Question about the "Post-Ralph" Bills

Bronc24

I imagine his wife would become owner and would look to sell. For all the hard working people and city of Buffalo who supported his franchise mostly thru bad years and made him a multi-millionaire, he should stipulate that whoever buys the team should keep it in Buffalo. That would leave quite a legacy of loyalty for Wilson in WNY.

I imagine his wife would become owner and would look to sell. For all the hard working people and city of Buffalo who supported his franchise mostly thru bad years and made him a multi-millionaire, he should stipulate that whoever buys the team should keep it in Buffalo. That would leave quite a legacy of loyalty for Wilson in WNY.

The Bills already offered to negotiate a long-term deal with Erie County is improvements to RWS are made, I'd say that's a step in the right direction.

PTR

You realise he had other businesses and investments too, its not like his sole purpose in life was running the Bills. He has kept the franchise in Buffalo for over 40 years in the NFL, if thats not a good enough Legacy, why would saying that the new owner would have to keep them here make his legacy any better? The guy has proven to be very loyal to a fan base that wishes he was dead and want to force him to sell his team.

You realise he had other businesses and investments too, its not like his sole purpose in life was running the Bills. He has kept the franchise in Buffalo for over 40 years in the NFL, if thats not a good enough Legacy, why would saying that the new owner would have to keep them here make his legacy any better? The guy has proven to be very loyal to a fan base that wishes he was dead and want to force him to sell his team.

I respectfully disagree. I have never wished him dead. What I have wished for is him to care even 1/10 of 1% about winning. His loyalty is not to WNY it is to his family which I am okay with. However I feel a sports team owner is not the same as owning any other business. People become emotionally invested in sports teams unlike in any other business. An attempt at winning not just profiting should be made. Many teams do win and profit as well.

I am sick of hearing how he could have left many times and made so much more money in other locations because I don't believe it to be true. In Buffalo he competes with Hockey and minor league baseball for fan loyalty and support. He has all of upstate NY to draw from as well as Canada because there is no natural local team. Where else could he have all of this? Certainly not LA.

So I ask you how has he proven his loyalty to this fan base? I feel he has taken advantage of our loyalty to his product. Including threats to move, leaving the future in doubt, and selling off one game a year to a location many people fear they will relocate to. That is loyalty to you?!

Congratulating ralph for "being loyal to buffalo" is akin to congratulating your wife for not cheating on you. Just because they aren't doing something bad doesn't mean they are doing good or doing all they can to make the relationship the best it possibly can be.

Congratulating ralph for "being loyal to buffalo" is akin to congratulating your wife for not cheating on you. Just because they aren't doing something bad doesn't mean they are doing good or doing all they can to make the relationship the best it possibly can be.

That's a stretch, isn't it?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The Bills already offered to negotiate a long-term deal with Erie County is improvements to RWS are made, I'd say that's a step in the right direction.

PTR

Whether or not those negotiations begin, and what the result might be, should provide some insight into the future. I understand the value of the improvements is thought to be around $100 million. And is the county and state capable of providing that support?

I assume one condition the government would insist on is that any investment in the facility be tied to a long-term lease commitment with also binds any potential buyer to adhere to the conditons and remain in the Buffalo market.

Two things:

1) Would current ownership agree to such a clause?

2) What would that do to the sale value of the franchise?

If they truly intend to spend upwards of a $100 mil, they had better get an iron-clad guarantee about long-term future tenancy. Anything short of that and I say give them nothing, call their bluff, and let them walk if that's what it comes to. The State of NY is pretty stupid though. I wont be surprised if they give them the 100 mil and then they're able to walk in five years.

Problem is, if there are airtight stipulations like that RW might not go for it. His overriding concern is to sell the team upon his death. I highly doubt he is going to agree to a deal that could prevent the team from being sold quickly, easily, and for the most money possible. My assumption is that majority of interested buyers have no intention of keeping the team in WNY for the long-term. So tying the team to a long-term WNY lease is not in RWs best interest.

These negotiations will be very interesting. More interesting than the football that's been foisted upon us for all of these years.

Whether or not those negotiations begin, and what the result might be, should provide some insight into the future. I understand the value of the improvements is thought to be around $100 million. And is the county and state capable of providing that support?

I assume one condition the government would insist on is that any investment in the facility be tied to a long-term lease commitment with also binds any potential buyer to adhere to the conditons and remain in the Buffalo market.

Two things:

1) Would current ownership agree to such a clause?

2) What would that do to the sale value of the franchise?

