Society, what the hell is wrong with you?

Kevin

I'm not going to post a link. But all over the nation there is violence over the new Air Jordan's! In northern California there have already been multiple counts of crazed mobs, shots fired, and tramplings! OVER A PAIR OF SHOES!!!

This society is headed for disaster. Quick.

Edited by Kevin

I hate to be this guy, but it seems to me that black people have an odd obsession with over-priced sneakers.

I don't think that's a "that guy" statement. Cultures (American black culture included) place varying levels of value on objects/experiences.

"That guy" is the person who says, "Haha! Stupid black people and their expensive sneakers!", while sipping a $10 venti frozen caramel mocha choco-latte with soy milk.

I don't think that's a "that guy" statement. Cultures (American black culture included) place varying levels of value on objects/experiences.

"That guy" is the person who says, "Haha! Stupid black people and their expensive sneakers!", while sipping a $10 venti frozen caramel mocha choco-latte with soy milk.

Yea that's true. White people do some stupid things. At least black people don't lose their minds over bottled water.

why would you think that? the interviews of people I saw waiting in lines on the news specifically pointed out a couple instances where the young adults were buying them with a sense of pride. They were kids when the initial air jordans came out and their parents bought them for them...this time around they were using their own money to buy something that meant so much to them....

i mean it's not like people of my age range (45+) would spend way too much money on something we held as nostalgic...(check out concert prices for rock stars that are pushing or in their 70's)....

Half of those people are probably on food stamps, to boot.

Regardless of skin color or whether you blow the money on sneakers or latte, the offensive part is hearing about how many of these same people are "struggling" and "need assistance".

Regardless of skin color or whether you blow the money on sneakers or latte, the offensive part is hearing about how many of these same people are "struggling" and "need assistance".

Bingo. It's not the color of the person; it's the content of his/her character. Unfortunately there's not enough character to go around these days.

Bingo. It's not the color of the person; it's the content of his/her character. Unfortunately there's not enough character to go around these days.

And worse that our society and our government has absolutely zero expectation of anyone exhibiting that character (unless you work for a bank). My parents would have "struggled" to keep six kids fed and healthy too if they had constantly wasted money on expensive crap they didn't need.

• 1 month later...