148 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the better RB?

• Fred
    • CJ

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We haven't seen a guy with Spiller's RB skills since Thurman left the building. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to apologize to the Jackson fans for voicing what I'm seeing in Spiller.

Jackson's an excellent workhorse RB no doubt, but Spiller has looked like an even better RB these last three starts. If Chan ever gets his head out of his a$$ and gives him the ball for a full game, you'll eventually be convinced too.

No apologies necessary. The statement about Thurman let's everyone know that you're not really serious. Thanks for the laugh.

No apologies necessary. The statement about Thurman let's everyone know that you're not really serious. Thanks for the laugh.

Relax. There's a difference between skills and career long production. You don't see the same skills? Obviously he still needs to work on the blocking aspect, but Spiller has indeed been showing all of the other skills that Thurman Thomas possessed.

I voted Fred, but I'd like to note that CJ is getting much better and could soon be one of the best. He always lacked patience in terms of blocks and waiting for holes, but now his feild vision is improving and he looks like a great option at WR as well. I think he will shed the "bust" label.

I agree with this 100%, except the only people labeling him a bust are members of this community. This is the only place you can get zero playing time and limited opportunities as a player and get the bust label. Pure nonsense. I do love Freddie, and I hope the team can keep them both here long term.

1324312768[/url]' post='2340260']

There are a lotta troll threads on TBD lately. You should stick to your Fitz hatred rants.

I find it funny that you make this post, then create a poll about Buddy, "just to see how everyone feels".....which is exactly what I did in both my polls. I just wanted to see where tsw stood....just like you. But I'm berated because my first poll was about "fitzmagic". My polls were not without warrant, as I've come in many debates with people who said fitz is a "top 10 qb", "if we had a good defense, fitz would take us to the SB", "look at fitzs stats, he's much better than phillip rivers". Some wanted to see how many people here felt the way those people did. Same with the Fred/spiller comparisons. If you don't like the fact that I think fitz will never be anything more than an average qb and I like to state my thoughts regarding, place me on ignore please. Thx.

To my eyes, Spiller clearly looks to have "figured out" the NFL game. Given that, I think he's become the better of two very good backs after watching his last three starts.

He no longer looks intimidated and his eye-popping talents have come to the surface. He's so much faster and quicker than Jackson (again, who's a very good back).

I would love for Fred Jackson to stay and be the backup to Spiller and give him 10-12 carries. But I just don't see him accepting that role.

Ask the QB who he wants in there when it comes time to pick up a blitzing linebacker. Playing the RB position is just about being able to move the ball down the field. By the way, how is CJ on those 3rd and 4th and short situations when people know he is getting the ball on a dive? Crappy, that's how

Ask the QB who he wants in there when it comes time to pick up a blitzing linebacker. Playing the RB position is just about being able to move the ball down the field. By the way, how is CJ on those 3rd and 4th and short situations when people know he is getting the ball on a dive? Crappy, that's how

How much better is Chris Johnson in the same situation? I hear he's a pretty good back despite not having a ton of power.

At this point in time, I believe Fred is the better back. With the season he was having, there's no denying that. However, I also think that CJ has the higher ceiling talent wise. The kid will only get better from here on out, and i really think he has a legitimate chance of being an elite back in this league.

Fred's age also scares me. As long as he continues to produce like he has, I have total faith in the guy. If we were headed to the post season then he would be the unquestioned starter. But i cant shake the feeling that by the time this team is ready for playoff contention, Fred will have lost a step or two.

Who's calling anyone names?? Huh??? Why is it ugly? I simply asked who you thought was better? That's all. I think Fred is a great back. I think Fred a good back that can become great. I didn't call anyone names. Did someone else?

Did I say you did? Relax. Are you naive enough to not realize this debate is always lined with vitriol?

All you did was "ask who was better"? Yeah ok. That's like saying all I did was ask if we should have kept Maybin. I think you need to take a bit more responsibility than that.

You don't see the same skills? Obviously he still needs to work on the blocking aspect, but Spiller has indeed been showing all of the other skills that Thurman Thomas possessed.

What an absolute ridiculous statement. First of all, Thurman's game was not about speed it was about patience, vision and versatility. He was an amazing reciever and good in the open field and ran with more power than you'd expect for a little guy.

