What's your favorite chili recipe?

Winter is chili season, and a lot of guys swear by their patented chili recipe, so I thought I'd open up a forum.

I'm an Irish-Mexican American mutt, so here's what I do...

Sage's Pot O' (Gold) Guinness Chili:

- 1.5 pounds beef chuck, diced

- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes

- 2 tbsp. olive oil

- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper

- 1 tsp. cumin

- 2 small onions, minced

- 2 cloves garlic, minced

- 3 jalapeno peppers, minced

- 1.5 bottles Guinness (the other half to be drunk by the chef)

- 1.5 dry cups pinto beans (soaked overnight)

- salt to taste

- Cholula hot sauce (or Frank's) to taste

Served over a bed of rice, and sprinkled with extra sharp cheddar cheese.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

I can't tell you my chili recipe but it does contain one special ingredient and that is unsweetened chocolate is added at one point. Sounds weird but they are actually a traditional complement with eachother - chili peppers and chocolate. It's not meant to be noticed, but offers balance. My Chili recipe wouldn't be considered "real chili" either because traditional chile doesn't contain any beans. But I love beans in chili - all sorts of different kinds combined. Same with peppers both hot and sweet. Getting the beef nice and brown with a nice fond on the bottom of the pot is the start to a great chili. O.K that's two hints. :)

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I can't tell you my chili recipe but it does contain one special ingredient and that is unsweetened chocolate is added at one point. Sounds weird but they are actually a traditional complement with eachother - chili peppers and chocolate. It's not meant to be noticed, but offers balance. My Chili recipe wouldn't be considered "real chili" either because traditional chile doesn't contain any beans. But I love beans in chili - all sorts of different kinds combined. Same with peppers both hot and sweet. Getting the beef nice and brown with a nice fond on the bottom of the pot is the start to a great chili. O.K that's two hints. :)

Interesting, and thanks for the tips. I've a soft spot for all kinds of peppers as well. Most chilis I've had contain beans...matter of semantics I suppose.

Interesting, and thanks for the tips. I've a soft spot for all kinds of peppers as well. Most chilis I've had contain beans...matter of semantics I suppose.

I agree. A nice blend of peppers adds killer flavor. The thing about hot chili peppers is they have tremendous flavor which is often overlooked because of the heat. In terms of what I call and mean by "real chili" it is in context to chili competitions in the United States. Beans are a no-no. I disagree with this however.

Recipe? I just throw things together. I thought that was the whole point behind chili, frankly...take a good base (beef - though I've seen pork, chicken, and turkey used, tomato paste, beans, onions, peppers), and add other ingredients to taste. Which in my past chilis have included: merlot, Worcester sauce, A1 steak sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, orange juice, crushed pineapple, cinnamon, allspice, honey, grated asiago cheese...

Guinness and unsweetened chocolate are interesting possibilities, though (probably not at the same time...unsweetened chocolate and merlot should compliment each other nicely, though). Have to try those.

Recipe? I just throw things together. I thought that was the whole point behind chili, frankly...take a good base (beef - though I've seen pork, chicken, and turkey used, tomato paste, beans, onions, peppers), and add other ingredients to taste. Which in my past chilis have included: merlot, Worcester sauce, A1 steak sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, orange juice, crushed pineapple, cinnamon, allspice, honey, grated asiago cheese...

Guinness and unsweetened chocolate are interesting possibilities, though (probably not at the same time...unsweetened chocolate and merlot should compliment each other nicely, though). Have to try those.

For me, chili just "happens" - no real recipe

*LAMP* - I won First Place (ever) in a contest last month - another one coming up in January

Being in Mexicali = I have been using some chorizo, beer and mexican beans - different flavors indeed -

Won't go to the chocolate side - although many do

It's not about the heat (no 6 alarm here) - it's about the spice

I have to make a double batch for the office party on Thursday - break out the big pot !

Chili all comes down to the quality of the chili powder in my opinion. I use a mix of ancho and chipotle, always freshly ground, not that stuff thats been sitting in the back of the cupboard for a decade. The crucial part in my recipe is to mix the chili powder, cumin, coriander and mexican oregano into the hot oil just long enough so that the flavors will release (spices are fat soluble) but not long enough to burn, and then douse (deglaze if we're getting fancy) with whatever beer I'm drinking, toss in the tomatoes and beans, and then let it simmer for hours. I typically go for a mix of ground pork and ground beef and play with different kinds of fresh chili peppers which I cook down with the onions and then garlic. Couldn't be simpler and always great.

Chili all comes down to the quality of the chili powder in my opinion. I use a mix of ancho and chipotle, always freshly ground, not that stuff thats been sitting in the back of the cupboard for a decade. The crucial part in my recipe is to mix the chili powder, cumin, coriander and mexican oregano into the hot oil just long enough so that the flavors will release (spices are fat soluble) but not long enough to burn, and then douse (deglaze if we're getting fancy) with whatever beer I'm drinking, toss in the tomatoes and beans, and then let it simmer for hours. I typically go for a mix of ground pork and ground beef and play with different kinds of fresh chili peppers which I cook down with the onions and then garlic. Couldn't be simpler and always great.

This is superb advice especially the part about the process of adding the flavor of dry spices to a chile. I'm impressed!

Ancho chilli peppers are money, aren't they? :thumbsup:

Post your recipes here... http://forums.twobil...cookbook-forum/

I was going to remind people about that - thanks! :)

I haven't had time to copy everything from the old cookbook yet... But we really need more recipes here. The thought was that we'd then offer up a printed TSW Cookbook with proceeds going to some WNY charity of some sort, depending on how much money we raised. I'm hoping to get back on this soon -- and since school will be over for me in a few months, I should have more time. :)

I was going to remind people about that - thanks! :)

I haven't had time to copy everything from the old cookbook yet... But we really need more recipes here. The thought was that we'd then offer up a printed TSW Cookbook with proceeds going to some WNY charity of some sort, depending on how much money we raised. I'm hoping to get back on this soon -- and since school will be over for me in a few months, I should have more time. :)

I don't have recipes; every time I cook, I basically wing it. We really only have one recipe in the house. My wife's rum food recipe:

Make cake.

Pour half a bottle of rum over it.

i always add cocoa powder to my chili recipe...as well as corn flour....no recipe...just add stuff as i go along...