I thought this was obvious:

Because the Bills fans have continued to buy tickets and contribute tax funds for all of those 40 years despite a mediocre product. If he sells the team for $500+ million without a stipulation to keep the team in the city that supported it and continues to do so, then his legacy will be ruined.

As it should be.

Like the Steelers owner Rooney used to say, "The fans are your business partners, give them the respect and credit they deserve, and always make decisions that are a win for both sides"

I respectfully disagree. I have never wished him dead. What I have wished for is him to care even 1/10 of 1% about winning. His loyalty is not to WNY it is to his family which I am okay with. However I feel a sports team owner is not the same as owning any other business. People become emotionally invested in sports teams unlike in any other business. An attempt at winning not just profiting should be made. Many teams do win and profit as well.

I am sick of hearing how he could have left many times and made so much more money in other locations because I don't believe it to be true. In Buffalo he competes with Hockey and minor league baseball for fan loyalty and support. He has all of upstate NY to draw from as well as Canada because there is no natural local team. Where else could he have all of this? Certainly not LA.

So I ask you how has he proven his loyalty to this fan base? I feel he has taken advantage of our loyalty to his product. Including threats to move, leaving the future in doubt, and selling off one game a year to a location many people fear they will relocate to. That is loyalty to you?!

Of course he could make more money in LA--that's an absolute no-brainer. How many corporate suites to major multinational corps could he sell in LA vs. Buffalo (as that's where the non-shared money is)? How much merchandising could he do in LA (the second largest city in the US) vs. Buffalo? Folks who've never lived outside WNY often don't seem to understand how much "richer" other parts of the country are--by that I mean in terms both of avg. salaries (and hence avg. ticket prices) and corp. sponsorship opportunities. I love WNY and am glad I grew up there, but there's tons more money to be made elsewhere these days and Ralph should get some credit for staying there despite this.....

If they truly intend to spend upwards of a $100 mil, they had better get an iron-clad guarantee about long-term future tenancy. Anything short of that and I say give them nothing, call their bluff, and let them walk if that's what it comes to. The State of NY is pretty stupid though. I wont be surprised if they give them the 100 mil and then they're able to walk in five years.

Problem is, if there are airtight stipulations like that RW might not go for it. His overriding concern is to sell the team upon his death. I highly doubt he is going to agree to a deal that could prevent the team from being sold quickly, easily, and for the most money possible. My assumption is that majority of interested buyers have no intention of keeping the team in WNY for the long-term. So tying the team to a long-term WNY lease is not in RWs best interest.

These negotiations will be very interesting. More interesting than the football that's been foisted upon us for all of these years.

There are no such things as "airtight stipulations" nor "iron clad guarantee". Not when LA has enough money to buy its way out of any lease that RW signs. When RW dies his heirs sell to the highest bidder. Case Closed.

I am asking this question because I truly have no idea. Who gets the franchise? Or will it be sold?

Ralph has stated he will not bequeth the team to his family. Instead, the franchise will become part of RW's estate, along with other companies and assets he has. The estate assets will be managed by a trustee, who will be obligated to sell the team to the highest bidder, unless RW puts a clause in the will that he wants the team to stay in Buffalo, which he has stated he will not do.

That said, Ralph does seem to be placing the team in a position to survive in WNY, by reaching out to Toronto and Rochester. This may not be wholly ultruistic - in this economy, municipalities are not likely to spend big bucks to court a pro football team. WNY alreeady has a strong fan base, so if he can capture some of Toronto's corporate dollars, and keep profitability high, he can make the Bills an attractive franchise to someone looking for an established team.

Of course he could make more money in LA--that's an absolute no-brainer. How many corporate suites to major multinational corps could he sell in LA vs. Buffalo (as that's where the non-shared money is)? How much merchandising could he do in LA (the second largest city in the US) vs. Buffalo? Folks who've never lived outside WNY often don't seem to understand how much "richer" other parts of the country are--by that I mean in terms both of avg. salaries (and hence avg. ticket prices) and corp. sponsorship opportunities. I love WNY and am glad I grew up there, but there's tons more money to be made elsewhere these days and Ralph should get some credit for staying there despite this.....

No. LA is NOT a football city. I lived in LA when the Raiders were there. It was pathetic. The Raiders couldn't make it work, and moved back to Oakland, just as the Rams moved away years before. Yes they have corporate dollars, but no fan base whatsoever. The few football fans in LA brought their team loyalties with them. CA is broke beyond broke, they will not be funding a football stadium anytime soon.

Edited by JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS