Injuries, talent, and the 1980 Bills

bbb

I heard a segment today of Schopp and the Bulldog today where they were talking about how much they loved the 1980 Bills (it started by them playing the ridiculous 12 Days of Christmas from that year).

I've said it before on here that every year we seem to lead the league in players on the IR and that it's not just bad luck. I just remember that 1980 team as being the first one my father was psyched about - and he would say that good teams don't get injured - they injure the other team.

So, I just looked at how this played out that year, and it's amazing. Here are the starters and the number of games started. The only season ender that I remember was Jeff Nixon (and then Chuck Knox coaxed Bill Simpson out of retirement to do a very admirable job in his place).

Other than that, 17 of the other 21 starters started every game. Lewis missed two games, Clark missed one, White missed one (and Hutchinson started instead of him twice) and that was it, because Rueben Gant lost his starting job to Brammer and he played every game, just didn't start.

So, other than Nixon being lost for the year, the other starters missed a total of 4 games. That is unbelievable. I know the players are bigger, stronger and faster now, but I still think that talented football teams put the hurt on teams more than they get hurt:

Bills starters and roster for 1980

I heard a segment today of Schopp and the Bulldog today where they were talking about how much they loved the 1980 Bills (it started by them playing the ridiculous 12 Days of Christmas from that year).

I've said it before on here that every year we seem to lead the league in players on the IR and that it's not just bad luck. I just remember that 1980 team as being the first one my father was psyched about - and he would say that good teams don't get injured - they injure the other team.

So, I just looked at how this played out that year, and it's amazing. Here are the starters and the number of games started. The only season ender that I remember was Jeff Nixon (and then Chuck Knox coaxed Bill Simpson out of retirement to do a very admirable job in his place).

Other than that, 17 of the other 21 starters started every game. Lewis missed two games, Clark missed one, White missed one (and Hutchinson started instead of him twice) and that was it, because Rueben Gant lost his starting job to Brammer and he played every game, just didn't start.

So, other than Nixon being lost for the year, the other starters missed a total of 4 games. That is unbelievable. I know the players are bigger, stronger and faster now, but I still think that talented football teams put the hurt on teams more than they get hurt:

Nixon was hurt and lost for the season, then Rod Kush replaced him and he got hurt and lost for the season, then Bill Simpson took his place.

This team was one of the best Bills teams ever.

If they really did have so few injuried it is more of a statistical anomaly than anything else.

A few players on this team had short careers due to injury. Jerry Butler is one along with Brammer, Nelson and Nixson. Many others played a long time. I am amazed at the number of players that plyed 9 years or more that were listed as starters. Wow.

Nixon was hurt and lost for the season, then Rod Kush replaced him and he got hurt and lost for the season, then Bill Simpson took his place.

This team was one of the best Bills teams ever.

If they really did have so few injuried it is more of a statistical anomaly than anything else.

A few players on this team had short careers due to injury. Jerry Butler is one along with Brammer, Nelson and Nixson. Many others played a long time. I am amazed at the number of players that plyed 9 years or more that were listed as starters. Wow.

Did Kush replace him and get hurt in that same game (the Chargers game that made us 5-0?), because that has Nixon starting 5, Simpson 11 and Kush 0.

That definitely was one of the best Bills teams ever, and my favorite one.

I think it's part statistical anomaly and part the way that team played.

While he started every game, you're missing the most important injury. Fergy injured his ankle against the Pats which basically finished this team. This was a SuperBowl team with a healthy Ferguson.

That was a killer! I forgot he got hurt against the Pats. I don't remember him limping against the 49ers like he was in the playoff Charger game.

So, I just figured he got hurt during that Charger game?

I am a big believer in the idea that better teams are less likely to suffer serious injuries. There are exceptions, but in general this is the case I believe.

It stands to reason that the better team is going to wear the other down physically, and cause the other team to play outside their limitations. This happens frequently with the Bills. Especially since the Jauron era began.

AH yes that was the D that was eventually deemed the famed Bermuda Triangle of Smerlas , Haslett, & Nelson what a great D we had back then !!

Coaches & players alike fear the Bills back then :cry: !!! And with a couple of good draft picks this year will again !!!! GO BILLS !!!!!!!!

Did Kush replace him and get hurt in that same game (the Chargers game that made us 5-0?), because that has Nixon starting 5, Simpson 11 and Kush 0.

That definitely was one of the best Bills teams ever, and my favorite one.

I think it's part statistical anomaly and part the way that team played.

That was a killer! I forgot he got hurt against the Pats. I don't remember him limping against the 49ers like he was in the playoff Charger game.

So, I just figured he got hurt during that Charger game?

Yes. I think Kush got hurt the same game as Nixon but maybe it was the following week? I was at RIT back then but still went to most of the games.

I think a healthy Fergy could have given the Bills and Chuck Knox a well deserved Super Bowl.

That was a fantastic Bills team with a great group of veterans and lots of young talent. I loved watching those teams and the old warriors from what I still consider a superior era of football. Maybe those teams would not beat todays teams but the game just seemed to be better back then.

Cheers!

Edited by Bob in STL

Yes. I think Kush got hurt the same game as Nixon but maybe it was the following week? I was at RIT back then but still went to most of the games.

I think a healthy Fergy could have given the Bills and Chuck Knox a well deserved Super Bowl.

That was a fantastic Bills team with a great group of veterans and lots of young talent. I loved watching those teams and the old warriors from what I still consider a superior era of football. Maybe those teams would not beat todays teams but the game just seemed to be better back then.

Cheers!

I think you're right. If we beat the Chargers we would have had the Raiders at home in the AFC Championship game, and the weather it turned out that day was absolutely brutal. I would have liked our chances in that.

Especially, with that mix of players that you mentioned - Cribbs, Smerlas, Butler, etc. were young stars, but what really gave the team character and flavor were the old vets that Knox brought in - Isiah, Simpson, Villapiano, Dobler, Leeks, etc.......And, Reggie was still playing - and was the guy who got on the podium in front of 10K or so of us crazy fans at Prior Aviation in 8 degree weather after they beat the Niners.

While he started every game, you're missing the most important injury. Fergy injured his ankle against the Pats which basically finished this team. This was a SuperBowl team with a healthy Ferguson.

Yeah, that was a big one. I still remember him gutting out that Chargers game. Almost did it on a practically broken ankle too!