Spiller is not patient and can't break a tackle to save his life and isn't elusive either. I'm not saying that he isn't going to be good but he will never come close to Thurman. What you are saying is blasphemous.

They are both good. Personally, I don't care who is better. I voted for CJ, only because he has more "home run" hitting potential, and is younger. If you have to keep one (which you don't...you can keep both when you are 30 freaking million below the cap) I'd keep CJ.

Every team needs need TWO quality running backs. Even if you have a stud like Peterson, if you don't spell him once in a while he will get injured. If you try to ride one RB all year, you end up with injuries. (Peterson, Jackson, Murray in Dallas, etc, Frank Gore, etc.). Splitting the carries is much better. Look at the Steelers. When they had Bettis, they also had Willie Parker. This year they have Mendenhall and Ike Redman. The Packers have several good RB's. Detroit tried to ride Best, that didn't work out so well. They should have employed him and Smith in tandem. Denver has McGahee, but Tebow is another RB or can be used like one, and even McGahee missed time due to injury.

Conclusion: They are both good, we need them both, and there can be no defending the "bean counters" if Freedie is not resigned this offseason for 3 more years. (I know, we have him next year, but pay the guy and lock him down now before some other team way over pays him. Like, I don't know, the Redskins who love paying too much).

On a related note, how is White from UNC that we drafted? He does not get much time, but I'd like to see him in short yardage situations the next two weeks to see what he can do. Also, I don't believe McGahee was good at short yardage the first few years, but he is a short yardage monster the last few, so CJ has some time to learn.

Edited by RyanC883

I find it funny that you make this post, then create a poll about Buddy, "just to see how everyone feels".....which is exactly what I did in both my polls. I just wanted to see where tsw stood....just like you. But I'm berated because my first poll was about "fitzmagic". My polls were not without warrant, as I've come in many debates with people who said fitz is a "top 10 qb", "if we had a good defense, fitz would take us to the SB", "look at fitzs stats, he's much better than phillip rivers". Some wanted to see how many people here felt the way those people did. Same with the Fred/spiller comparisons. If you don't like the fact that I think fitz will never be anything more than an average qb and I like to state my thoughts regarding, place me on ignore please. Thx.

Your act on gameday with the Fitz hate is obsessive. Btw, I think Fitz is nothing more than an average QB.

I made the troll comment because you start the thread after Spiller had his first good game. Plus, you compared Fred, who was having one of the best season ever by a Bills RB, to a RB who's started 2 games.

Buddy has had almost 2 years and the team is regressing. I didn't compare him to Polian. If you can't see the difference I can't help you out.

How much better is Chris Johnson in the same situation? I hear he's a pretty good back despite not having a ton of power.

At this point in time, I believe Fred is the better back. With the season he was having, there's no denying that. However, I also think that CJ has the higher ceiling talent wise. The kid will only get better from here on out, and i really think he has a legitimate chance of being an elite back in this league.

Fred's age also scares me. As long as he continues to produce like he has, I have total faith in the guy. If we were headed to the post season then he would be the unquestioned starter. But i cant shake the feeling that by the time this team is ready for playoff contention, Fred will have lost a step or two.

How much better is Chris Johnson at what? Dive plays, much better. Picking up the blitz he sucks. He is in the bottom 5 in the league while Fred is top 10.

The answer is they both are good.......They are different types of RB's......To all the TBD'ers with "spiller" agendas then of course Fred is way better.....and Cj still can't "hit the hole"....

The correct answer is they both can play.....Both have talent.....I think we might pass on a RB in the draft this year!....WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Little early to be asking this question, Fred is the obvious choice as of this year. He was on his way to being a MVP. CJ is improving but he is not were Freddy is. Blocking, being slippery in the middle, knowing his assignments, Rx......... Maybe after another year and CJ maturing as a RB this would be better discussed! CJ has potential, i will give him that and has improved each game his is started, but not ther yet!

I voted for Fred, because he was a top5 NFL MVP candidate when he got hurt.

That said, I say wear CJ out these last two games! He has held up well in the last few games, so lets see IF he can handle 22-27 touches.

What is there to lose? Then we know what he is capable of heading into next year.