jax and Pit @ Cle - I have a feeling that will be a split leaving there uncommon opponents at 3-3 for the week. To get ahead of them we need to do better than that.

Buff has 2 games that are a wash as well in Phi vs. Wash and NYG @ Dal. That leaves Cin vs Balt and Ten @ Houst. If cincy and Ten both lose (very possible) our strength of schedule will become worse than KC and move us ahead of them in the draft order (assuming we either both win or both lose this weekend.

So in summary root for Ind, Pitt, Balt, and Houston to improve our draft spot ahead of KC. Hope this helps and wasn't to confusing. :thumbsup:

ha!

we're going up against our most hated division rival of the last decade,

in a building we haven't won in, in how long?

coming off an absolute thrashing of one golden boy qb, and a chance to embarass the other.

a sweep of the patriots and a 2 game winning streak to end the year against 2 division champions, not to mention finishing 7-9 after going 4-12 last year...

but moving up 2 slots in the draft is much more important, right?!

come on man, show some pride in your club.

root for the bills to win, don't draw up venn diagrams of how we can move from the 13th to 9th pick.

who cares!

The few sites I have been on have the Bills slotted in for the 11th pick. Buffalo can pick anywhere from 9-13 depending on various outcomes. The games that affect slotting are as follows.

9. Carolina @ N.O. - N.O. is still playing for a bye so they will prob try to win this game

10. KC @ Den - Tebow vs. Orton no way the league lets Tebow lose this game and not make the playoffs (yup I said it)

15. SD @ Oak - SD has a harder strength of schedule so this game doesn't matter as even with a Buffalo win SD would still be behind the Bills

Picks 12-16 are held by teams that are 7-8. SD and Chi both have harder S.O.S. so it doesnt really matter what they do. Ari and Sea play each other so one of them has to win. If the Bills lose with a KC and Car win (both highly unlikely) they would move back to the 9th pick and the win against the Broncos wouldn't have cost them anything (in regards to a draft pick).

The bills can move ahead of KC even if they both lose due to the closeness of the strength of schedule.

uncommon opponents

when looking at the schedule for KC's teams Det and GB play each other so that game is a wash as well as Chi and Min. that leaves Ind @ Jax and Pit @ Cle - I have a feeling that will be a split leaving there uncommon opponents at 3-3 for the week. To get ahead of them we need to do better than that.

Buff has 2 games that are a wash as well in Phi vs. Wash and NYG @ Dal. That leaves Cin vs Balt and Ten @ Houst. If cincy and Ten both lose (very possible) our strength of schedule will become worse than KC and move us ahead of them in the draft order (assuming we either both win or both lose this weekend.

So in summary root for Ind, Pitt, Balt, and Houston to improve our draft spot ahead of KC. Hope this helps and wasn't to confusing. :thumbsup:

i dont think with my brain, of course its confusing.

lets kick bradys ass (literally would be fine too)

im rooting for the bills

im rooting against the jets

that's pretty much it. dont really care where everything else falls.

I'm rooting for the Bills this weekend. I don't care what everyone else does. Let the draft picks fall where they may.

Follow the advice of Dick Butkis.

"I wouldn't ever set out to hurt anyone deliberately unless it was, you know, important - like a league game or something." - Dick Butkis

Sunday is a league game after all.

ha!

we're going up against our most hated division rival of the last decade,

in a building we haven't won in, in how long?

coming off an absolute thrashing of one golden boy qb, and a chance to embarass the other.

a sweep of the patriots and a 2 game winning streak to end the year against 2 division champions, not to mention finishing 7-9 after going 4-12 last year...

but moving up 2 slots in the draft is much more important, right?!

come on man, show some pride in your club.

root for the bills to win, don't draw up venn diagrams of how we can move from the 13th to 9th pick.

who cares!

ummm not sure where I said to root against the Bills anywhere in my post. :wallbash:

I simply put up scenarios affecting our draft position. I will be rooting for a Bills win on sunday just as I do every week. I will however take exception to one of your points. I don't think we have much of a rivalry with the Pats we would have to win some for that to be the case, I think the Jets have been much more of our rival as of late. In talking with Pats* fans they don't hate the Bills. Their rivals are the Dolphins and Jets.

chill out, guys. Why are people being so defensive when talking about draft position? OP never says to root for Bills to lose. He says "So in summary root for Ind, Pitt, Balt, and Houston to improve our draft spot ahead of KC.".

Why are people thinking it's so evil to root for Ind, Pitt, Bal, and Hou in week 17 when none of them plays our divisional rivals? :wallbash:

Edited by syhuang

uncommon opponents

Skip all of that, I'd love to see the Bills sweep the Pats, but doubt it will happen. They want the #1 seed.

So what I will REALLY be rooting for is a little more evil... I want nothing more than for the Jets to lose, or least miss the playoffs. The Bills have basically done exactly what they were expected to do...The Jets though, keep talking all of their trash...Super bowl this, super bowl that...HAH, hopefully those F'ers won't even make the playoffs, and will finish only a game or two better than "the lowly Bills"...

Skip all of that, I'd love to see the Bills sweep the Pats, but doubt it will happen. They want the #1 seed.

So what I will REALLY be rooting for is a little more evil... I want nothing more than for the Jets to lose, or least miss the playoffs. The Bills have basically done exactly what they were expected to do...The Jets though, keep talking all of their trash...Super bowl this, super bowl that...HAH, hopefully those F'ers won't even make the playoffs, and will finish only a game or two better than "the lowly Bills"...

I would def enjoy that as I stated earlier I feel the jets are our biggest rivals as of now. Guess i want my cake and to eat it too!

I will root for the Bills to win, but I can't realistically expect it to happen. I will also root for whatever the scenario is for the Jets to miss the playoffs. I saw an explanation on ESPN of what it takes for the Jets to make the playoffs, and they need a lot of help. If the Jets miss the playoffs, Ryan and Sanchez will be on the hot seat. Ryan may sacrifice Sanchez to save his own butt. That whole situation will be fun to watch.

I will root for the Bills to win, but I can't realistically expect it to happen. I will also root for whatever the scenario is for the Jets to miss the playoffs. I saw an explanation on ESPN of what it takes for the Jets to make the playoffs, and they need a lot of help. If the Jets miss the playoffs, Ryan and Sanchez will be on the hot seat. Ryan may sacrifice Sanchez to save his own butt. That whole situation will be fun to watch.

Soooo very very true!!

There are 4 teams that I have to route against every week. The Paties, Cowboys, Jets, Dolphins. In that order. NE and Dallas fans are all over the place and they all act entitled. I hate those two teams because of their fans. I do not know any Jets fans (Thank goodness!).

I just noticed that all 16 NFL games in Week 17 are divisional matchups. Last year was the same way. Anyone got any dirt on this? It makes sense that they'd schedule it like this, but I'd just be interested to know if the NFL released any explanation on it.

It was the same way in the 2010 season as well, but not before that.

uncommon opponents

Nice job but none of it matters!

chill out, guys. Why are people being so defensive when talking about draft position? OP never says to root for Bills to lose. He says "So in summary root for Ind, Pitt, Balt, and Houston to improve our draft spot ahead of KC.".

Why are people thinking it's so evil to root for Ind, Pitt, Bal, and Hou in week 17 when none of them plays our divisional rivals? :wallbash:

Your theory is sound but given our superb Draft Skills, it may not make a difference.

uncommon opponents

That is a amazing amount of work for nothing.

1325309501[/url]' post='2349181']

I just noticed that all 16 NFL games in Week 17 are divisional matchups. Last year was the same way. Anyone got any dirt on this? It makes sense that they'd schedule it like this, but I'd just be interested to know if the NFL released any explanation on it.

It was the same way in the 2010 season as well, but not before that.

The League mandated it last year to help assure meaningful games in the finale. Great rule!

ummm not sure where I said to root against the Bills anywhere in my post. :wallbash:

I simply put up scenarios affecting our draft position. I will be rooting for a Bills win on sunday just as I do every week. I will however take exception to one of your points. I don't think we have much of a rivalry with the Pats we would have to win some for that to be the case, I think the Jets have been much more of our rival as of late. In talking with Pats* fans they don't hate the Bills. Their rivals are the Dolphins and Jets.

Don't take it personally. I put up a post last week with my thoughts about how ironic it was that the Bills won a game after the pressure was off and they were assured of a losing season. I got hammered too. If you really are a Bills fan, you understand that at this point, next year's draft position is pretty important to building a winning team. I, just like you, always root for the Bills to win. A couple of wins when it really mattered would have been nice though.

Your theory is sound but given our superb Draft Skills, it may not make a difference.

Actually I think it makes a huge difference. If we drafted 4th instead of 3rd last year we may have gabbert on our team right now! Also remember that modrak is no longer with the team.